Seven restaurants at Home Park after redevelopment complete | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Seven restaurants at Home Park after redevelopment complete

Feb 2, 2007
That’s a lot of restaurants in one space, out of town. I would imagine rents will be cheap initially to get brands interested- Pizza Express will be one of them I would guess.

Jan 6, 2004
nick_PASTIE":65prwpx9 said:
That’s a lot of restaurants in one space, out of town. I would imagine rents will be cheap initially to get brands interested- Pizza Express will be one of them I would guess.

My guess is that it will be restaurants that incorporate a delivery/take out service given it is in a densely residential area. Without the draw of a cinema or even shops, it is hard to envisage people flocking to central park for dinner on a rainy week night. Yes they will be busy once a fortnight in the football season but that cannot sustain a business.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Green_Flash":28pli9u7 said:
nick_PASTIE":28pli9u7 said:

My guess is that it will be restaurants that incorporate a delivery/take out service given it is in a densely residential area. Without the draw of a cinema or even shops, it is hard to envisage people flocking to central park for dinner on a rainy week night. Yes they will be busy once a fortnight in the football season but that cannot sustain a business.

Remember all the office space, hotel and gymgoers, plus all the employees of those businesses plus Argyle. And I would have thought with a combination of hotel + conferencing + office space, there will be a hell of a lot of business lunching.

There will be a lot of permanent people based in that area as well as the visitors/football fans etc.

Dec 19, 2009
lunarjetman":2eg0uawx said:
Green_Flash":2eg0uawx said:
Given the new cinema complex, the number of empty units in the city centre, empty units in the RWY, I cannot think it is good planning to allow another set of chain restaurants to open up in Central Park - surely it is better to make sure existing areas for evening entertainment are thriving rather than create new ones.

The commercial developments, including the hotel, are going to do a lot of damage to the city centre and the character of the park in my opinion. It was a weak decision by the Council. There are more appropriate places for this type of development. However, allowing the development was easiest thing for the Council to do as it would be wrongly percieved in the media as holding back Argyle and the city.

The Council had little choice to be honest and it would have been far worse than just holding Argyle back. Brentie was the only realistic option to bail Argyle out then so it was a case of accept his proposal or be seen as the bad boys who confined PAFC to the history books. The only positive thing to say is we still at least have a club to support.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
keyser soze":1qozx3rg said:
The only positive thing to say is we still at least have a club to support.

The ONLY positive thing to say?

Really?

I must admit though, all this stuff DOES change that area of Central Park. From a potholed mess, to a sports and leisure destination people actually want to visit.

The park itself is barely touched.

Jan 6, 2004
Biggs":2ohr35nx said:
Green_Flash":2ohr35nx said:
nick_PASTIE":2ohr35nx said:

Remember all the office space, hotel and gymgoers, plus all the employees of those businesses plus Argyle. And I would have thought with a combination of hotel + conferencing + office space, there will be a hell of a lot of business lunching.

There will be a lot of permanent people based in that area as well as the visitors/football fans etc.

A small hotel, a gym and a small office block cannot sustain 7 restaurants. I just don't see it and business lunches don't tend to take place in the Nandos type joints that are likely to occupy.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Biggs":wqag7egw said:
keyser soze":wqag7egw said:
The only positive thing to say is we still at least have a club to support.

The ONLY positive thing to say?

Really?

I must admit though, all this stuff DOES change that area of Central Park. From a potholed mess, to a sports and leisure destination people actually want to visit.

The park itself is barely touched.
And then go for a bite to eat in one of seven restaurants?? Why would any restaurant be interested in that amount of competition & where’s the foot fall? The previous scheme didn’t go ahead because of lack of interest. What’s changed?

Aug 5, 2005
There are a lot of these kind of developments in the South East and they are surprisingly popular. The amount of choice is seen as a selling point

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Quizmike":1zzp5nmg said:
There are a lot of these kind of developments in the South East and they are surprisingly popular. The amount of choice is seen as a selling point
“a selling point “ to who???

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Quizmike":ap2t30y0 said:

Exactly! And also elsewhere around the country, the stadium at Northampton, as an example, is surrounded by restaurants.
It's not until you see other towns and cities that you realise how much Plymouth is missing out with the lack of choice for restaurants.
For instance we have no Brewers Fayre or Hungry Horse and yet these are everywhere around the country.
We also have just one Harvester and Toby restaurants where some other cities have at least two.
These national chains are very popular.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
PL2 3DQ":2nzlyane said:
Quizmike":2nzlyane said:

Exactly! And also elsewhere around the country, the stadium at Northampton, as an example, is surrounded by restaurants.
It's not until you see other towns and cities that you realise how much Plymouth is missing out with the lack of choice for restaurants.
For instance we have no Brewers Fayre or Hungry Horse and yet these are everywhere around the country.
We also have just one Harvester and Toby restaurants where some other cities have at least two.
Usually these developments are accompanied with shops. If you were right, then why was there a lack of interested companies in the previous scheme?

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Everyone seems to think it'll be the usual suspects opening the restaurant space. It's quite possible that the tenders could go to smaller artisan operations. I would like to think so. 3 branded and 4 small businesses. Branded high street chains are really suffering at the moment as the industry is bloated. Simply put there are waay to many coffee shops and restaurants. These out of city centre projects are to the detriment of town centre but in my view the landlords of the town centre spaces only have themselves to blame.
Sorry i'm rambling here on a subject i'm very passionate about.
I do not see an issue with the number of tenders being put up but I would like to see smaller outfits get a chance to be part of a project like this.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
PL2 3DQ":24l4890y said:
Quizmike":24l4890y said:

Trust me Plymouth is missing nothing by not having those chains in town!!!!

T

The Grumpy Loyal

PL2 3DQ":11736bvb said:
Quizmike":11736bvb said:

The latter three you mention are pub chains that do food. They won't fit the letting criteria of these units. Brewers Fayre's are usually attached to a Premier Inn, so that is a possible.