Saturday | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Saturday

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
We are absolutely brilliant at defending-there's no two ways about that.

If anyone can have a good go and shutting Swindon out, it's us. If we're as solid as we were today, and get a breakaway goal then who knows.

By the way, I really don't think we were lucky today. I think we defended well. There's a real distinction to be made there.

Oct 24, 2010
Argyle Nutter":yn0gmj5h said:
If you went Today you wouldnt be thinking that, More like all the hard work over the past few games could be undone when we get mullerd.

Sorry but although we won today we deserved nowt & how we won I will never know.
We won because we kept a clean sheet, we are very close to safety because we've only conceded a total of six goals in the last thirteen games.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
And to be fair in 4 out of 5 of the last games we have hit the woodwork !!!

Surely we deserved some luck today

Also at Macclesfield how we werent 3-0 up before there last gasp equaliser !

Sep 23, 2005
Plenty of defending practice today so we should be ready for Swindon. Looking forward to a game when not too much is expected of us and we might just surprise a few.

Dec 28, 2010
The result of the Swindon game is all speculation but the one thing that is a fact;

THE ATMOSPHERE WILL BE BUZZING!

COYG

May 22, 2006
Should be a massive crowd on Saturday. Swindon , top of the league had the highest attendance today - 78 more than our slightly disappointing crowd for Aldershot.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
esmer":285fp5mt said:
We won because we kept a clean sheet, we are very close to safety because we've only conceded a total of six goals in the last thirteen games.

That's pretty amazing performance really and the consistency of it shows that results like today's are NOT simply luck. I've been saying for a while now that we tend to score only 1 or 0 goals per game and tend to concede only 0 or 1 goals per game, so that our results are all tending to be 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 or 1-1. It's a really striking run of results. If we could score more than 1 goal we'd be a naughty team.

Mar 14, 2009
GreenSam":3bgsetl7 said:

If anyone can have a good go and shutting Swindon out, it's us. If we're as solid as we were today, and get a breakaway goal then who knows.

By the way, I really don't think we were lucky today. I think we defended well. There's a real distinction to be made there.

You dont??

I can think of three moments already...

1. The ball in the box in the first half and one of their players hit it on the half volley and somehow Larrieu got a hand to it and got it over the bar

2. When Williams and Larrieu left it to each other and Larrieu tried to make a slide tackle. missed him and somehow we got it away

3. The head that hit the post, then hit Larrieu and went off out for a corner

Defendsively we are organised. Yet the last 3 home games we need lady luck smiling on us!!

Mar 14, 2009
The Doctor":c2xfixqu said:
esmer":c2xfixqu said:

That's pretty amazing performance really and the consistency of it shows that results like today's are NOT simply luck. I've been saying for a while now that we tend to score only 1 or 0 goals per game and tend to concede only 0 or 1 goals per game, so that our results are all tending to be 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 or 1-1. It's a really striking run of results. If we could score more than 1 goal we'd be a naughty team.

Yeah but for that to happen we would need to have a strong midfield who could pass the ball.

Argyle must learn to get higher up the pitch else they will concede goals because luck will run out on them!

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":2vdl8bsm said:
GreenSam":2vdl8bsm said:

You dont??

1. The ball in the box in the first half and one of their players hit it on the half volley and somehow Larrieu got a hand to it and got it over the bar

2. When Williams and Larrieu left it to each other and Larrieu tried to make a slide tackle. missed him and somehow we got it away

Defendsively we are organised. Yet the last 3 home games we need lady luck smiling on us!!
1) Because we had a very good shot stopper in goal for us. That's not luck, that's the competance of our keeper.
2) Well it was clear how we got it away, because Purse was perceptive and capable enough to get in there and clear it. Again, the competance of one of our players, not luck.
3) I'll give you that one.

But if you were at Shrews and Bradford (don't know if you were or not), you'd have seen similar scenes in those games as well. Surely there becomes a point where you stop blaming it on luck and start saying it was just blooming good defensive work?

