Sin bins to be put on trial | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sin bins to be put on trial

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Blue are set to be used for sin bins

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Quote of the day thus far came from former referee Dermot Gallagher: There was a short clip on Talksport where he was talking about sin bins and blue cards. He made the point that it hasn't been canvassed enough as already there are lots of different thoughts emerging. At some stage he mentioned blue cards before later finishing with "the whole thing is not as black and white as people think". Priceless.

Mar 22, 2020
Indeed thinking about it further, while we are at it I would like to see less sending offs as they tend to ruin the game, but instead in certain circumstances a penalty awarded no matter where the foul took place - especially for those "last man" offences.
I agree that sending off can spoil the entertainment value but I'm not so sure that this happens too often. When you look at the referee stats in the build up the red card count is incredibly low in ratio to the yellows IMO. I too don't like this 'take one for the team' nonsense it's blatant cheating and should be a straight red anywhere on the pitch whether or not it endangers anyone. I'm sure it used to be so. They'd soon stop doing it if they knew they would be sent off.

Reactions: memory man

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I agree that sending off can spoil the entertainment value but I'm not so sure that this happens too often. When you look at the referee stats in the build up the red card count is incredibly low in ratio to the yellows IMO. I too don't like this 'take one for the team' nonsense it's blatant cheating and should be a straight red anywhere on the pitch whether or not it endangers anyone. I'm sure it used to be so. They'd soon stop doing it if they knew they would be sent off.
You are right that the introduction of a red card punishment does reduce the number of transgressions. If you go back to the 1980 FA Cup Final it was that cynical challenge by Willie Young of Arsenal that eventually forced the change in the rule. At that time such challenges were routine when a player broke away but only attracted a yellow. I seem to recall that within a couple of years it became a red card offence, and rightly so. Now it much rarer. I just wish now that we could eradicate the holding and wrestling at corners. I am sure two or three penalties a game would quickly sort it. The two-handed shove in the back when a player is jumping is back in style now - and I have yet to see it punished even when it is right in front of the official. When did that become legal?

Reactions: mervyn

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
How about having referees with a back bone and giving out cards every time somebody gets in his face.
When 4/5 players get a yellow all at once how long before the team is down to 9 men after (cynical) fouls.
Don’t think it would take rocket science for the message to get through.
The EPL is becoming unwatchable for the real fans.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Blimey .... haven't we learned enough lessons from 'The Law of Unintended Consequences' from the VAR fiasco?? That sounded great in principle too - "we've got all these cameras and can quickly and easily check if the ref has made a mistake .... it will only take about 6 seconds!"

Now we'll have endless rows about Blue cards that blatantly should have been Red, Yellows that should have been Blue ... Blue cards that are a signal for Wycombe-esque time wasting and fake injuries as the team affected runs down the clock for their player to re-appear then rows about what time counts. Will we use VAR to check the Blue card decision?

Football used to be such a simple game ......

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I reckon they should introduce 'Joker' cards too, and each team captain is allowed to carry 3 cards each. Then if one of Team 'A''s players gets a blue card, the team captain can play one of his cards and nominate one of the opposing players to the sin-bin instead. Also all the players should wear giant clown boots rather than their Nike Phantoms.

Don't think football is quite ready for the return of Stuart Hall, though.

Mexijan1

🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽
✅ Evergreen
Jul 17, 2023
Just read that if a keeper gets a blue card then either an outfield player has to go in goal or a permanent GK substitution has to be made. Getting a bit schoolyard..... rush and scrap keepers, headers and volleys only and no making your own jam sprang to mind. Too many of the current bunch of whistle blowing muppets seem to struggle to apply the laws of game as is....God help us when we complicate it even more.