RIP Paul Mariner | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

RIP Paul Mariner

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
cheshiregreen":3fmabyj3 said:
We are home to Ipswich at end of October. This would be just a little over 45 years after his last Argyle appearance v Cardiff.

Maybe the club will look to turn this into a tribute day to our legend. Sure the Tractor Boys fans would play a full part in any celebration of his life.

I'm not so sure because the club has a policy of only remembering those connected with the club who had passed away at the last match of the season, although there is a clause that at the club's discretion this can be changed.
I remember an issue a few years ago someone of distinction ( I forget who) had passed away during the season but wasn't remembered until the last match of the season.

Hopefully something can be done to honour and remember Paul.

club policy.

Arsenal have only just sent their sympathies within the last hour and are being heavily criticised by their own fans for taking so long in remembering Paul.

Oct 21, 2015
All the previous heartfelt thoughts and memories from fellow greens are a powerful tribute to a very special talent that lit up Home Park ...always destined for greater stages with Ipswich, Arsenal and England BUT always thought of as OUR player by proud greens ...that says it all. You don't get to legendary status by chance ...I hope our club are able to recognise this in an appropriate way...I am sure they will. RIP Paul.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":38ht77zm said:
cheshiregreen":38ht77zm said:
We are home to Ipswich at end of October. This would be just a little over 45 years after his last Argyle appearance v Cardiff.

Maybe the club will look to turn this into a tribute day to our legend. Sure the Tractor Boys fans would play a full part in any celebration of his life.

I'm not so sure because the club has a policy of only remembering those connected with the club who had passed away at the last match of the season, although there is a clause that at the club's discretion this can be changed.
I remember an issue a few years ago someone of distinction ( I forget who) had passed away during the season but wasn't remembered until the last match of the season.

Hopefully something can be done to honour and remember Paul.

club policy.

Arsenal have only just sent their sympathies within the last hour and are being heavily criticised by their own fans for taking so long in remembering Paul.
....................................................................................... or at the club's discretion if an individual who has represented the club with distinction has passed away.

Former player, coach, head coach and legend must surely put Paul in that bracket.

John Squire

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 28, 2008
Now retired to Uffculme near Willand!
How sad.
Been watching Argyle since 1957, and Paul Mariner was the most talented player to wear the Argyle shirt.
Even sadder with my wife and I celebrating our 50th Wedding Anniversary with family and friends today.
I can remember going to Wembley in May 1982 to see England play the Netherlands. Paul, typically scored the second goal in the 2-0 victory, and I had great delight in telling the fans around me, “HE’S ONE OF OURS!!”
RIP big man. ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
That 'club policy' reads like something the EFL have enforced on clubs.
If it is Argyle's policy, then they need to change it pronto. Ridiculous.
As cheshiregreen suggests, the game against Ipswich could (and should) be a great opportunity to remember the great man.
Come on Argyle, you can do this!

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
RIP Paul. Hero!

He was a greatly talented player but to that he added hard work and immense courage.

He will have needed that courage in recent years. RIP Paul. :nworthy:

Nov 12, 2008
Weston
very sad news I lost my hero today as far as I am concerned the greatest no 9 ever and with that in mind shouldn't we call for the no 9 shirt to be "retired" for at least one season as a mark of respect until we have a statue erected outside Home Park or is this going too far?

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
R.I.P. Gone but will never be forgotten, privileged to see him play so many times, often from the Grandstand with tickets gifted by Paul.

Wexford Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
✅ Evergreen
Jan 20, 2005
Ballygarrett, County Wexford, Ireland
Very sad to hear of the passing of Paul Mariner. Him and Billy Rafferty were the reason I started supporting Argyle as an exiled 10 year old Plymothian living in Yorkshire. The first time I saw him score was a brace in a 2-2 draw at Ashton Gate. RIP Paul

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
A few years ago when Paul was Argyle head coach he gave away his jacket to an Argyle fan after an away win...I think it might have been at Ipswich...and then realised that he had left his glasses in one of the pockets and had to go looking for it....but I digress... I had the pleasure of watching Paul in an Argyle shirt many many times and was deeply disappointed when he left and signed for Ipswich....there you go...

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I’ve supported Argyle since 1956 and seen some great players in that time. It did not take us long to realise that this was a very special player. How we managed to sign him from a northern non-league club ahead of the numerous clubs in that area has always been a mystery but I am sure glad we signed him and had the pleasure of watching the Mariner/Rafferty partnership for a few years before his career really took off with Ipswich and England.

RIP, Paul and thanks for the memories.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Nice to read that the youngsters paid tribute to him this afternoon:

The game began on a somber note as both teams observed a minute’s silence in honour of former Argyle, and England striker Paul Mariner who sadly passed away overnight.

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/report-argy ... -arsenal-1