Ryan Broom - £500k fee | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Broom - £500k fee

Oct 19, 2021
It's just the way it is. Every club buying a player usually only do so knowing they can make the money back.

Broom going into his late 20s isn't a very saleable asset.

Mike Cooper and Luke Jephcott aged 21 are much more valuable to the club.
If he was 29 I would agree with you. The fact is if we signed him for £300k (I don’t believe he would actually cost 500k), and he proved to be a reasonable championship player, which I think he could be, then teams would be happy to spend much more than £300k on him by the time he is 27/28.

Reactions: Emu and Knibbsworth
Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
Well we could sign a player on a 2 year contract and pay him £4,700 a week, and that is around £500,000.

Now I imagone Broom will want more than £4,700 a week in wages, he will want what a £500k transfer at a top League One/Championship club earns. Well he will if his agent has any sense anyway.

So factor in the cost of Broom's expected wages and this Peterborough deal is gonna cost Argyle over a million quid.

Or we could go back to the drawing board and look for the next 'wee nugget' that is available or gathering dust on some club's reserve bench.

Craig Noone from Skelmersdale.
Jamie Mackie from Exeter.
Yannick Bolasie from wherever in Malta he came from.

The bargain bins are where we are used to shopping to find value.

A Peterborough reserve for £500,000 isn't a good value deal for us.

Broom is a very good player, bur there is little resale value there considering his age. If he loses form, gets injured or stops playing as spectacularly well as he has been, it's £1m+ down the drain.
That's why despite nearly bankrupting us the Mpenza transfer was a risk worth taking 1 year contract at 10k per week equals £500k for an international player as opposed to 500k for steve maclean plus wages both ended up Shute but you get the sentiment

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
He must stay until the end of the season, minimum.

As long as we match any offer than gets accepted by Posh then we are ok.

If no offer comes in then we keep him on loan.

To say he isn’t needed that much and £x amount is money down the drain is awfully naive.

He is absolutely pivotal to the success we are having now and to keep DM out of the team suggests just that.

He has to stay beyond January, on line or permanent.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Like anyone at Argyle is going to take any notice of some of the rubbish posted here! Who cares what anyone on here thinks about Broom's perceived value?

There are two people only, who have an interest in his value...Ryan Lowe and Neil Dewsnip. If they think he is worth 500 Sovs, then that is what they will put to Simon Hallett when push comes to shove.

Reactions: stewthenoo
Dec 7, 2012
Like anyone at Argyle is going to take any notice of some of the rubbish posted here! Who cares what anyone on here thinks about Broom's perceived value?

There are two people only, who have an interest in his value...Ryan Lowe and Neil Dewsnip. If they think he is worth 500 Sovs, then that is what they will put to Simon Hallett when push comes to shove.
I’d hope they‘d value him a bit more than 500 Sovs!
That‘s only a monkey Guv.

• Haha
Reactions: gru mpy and Andy S
Dare I suggest that any team with an irreplaceable player is a replaceable team. Across the three Wednesday games I thought Wednesday had many really gifted players, but poorly organised, as two of last night’s goals proved. It’s interesting that each time one of our key players is absent, the replacement has slotted in as though he’s a regular for that position. I would really hate to lose Broome, but in no way will we need to pay silly money to keep him.

I’m also coming to the conviction that this team is better than Sturrock mark 1 or Shilton’s, because you can’t identify a single weakness in any position. If you were an opposition manager planning your strategy against us, where would you start?

Reactions: Deacster and saxman

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I’m also coming to the conviction that this team is better than Sturrock mark 1 or Shilton’s, because you can’t identify a single weakness in any position. If you were an opposition manager planning your strategy against us, where would you start?

Spot on. I've been watching Argyle since I moved to Plymouth in 1992 and I don't think I have seen a better Argyle team and certainly not one that plays with the same level of confidence. It is clear that every single play knows exactly what they are supposed to be doing, what is expected of them, how they fit into the whole and they are all following the instructions and guidance they are being given to the letter. There is also a fairly unique connection between the team and the fanbase at the moment - I suspect this is because i) people were starved of any kind of real connection last year and ii) no-one was really expecting this. Whether we can sustain this over a whole season is another matter.

If I had to identify weaknesses I would initially identify two... First (and somewhat unbelievably) I think the weakest position in the team is Joe Edwards at right wing-back - that's not to say that he isn't doing a very good job but, for example, Sheffield Wednesday had a lot of joy down that flank last night and should have punished us and I just feel that it's an area of the team that could potentially be made stronger. Secondly, for a team that is scoring plenty of goals and seems pretty commanding in defence I don't think we pose anything like enough threat from set pieces.

(sorry - none of the above relates to Ryan Broom - the subject of this thread!)

Apr 30, 2011
Hopefully a sensible outcome will prevail. Loan extended to the end of the season with a £350,000 fee agreed on the basis that we are promoted. If we weren't promoted, we could attempt to negotiate another price or Peterborough could look elsewhere to sell him on the back of a (hopefully) good full season in L1. That would seem a win/win to me.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Sep 22, 2020
as said it is of no relevance to fans what the club pay. without him i think the team would be weaker. certainly he brings more to the team than mayor which is why he is on the bench.

Reactions: Devongreenowl

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Hopefully a sensible outcome will prevail. Loan extended to the end of the season with a £350,000 fee agreed on the basis that we are promoted. If we weren't promoted, we could attempt to negotiate another price or Peterborough could look elsewhere to sell him on the back of a (hopefully) good full season in L1. That would seem a win/win to me.

How can the loan be extended to end of season? He’s on a season long loan

Reactions: Andy S