Replacements for Ennis, Mayor, Cosgrove... | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Replacements for Ennis, Mayor, Cosgrove...

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
My sense was that when he played, Ennis was the best player in L1 last season. A quick glance at the stats supports that. He averaged a goal or assist every 102 minutes played, better than Conor Chaplin (107 minutes) and Jonson Clarke Harris (133 minutes). Unlike Ennis, I think both those players took penalties too. Ennis also almost always delivered his goals/assists at vital moments in tight games.

I'm not sure we would be higher up the league if Ennis had stayed, because of his injury record and other signings we'd have had to forego in order to be able afford to keep him. However his departure undoubtedly meant a massive loss in quality, and that we had to spend money and bring in really outstanding players just to get back towards the quality we had last season.
A quick glance at his career stats would suggest that he had a hot spell last season - one that i and i',m sure every Argyle fan is grateful for. But until its replicated, its just that one good streak. Previous seasons dont look good, neither does this.
As for being the best player in league one, well i think i'd have to politely disagree entirely.

Jul 12, 2016
Not sure why people continually bring up Ben Waine’s age when defending his lack of impact. He’s 12 months younger than Haaland. 6 months younger than Whittaker. If he was good enough he’d be doing it by now. He’s just not Championship level quality.

I do agree with your main points though. The return of Ennis for the run in was a huge part of the reason we went undefeated after the Wembley shambles. We’d be 5-6 points better off if we had a fit Niall Ennis this season as his hold up play and ability to nick a goal in tight games was invaluable. A massive loss for us.
Tin hat on but have to disagree. Never rated Ennis so not sorry to see him leave but thought he was ok as a league one player. Not sure he would have made the step up.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
An excellent post,Furthermore it is my view that Alfie may at £250,000 was a bargin even at his age and we should have gone for him

As others have posted - getting Alfie May to relocate to Plymouth was an absolute impossibility whatever the transfer fee, so I don't know why his name keeps getting mentioned. :unsure:

Jul 12, 2016
Sorry to bring this up again. Genuinely not trying to stir up any bad vibes or anything like that... however...
I did think in the summer it was bizarre that these three players weren't properly replaced. I was ridiculed months ago by many on here and by various Argyle friends of mine who just went along with the line of "Schuey, Dewsnip and co know what they are doing... chill out..." However it's clear now that not replacing AT LEAST two of these three players have cost us.

Weirdly, many people will react with the fact that Ennis is injury prone. That's not the point at all. His presence last season, along with those other two i've mentioned made the difference between finishing top and in the play offs where I'm fairly sure we'd have been beaten, lacking that one-match edge that other teams have. So we needed to find a replacement for Ennis in the summer as mentioned when he signed for Blackburn. But that's proven to be a difficult task even for our management, who for the most part so far have been top quality.

Not a brainbusting theory but it's obviously far more difficult to attract great attacking players, as they generally cost more and obviously bringing in Whittaker and then Azaz back on loan was good business. For me the signing of Luke Cundle has been the third best bit of business (behind Gibson/Whittaker) in the summer transfer window however it doesn't take away the fact we never replaced Ennis, Mayor and Cosgrove. Even if you count Bundu he is nothing in terms of positioning like the three players above.

When we go round and round and round on various posts regarding defeat after defeat this point doesn't really get mentioned, but the reality is we should have replaced these players AND not only that but with BETTER players. Simple stuff, but difficult to implement. Arguments about the defence being a bit porous are kind of invalid, or who should play at full back (I mean that's another argument as in a back 4 do we have proper full backs at hand?) BUT ultimately it's all about goals...goals keep you in a division especially if you can't keep clean sheets and we just can't rely on Hardie, Whittaker and Cundle.

So my initial theory months ago was that we need to stay above that relegation zone, as far up as possible until the January transfer window kicks in... to then strengthen especially up front, however with talks of most / all of the budget blown I wonder what the plan is from the board and management moving forward? To have one senior striker on the books along with a very young player in BW is extroadinary! IF we can't improve our attacking options then our only hope is to drastically improve defensively and rely on nicking draws here and there (contradicts my porous comment lol.) That means that even Cooper in goal isn't guaranteed a spot because our defensive unit have all been at fault for goals conceded these past few weeks.
Ennis was playing in league one last season. This is a totally different ball game

Reactions: greenpig27
Oct 31, 2022
This was the point I was going to make. How can it be a problem that we haven't replaced three attacking players when we're among the highest goalscorers in the division?