Like in number 3 of your list, there are incidences of luck that go our way yes. But what if the ref had checked his watch 30 seconds earlier at Macclesfield. What if Walton's penalty was half an inch to the left at Hereford? I know it's a cliche but luck DOES (at least in our experience it more or less has) even itself out.

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
In terms of home form/away form over 10 games they have the form edge.. in terms of home and away over the last 6

6 Swindon Town 6 4 1 1 6 2 +4 13
7 Plymouth Arg. 6 3 3 0 5 2 +3 12

Mar 14, 2009
GreenSam":1cvqgscd said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1cvqgscd said:
GreenSam":1cvqgscd said:

You dont??

1) Because we had a very good shot stopper in goal for us. That's not luck, that's the competance of our keeper.
2) Well it was clear how we got it away, because Purse was perceptive and capable enough to get in there and clear it. Again, the competance of one of our players, not luck.

But if you were at Shrews and Bradford (don't know if you were or not), you'd have seen similar scenes in those games as well. Surely there becomes a point where you stop blaming it on luck and start saying it was just blooming good defensive work?

Like in number 3 of your list, there are incidences of luck that go our way yes. But what if the ref had checked his watch 30 seconds earlier at Macclesfield. What if Walton's penalty was half an inch to the left at Hereford? I know it's a cliche but luck DOES (at least in our experience it more or less has) even itself out.

Im a season ticket holder since 2000 after I came back from University.

You say luck even's itself out. Well if thats the case then we are going to get a huge dose of bad luck soon because as I stated the last 3 home matches have been so fortunate. How Shrewsbury and Bradford didnt score I dont know on those match days either.

We are our own worse enemy. We sit so deep and pass it around our 18 yard box, and create our own problems. Of course we have improved since the start of the season but we couldnt of got much worse as we lost nine and drew one of the first 10 games.

We have a formula where we are just battling our way out of this. It might achieve our goal short term.

In terms of footballing ablity though I am simply not seeing it. Infact I havent seen it for some time. I dont expect wins. Or vintage displays. Yet when I do expect is for us to play like the "home" side and have a period of pocession and chances. How many chances did we create today? And that was a flukey cross which ended up in the net. Things have to change!

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":38g60kc9 said:
GreenSam":38g60kc9 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":38g60kc9 said:
GreenSam":38g60kc9 said:

You dont??

Im a season ticket holder since 2000 after I came back from University.

You say luck even's itself out. Well if thats the case then we are going to get a huge dose of bad luck soon because as I stated the last 3 home matches have been so fortunate. How Shrewsbury and Bradford didnt score I dont know on those match days either.

We are our own worse enemy. We sit so deep and pass it around our 18 yard box, and create our own problems. Of course we have improved since the start of the season but we couldnt of got much worse as we lost nine and drew one of the first 10 games.

We have a formula where we are just battling our way out of this. It might achieve our goal short term.

In terms of footballing ablity though I am simply not seeing it. Infact I havent seen it for some time. I dont expect wins. Or vintage displays. Yet when I do expect is for us to play like the "home" side and have a period of pocession and chances. How many chances did we create today? And that was a flukey cross which ended up in the net. Things have to change!
We'll have to agree to disagree then.

We play a defensive, sitting game and we're very good at it. Our defence is good, our keeper is good and it's why we don't concede many goals, despite the opposition having a lot of chances. It makes me wonder how many clean sheets it'll take for some of you to start thinking that it's in fact not luck, it's the fact that we have a defensive gameplan and we're fantastic implimenting it.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
GreenSam":iun9bhyj said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":iun9bhyj said:
GreenSam":iun9bhyj said:

You dont??

Re. #3 in the list and luck evening itself out. Remember the recent game when Robbie Williams's free-kick struck the post then the keeper and went out for a corner to Argyle. I'd say that was pretty similar to what happened today with Larrieu.

#1 was a great save