Rugby World Cup | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rugby World Cup

Sep 28, 2022
Someone mentioned in an earlier post that they didn't like baseball, basketball or American football and I am very much of the same opinion. The one common denominator is that they are all "American" games of a let's be honest, of a simplistic manner. Generally lots of points scored, not overly technical and, may I suggest, basic in the extreme. The Americans haven't taken to snooker and pool is king, another basic simplistic game. Is there a connection here one wonders, I think there is and I think we probably all suspect what it might be. Now let me see, Joe or Donald!.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
American football ... simplistic manner ... not overly technical and, may I suggest, basic in the extreme.
American Football has, rightly, been described as chess with real human pieces. It is very technical with each set of coaches trying to out-think each other and the players having to think on the fly when the planned moves break down. If you think it is simple then you don't understand it. Each teams 'playbook' is so thick it takes new players weeks to learn.

Reactions: Eastbourne Green
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
American Football has, rightly, been described as chess with real human pieces. It is very technical with each set of coaches trying to out-think each other and the players having to think on the fly when the planned moves break down. If you think it is simple then you don't understand it. Each teams 'playbook' is so thick it takes new players weeks to learn.
Likewise baseball. It's an extremely technical and complex game - if you know enough about it.

Sep 28, 2022
American football has been described as "chess with human beings" has it! No doubt by an American, and obviously one who has never watched cricket!. I, m sorry but I don't accept the intricacies of America football are more involved than cricket, Rugby Union or indeed football or most other sports for that matter.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
American football has been described as "chess with human beings" has it! No doubt by an American, and obviously one who has never watched cricket!. I, m sorry but I don't accept the intricacies of America football are more involved than cricket, Rugby Union or indeed football or most other sports for that matter.
Doubling down on the ignorance, then. "I don't think it can be true, therefore it can't be."

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat
Sep 28, 2022
"I don't think it can be true therefore it can't be" is not what I said. I don't doubt that other people have their own opinion, I stated my own opinion and the last time I looked, I, m still entitled to voice that opinion. So please don't expose your own ignorance and "assume I speak for all".

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
"I don't think it can be true therefore it can't be" is not what I said. I don't doubt that other people have their own opinion, I stated my own opinion and the last time I looked, I, m still entitled to voice that opinion. So please don't expose your own ignorance and "assume I speak for all".
That's just the kind of post that's all too common in these post-truth times in which we live. And I mustn't "assume you speak for all?" Eh? What is that even supposed to mean?

Your views would be taken more seriously if they were based on knowledge rather than proud ignorance. People throwing around strong opinions on matters about which they demonstrably know nothing is, depressingly, now more common than ever.

Sep 28, 2022
So sorry Micky D to have explain again Micky D,maybe I should bow down to your extensive knowledge of American sport evidently and no doubt most other topics. People throwing around opinions on which they have no knowledge of, interesting. Presumably these people throw around ideas that a) you don't agree with and b) obviously their knowledge of all matters is obviously inferior to yours no doubt.Once again "in my honest opinion" most American sports tend to be "uncomplicated" compared to other sports that are a part of our culture here in the United Kingdom. How do you know what my knowledge level is, obviously blind ignorance to hold such opinions that don't relate to yours.

Sep 28, 2022
Cricky moses, why has nobody challenged the earlier post which said that Rugby Union is a silly game with the same fervour that has been applied to my posts. Ah maybe because it was posted by the site manager so better not question his personal opinion, not that I am by the way. He has an opinion, as I do, simple as.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The Site Manager hasn't posted on this thread. I have. It was said (sort of) tongue in cheek as everyone knows what I think of Rugby. I think you may have missed the nuance of that post.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Wow, South Africa have won by one point yet again! All credit to them.
All Blacks played with 14 men for over half the game and came close.
A zillion times better than watching any of that American crap (although they can cut out blasting out music during the stops in play).

Sep 28, 2022
Well said Lousy Pint, although my initial post of all American sports being somewhat "simple" for the benefit of most Americans was also initially nuanced. But after the reaction of one or two I felt the need to "defend" my thoughts. Enough said. Now for the cricket World Cup final although that also won't make any news in America!!.

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
I don't much like American football either, but to say that it's simplistic is just ridiculous.
Sorry, but they get to think and plan out their “plays” it’s all choreographed and written down on the quarterbacks wrist. Planned called plays, the epitome of “top down“ an americanism, like corporate America it’s all decided by one “manager” at the top. Not improvisation or creativity, just play by your “run book”. 30 seconds of action and minutes of standing around, and the fact you have offensive and defense teams is just garbage.

Reactions: Sun Stonehouse