Okay, so I get that someone like Ennis had the ball retention qualities that can take pressure off a team, but the key issue for me is that our back four just aren't good enough as a unit. Scarr and Pleguezuelo have both had more troughs than peaks and are both better suited to a back three IMO, while only one of our fullbacks (Joe Edwards) is actually any good at 1v1 defending.

If for some reason we lost Schuey tomorrow, you can guarantee any new manager coming in would immediately set about trying to make us more solid at the back - be it through recruitment or on the training ground.

The return of Saxon Earley should help, but we have no idea how he'll cope with the step up in standard.

I still think it was a mistake to abandon our successful formation from last season. The tactical tweaks Schuey made after the MK Dons 5-0 were wildly successful, but I think he got a bit carried away with his own success in rolling the tactical dice again this summer.

You sign two players for a million quid and then play them in different positions in which all and sundry can see they aren't as effective. Dan Scarr was recruited to play in a three but is now being asked to play in a two against Championship forwards. He's coping but only just. Callum Wright was recruited as a No.10 but is being played out wide. Azaz has been good but his very best form for us came when he had another No.10 alongside him.

I think it was a change that was made for the sake of change and one that isn't getting the best out of our squad.

As usual, I agree with almost everything you've said Woodsy. Certainly the part about Ennis. He's the only outbound business that I think was poor / a shame. The club did what they could in the summer, but ultimately it wasn't enough. I don't think we should be letting talented 23 year olds run down their contract. But hind sight is 20/20.

But I do have to disagree about change for change sake.

Schuey said at the start of the season that the 4-3-3 was the system to use to counter 3 ATB systems. I honestly have no idea if this is true or not, but I can only take his word for it. Pretty much every side in the Champ (and PL) has moved away from 3 ATB and is playing 4-3-3. So I think we just evolved with football, rather than change for change sake. I would fear that swapping back to 3-4-2-1 would have us using the weaker system vs most sides using 4-3-3.

You and I both agreed earlier in the season that the 4-3-3 wasn't getting the best out of Whittaker. But I think Whittaker has massively improved in the last month or so, along with his work-rate defensively. I also think that the midfield, particularly Cundle, are now better at spotting the times when they have to go wide to support the FB. I think Mumba finds his defensive responsibilities far more natural which I think comes at a cost of him being less effective going forward.
I'd love to know the stats behind Mumba's ball carrying, because I'm pretty sure that there would still be some metrics that he's excelling in, despite not relentlessly delivering like he did last season.

I think Finn playing deeper just highlights his biggest weakness (and I'd guess it's the same weakness why Villa aren't using him). He's 23 but he really hasn't developed physically yet. He's a marvelous footballer, but he can't ride challenges and rough people up yet. That's not his fault, it's just his body. If he had developed, he'd be in and around Villas first team, I'm sure of it. So this 8 role means he's tackling more and having to ride challenges more, whereas as a 10 he didn't have to do that as much. I cannot stress enough how much I think we should be buying Finn in Jan/summer. 6 months on his deal so won't be too expensive. If we can wait for his body to develop, we'll have a PL player within our team when it eventually happens.

As for Saxon... I really rate the player. But I do have a reservation about his injuries. He isn't constantly injured because of a reoccurring muscular injury.
It's constant dislocations, breaks, sprains etc. It's all well and good being firm in a challenge and tough enough to throw your body into tackles and blocks, but surely at some point, somebody has to tell him to calm down... He's spending 70% of the season injured because he doesn't seem to have learned the balance of risking his body and being highly physical. I do remember him saying if he wasn't a footballer, he'd being playing rugby. That doesn't surprise me at all. Perhaps I'm being harsh and he's just been unlucky, but after watching him play and getting injured, I don't sit there thinking it's any great surprise.

Reactions: Belfast Green
Sep 3, 2009
My sense was that when he played, Ennis was the best player in L1 last season. A quick glance at the stats supports that. He averaged a goal or assist every 102 minutes played, better than Conor Chaplin (107 minutes) and Jonson Clarke Harris (133 minutes). Unlike Ennis, I think both those players took penalties too. Ennis also almost always delivered his goals/assists at vital moments in tight games.

