Rugby World Cup | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rugby World Cup

Sep 28, 2022
Could I just say what a magnificent weekend of International Rugby Union we have just experienced. Every quarter final match was exciting and edgy to watch, every match was superbly referred with clear and well managed decisions and Var situations. Every match the referee was in charge of the time so that we could all see, all the players respected the referee and each other to the point of shaking hands after previously having "a difference of opinion" and playing with total honesty. Even the crowds were magnificently intermingled with no hint of aggravation. Football could and should learn so much from the presentation and conduct of Rugby Union on and off the pitch. Sadly that won't be the case as we all know, as the FA in this country anyway seem to remain aloof and blind to advice to improve our national game.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Could I just say what a magnificent weekend of International Rugby Union we have just experienced. Every quarter final match was exciting and edgy to watch, every match was superbly referred with clear and well managed decisions and Var situations. Every match the referee was in charge of the time so that we could all see, all the players respected the referee and each other to the point of shaking hands after previously having "a difference of opinion" and playing with total honesty. Even the crowds were magnificently intermingled with no hint of aggravation. Football could and should learn so much from the presentation and conduct of Rugby Union on and off the pitch. Sadly that won't be the case as we all know, as the FA in this country anyway seem to remain aloof and blind to advice to improve our national game.
You missed the people dressed up as Nelson launching people around the stands last night then?

As for the rest of the post, completely agree, the rugby was brilliant in every game.

Sep 28, 2022
I deliberately ignored them as a group of England fans (typically) having too much to drink. The other 300,000 + fans over the four games behaved impeccably whatever the result with regards to their own team.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Even the crowds were magnificently intermingled with no hint of aggravation.

I saw the Lions play Argentina at Cardiff back in 2005 (25-25 draw: that was a cracking match). I assumed there would be segregation between the two sets of fans, you know 1982 and all that, so was a little (pleasantly) taken aback to find fans from both sides all mixed together. I recalled thinking at the time there would be no chance of that happening in an England Argentina football fixture without some aggro kicking off. But no, there was plenty of good humour and friendly banter, but nothing more than that.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I must admit I saw the end of the England match on about 78 minutes (I can't stand much more if I'm honest) but the gravitas of the game even grabbed me.

I don't like rugby and I don't understand rugby, but I've heard all this about England being rubbish and all that malarkey but aren't we the only home nation team still in it?

The cream always rises it appears, even in such a silly game.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Well done Ian. It is a different set of emotions to watching football. You are very unlikely to get a single score or a pointless draw in rugby, which is why nothing can match a goal in football. But, I have been on the edge of my seat watching some of these world cup games, even when England aren't playing, great stuff!

And your last sentence is spot on... cream at the top, jam first!! :ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: AdelaideGreen

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
A Scotsman, an Irishman and a Welshman were stood in a bar. The Englishman couldn't make it as he was still involved in the World cup.
I don't understand rugby either and have only seen the SA v France and Ireland v All Blacks games as I don't do group games generally whether it be rugby or football, but they were absolutely rivetting and top quality. A shame the four best teams had to meet as early as the quarter finals but a SA v NZ final should be another epic encounter.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
I'd be very surprised if we win Saturday. We're improving but South Africa are just on a different level. I'd say South Africa will win by 15.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I deliberately ignored them as a group of England fans (typically) having too much to drink.

So basically, "Even the crowds were magnificently intermingled with no hint of aggravation" was a load of rubbish then?

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Great global rugby word cup
England europe
Argentina south america
South Africa, Africa
New Zealand southern hemisphere

Well spread out teams.

So down to business.
What do Eng have to do to beat the boks?

Kick everything, drop goal everything. Cant compete in the scrum, their ruck speed is impressive. Eng way too slow build up.
I dont think we will win simply down to the fact we will give away lots of pens.
But id like to be proven wrong.

Apr 16, 2016
As a rugby ignoramus, what are the prospects of us getting through the semi-final?
Slight.
The only chance would be for SA to be complacent , but they don't really entertain complacency. Should the coaches sense even a hint of fading passion they might just give them a light reminder of Lord Kitchener , scorched earth and the concentration camps of the Boer War.

I met a big Afrikaaner boy in a pub out there once, just prior to a Lions series some years back. He was good fun, but he let me know just how much it meant to him for the Boks to beat the Lions. He told me the name they have for any South Africans still loyal to Britain ( probably none now):
"Sout -piel" - meaning " salt- @£$k" - 'one leg in South Africa , one leg in Britain with your private part dangling in the sea'. ( It's in the database of racial slurs, apparently, but I was not at all offended, appreciating his warm humour )

If you want to understand their mindset watch the attached clip - Start at , say, 23 mins 20 secs in. It covers them playing England, as big underdogs that time, in the last World Cup final with England spending 15 minutes camped on the SA try line.
As Duane Vermeulen said of that try line :
"You draw a line in the sand and on this side you defend your family, your country, your people and you don't let ANYONE get into that space".
Tendi Mtawariri said " break a leg, lose a shoulder - I was willing to do whatever 'cos that's how much it meant to me to help South Africa achieve greatness "
(If you don't shed at least one tear before the end of the episode as you hear of the heartbreaking hardships of some of the players you might just be emotionally lacking :))
Politicians divide, rugby unites.

Interestingly both sides have a lot of the same players as in that final and sport throws up surprises - just as England were surprise losers last time, they could be surprise winners this time.