Sin bins to be put on trial | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sin bins to be put on trial

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Also on trial will be only captains can approach a referee

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
IFAB is expected to give the go-ahead to a trial of sin-bins for dissent and tactical fouls from next season, with the FA Cup potentially being the biggest competition to use them.

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
The higher levels don't have that many instances of dissent as they ignore those offences in full public view on TV ... they may have a couple high profile ones like Darwin Nunez at weekend but largely go unpunished.

Grassroots sin bins have been in place for a few years and players still appear shocked when they are used.

Can't see this working in FA Cup it'll just be paying lip service.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Will managers be included who are persistently in the 4th officials ear & where would the sin bin be placed - who would be ensuring the players stay in the sin bin for the allocated time

Jan 6, 2004
I have always felt that if a "professional foul" is worthwhile then the rules of the game are wrong. It should not be possible to benefit by cheating so certain current yellow card offences (eg a foul to prevent a break) are not currently heavily enough punished. I would also be in favour of automatic penalty goals if the foul prevents a near certain goal (eg when a goal keeper pulls down a player that has got around them)

Reactions: Miles Away
Jan 6, 2004
Indeed thinking about it further, while we are at it I would like to see less sending offs as they tend to ruin the game, but instead in certain circumstances a penalty awarded no matter where the foul took place - especially for those "last man" offences.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Will managers be included who are persistently in the 4th officials ear & where would the sin bin be placed - who would be ensuring the players stay in the sin bin for the allocated time
One of the complaints from grassroots referees is that the timekeeping of the sin bin absence is another task added to their workload especially when it is not just a straight 10 minutes but has to be extended to take into account stoppages during that time. Obviously where there is a fourth official this can be delegated but it is no surprise that at grasssroot level, more players get sin binned with 10 or fewer minutes remaining which means the referee doesn’t have to manage the sin bin time.

Problem with accumulated yellows is that they can be manipulated. Several years ago at a Charlton v MK Dons game, the Charlton fans around me explained that a particular player was going to take a yellow in the 2nd half, as the game he would then miss was against a non-league side in the FA cup. Sure enough the player deliberately stood in front of an opposing player to prevent him taking a throw in, and on the third attempt he duly received his yellow. What surprised me was the ref and linesman laughing, as everyone knew what was going on.

I regularly watch bandy here in Sweden - which is more or less field hockey on ice. Most of the rules resemble football. It has had sin bins forever, and they don't stop the clock if the ball goes dead.

You can't really time-waste while someone's in the sin bin, because you risk joining them there and going down to 9...

Teams do of course become more defensive when they're a man down, but it's difficult to change from attacking free flowing play to completely parking the bus and then back again 10 minutes later, so I don't think it's that big a problem.

I think it helps cut down on persistent or dangerous fouling, but doesn't really eliminate the cynical fouls. Ultimately, if it's worth taking a yellow for the team, it's probably worth taking a sin-bin for the team.

Another interesting aspect is that you can immediately leave the sin bin if the opposition score, to avoid double punishment.

Mar 22, 2020
Getting opposition players sin binned by simulation and other dark arts will be commonplace and no doubt used as a tactic to gain an advantage. Var might be able to police it at prem level but overall I think it will just encourage more cheating and be impossible to officiate.