Seven restaurants at Home Park after redevelopment complete | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Seven restaurants at Home Park after redevelopment complete

C

CADMAN

PL2 3DQ":1voh2sfq said:
Quizmike":1voh2sfq said:
There are a lot of these kind of developments in the South East and they are surprisingly popular. The amount of choice is seen as a selling point

Exactly! And also elsewhere around the country, the stadium at Northampton, as an example, is surrounded by restaurants.
It's not until you see other towns and cities that you realise how much Plymouth is missing out with the lack of choice for restaurants.
For instance we have no Brewers Fayre or Hungry Horse and yet these are everywhere around the country.
We also have just one Harvester and Toby restaurants where some other cities have at least two.
These national chains are very popular.
There is a Brewers Fayre on the Barbican, next to the aquarium.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Pettgreen":n59tpe12 said:
Everyone seems to think it'll be the usual suspects opening the restaurant space. It's quite possible that the tenders could go to smaller artisan operations. I would like to think so. 3 branded and 4 small businesses. Branded high street chains are really suffering at the moment as the industry is bloated. Simply put there are waay to many coffee shops and restaurants. These out of city centre projects are to the detriment of town centre but in my view the landlords of the town centre spaces only have themselves to blame.
Sorry i'm rambling here on a subject i'm very passionate about.
I do not see an issue with the number of tenders being put up but I would like to see smaller outfits get a chance to be part of a project like this.

I'm not sure you'll find any small artisan operations willing and able to sign the 25yr leases Brent is after.

Aug 5, 2005
Mork":rv7f6v40 said:
Quizmike":rv7f6v40 said:
There are a lot of these kind of developments in the South East and they are surprisingly popular. The amount of choice is seen as a selling point
“a selling point “ to who???

To people who are going out to eat

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
There are always clauses in these contracts. The lease can also be sold. 25 yrs is long. Recently signed a lease for Brighton station and it was 7 years and that was steep. It really depends on the make up of the lease. Fashion in eating out changes every 7 years or so. Faster in London so a 25 yr tender for a single brand is nuts.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Quizmike":1g8jjrt0 said:
Mork":1g8jjrt0 said:
Quizmike":1g8jjrt0 said:

But it’s the company’s that need convincing that there’s enough it for them. Judging by the previous scheme there clearly not!

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Pettgreen":5o97gpqx said:
There are always clauses in these contracts. The lease can also be sold. 25 yrs is long. Recently signed a lease for Brighton station and it was 7 years and that was steep. It really depends on the make up of the lease. Fashion in eating out changes every 7 years or so. Faster in London so a 25 yr tender for a single brand is nuts.

You're right. It is.

But Brent needs these long term guarantees from committed tenants....that is what in essence pays for the build. It's a fundamental flaw that was instrumental in the failure of HHPmk1. Well that and the fact the whole circus was jaw-droppingly abysmal.

Aug 5, 2005
Mork":jf90tpqt said:
Quizmike":jf90tpqt said:
Mork":jf90tpqt said:
Quizmike":jf90tpqt said:

But it’s the company’s that need convincing that there’s enough it for them. Judging by the previous scheme there clearly not!

Judging by what previous schemes?

I've already stated that there are many successful examples of these types of developments elsewhere. Have you been to one?

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
The point re City centre decline is fair enough, but, in many places around the UK there have been investments in out of town leisure parks along these lines.

To add to the Northampton reference, Wigan has a large retail and leisure area next to the ground. We played there on the Tuesday night this season and between late evening shoppers and fans going to the game, there was a lot of footfall but no difficulty that I saw. There is a cinema there and outlets such as Costa and Frankie & Bennys as well as stores such as Next & Boots among others. Thinking back, it was a similiar set up at Pride Park too although few years back we last played there so may be different.

As an occasional visitor now to Plymouth, I feel everything has been based (for very good reasons) around the City Centre/Hoe/Barbican on the restaurant front. I have also said how little hotel choice there is too. Still no Hilton for example or Malmaison Many of these hotel chains are already based in other "major" cities in UK.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The previous scheme was anchored by, and relied upon, the big IMAX cinema. Once Bretonside came up with a similar scheme in a better location, HHP was sunk.

This one doesn't rely on that big anchor tenant, so I'm not sure the schemes are terribly similar.

Feb 28, 2016
Biggs":2lzc1c30 said:
The previous scheme was anchored by, and relied upon, the big IMAX cinema. Once Bretonside came up with a similar scheme in a better location, HHP was sunk.

This one doesn't rely on that big anchor tenant, so I'm not sure the schemes are terribly similar.

Without that anchor tenant I would have thought there would be even less interest. As for the office space/Argyle/vets providing plenty of footfall throughout the week, who goes to a restaurant (even a Dominos/Nando’s takeaway service) on a daily basis? If people don’t take their own dinner I would wager most won’t buy much more than a pasty/ pack of crisps/ chocolate bar. Not a full on sit down meal.

It will never work.

May 22, 2006
Sorry to add another negative voice to this thread, but this idea is bizarre in the light of Prezzo, Cafe Rouge, Jamie Oliver and Carluccio's all closing many of their branches.

I cannot see how this will work. Just google "uk restaurant chains going under" and you'll see what a bad idea this is. The industry is clearly facing a crisis.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Biggs":mummz5t5 said:

On the contrary, they are extremely similar.

HHPmk1 was wholely reliant on tenants signing up before building could progress. So is Brent’s Western Gateway build along with the offices and retail units planned for the Southernmost part of Higher Home Park.

The fact there isn’t even any Cinema plan in this latest venture to provide regular footfall, would point to similar difficulty in persuading tenants to sign very long costly leases.

May 8, 2011
Ham Green":24q5dqi7 said:
Sorry to add another negative voice to this thread, but this idea is bizarre in the light of Prezzo, Cafe Rouge, Jamie Oliver and Carluccio's all closing many of their branches.

I cannot see how this will work. Just google "uk restaurant chains going under" and you'll see what a bad idea this is. The industry is clearly facing a crisis.

These units won’t be built for at least two years so by then the economical cycle will be completely different.

It is likely they will become available just as there is an upturn in the economy.

As Argyle are guaranteed a share of the profit from the HHP development we should all be hoping it is a success. Strange that some Argyle fans seem to want it to fail.

Aug 5, 2005
The Grumpy Loyal":1sp5z7mk said:
Biggs":1sp5z7mk said:

HHPmk1 was wholely reliant on tenants signing up before building could progress. So is Brent’s Western Gateway build along with the offices and retail units planned for the Southernmost part of Higher Home Park.

The fact there isn’t even any Cinema plan in this latest venture to provide regular footfall, would point to similar difficulty in persuading tenants to sign very long costly leases.

There's an ice rink, the Life Centre and a football stadium

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Quizmike":1kj7exxt said:
The Grumpy Loyal":1kj7exxt said:
Biggs":1kj7exxt said:

There's an ice rink, the Life Centre and a football stadium

Plus parkland and free parking.