RIP Paul Mariner | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

RIP Paul Mariner

Sep 16, 2009
I remember when Argyle used to warm up in front of the Devonport End before every home kick off and we used to chant the players names, 'Oh Billy Billy........ 'Jim Furnell........... Hugh Macauley walks on water.......... and then MARINER MARINER. The big man would always respond to the crowd by holding his arms aloft and enjoying the applause. I was 14 years old and he was my first hero.

Rest easy Pilgrim

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
demportdave":bzr37ohv said:
davie nine":bzr37ohv said:
Verdi Godwin, courtesy of GoS.
Thanks davie.

I should have known GOS would come up with the facts again,

Pasted from Wikipedia (hope that is OK):

Following his spell with the Stags, Godwin became a journeyman and spent short spells with Middlesbrough, Grimsby Town, Brentford, Southport, Barrow, Tranmere Rovers and finally Macclesfield.

Personal life
After retiring from football, Godwin worked during the summer for 36 years as a lifeguard on Southport beach.
He was award the British Empire Medal in recognition for his service.

Different being a post war footballer eh?? :think:

jthep

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Apr 28, 2011
Wow - have just watched the ESPN clip. Tears rolling down my cheeks

Never realised how much the man was loved

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
That was a hard watch, for good reasons.

Some fool has got my keyboard wet!

Dec 29, 2011
RIP Paul Mariner..Probably my first football idol as a 12 year old kid.Gave me one of my best argyle memories with 2 goals in 5 minutes at Stamford Bridge.Argyle fans everywhere that day.Chelsea fans around me that day said he was going to be a star player in the making .

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
There was a superb obituary in Monday's Times. The final paragraph quotes Bobby Robson being asked in his retirement years to name the best strikers he worked with in his career managing Ipswich, PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Porto, Barcelona, and Newcastle. He answered, Lineker, Romario, Figo, Van Nistelrooy, Shearer and Paul Mariner. What a tribute to be named alongside those great international players.

Reactions: Caribou
Jul 13, 2021
Also just watched espn tribute, really nice piece. Unfortunately never saw him play live for Argyle but did for England. Finally got to meet him in person at the Tony Waiters promotion reunion, and he was as nice as I imagined. Two legends now gone so close together RIP

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
I agree that yesterday’s Times obituary was excellent and well worth a read.
As an exile in London watching the Mariner/ Rafferty partnership at work the most confident I have ever been at away matches in London over the years. My son reminds me that I started to take him to away matches in that period from the age of 5 He still recalls the partnership but says it did give him a false impression of what might follow over the next almost 50 years!

• Haha
Reactions: metroace
Aug 5, 2015
I watched the Mariner/Rafferty season on Argyle TV yesterday. It was really nice to see in their respective interviews that each of them had very fond memories of the other and their time at Argyle.Considering what Mariner went on to achieve it was very moving to hear him speak so warmly about his relationship with Rafferty.This was epitomised a couple of years ago at the Waiters reunion when they came on to the pitch arm in arm. No airs and graces. Nice one chaps. So sad to lose both Waiters and Mariner in short order