I'm not sure we would be higher up the league if Ennis had stayed, because of his injury record and other signings we'd have had to forego in order to be able afford to keep him. However his departure undoubtedly meant a massive loss in quality, and that we had to spend money and bring in really outstanding players just to get back towards the quality we had last season.
100%

Apr 1, 2009
Who has Cundle replaced if he hasn't replaced Mayor? Not absolutely like for like, but we are playing a different formation for much of the time. Cundle is undeniably an improvement in terms of goals and assists.

Some have talked of replacing Matete. Presumably Warrington is his replacement, but as yet has not demonstrated the physicality of last season's loanee. However, some exaggerate the contribution of Matete last season - due presumably to indiscipline, he only statrted 2 or our final 13 league games. I do agree that we need a more physical option in defensive midfield.

I'm not convinced at present that Pleggy is a significant upgrade. He doesn't have the reliability of James Wilson, although Wilson would probably have been exposed by quicker Championship strikers. I also think that there is greater potential for medium term improvement with Nigel Lonwijk than with Pleggy.

Dec 30, 2020
I think people are sleeping on how much we miss Mayor.

He created huge amounts of space for other players to exploit. Mumba has not been as effective this year without him. Mickel Miller has looked threatening at left back, but hasn't contributed any goals or assists. Remember how many Mumba got last season and also Conor Grant in the two before that, because Mayor was so good at holding onto the ball, occupying multiple defenders and pulling them out of position?

That ability to get on the ball, shield it and get us up the pitch is glaringly absent in the current squad. Randell and Cundle (who are both good players) and Callum Wright are just not strong enough to do it. If there's one thing that has characterised this season for me, it's the long spells that we spend pinned in our own defensive third trying but failing to play our way out, and having Mayor as an outlet would greatly assist with this.

I don't think he'd be in our first choice starting 11 but if you assume Mumba, Hardie and Whittaker are the front three and Cundle and Azaz the number 8s, he'd give us a lot more as someone to come on on 60-70 minutes or starting games when we play three times in a week than the current back-ups to those players. He'd have really thrived in this formation either cutting in from the left of the front three with a full back bombing outside him, or as one of the '8's.

I really wish he'd given us one more year.

Jan 27, 2012
I agree with the original poster. The Argyle squad is probably weaker this season than it was last season- especially in attack where it matters. Neither Bundu or Waine are as good as Ennis or Cosgrove.

Oct 31, 2022
I agree with the original poster. The Argyle squad is probably weaker this season than it was last season- especially in attack where it matters. Neither Bundu or Waine are as good as Ennis or Cosgrove.
Bundu is loads better than Cosgrove. Not even close.

Ennis is a loss. But his fitness was always an issue, and that has shown at Blackburn too.

Jan 17, 2006
Saltash
No but they are able to give us actual minutes, something Ennis regularly failed to do and has not done for his current club.

I liked Ennis. I do feel he is overrated somewhat on here. He was never consistently fit, not a consistent goalscorer and certainly had a howler in him. He was good at playing with his back to goal, however and that we really need to replace. It is not Hardie’s strength, Waine does not appear strong enough physically and Bundu has no interest in doing it.

As others have said, Bundu has replaced Cosgrove as an impact sub. Whittaker / Cundle have replaced Mayor. I think the player we have failed to replace is Jay Matete who was a different profile to our current midfielders and offered more bite and aggression, which in these tough away games may have been beneficial.

For me the issue is that our January window last year, although exciting at the time, in hindsight looks very much like we recruited for a scenario where we could still be in League One, rather than doing what Ipswich did and having the belief that they would be in the Championship this year. None of last January’s recruits have shown they are good enough to be regulars at this level (although I do have high hopes for Saxon Earley when fit). We need a much stronger window this time around, with less emphasis on player development and more on looking for players who are ready to make a big contribution straight away. I know that isn’t the model, but a good recruitment model should be flexible to the needs of the team and that’s what we need right now.
Disagree with most of that, but I do get where you are coming from. I think we recruited well last January and some of those players (in particular CW) got us over the line.
I think we need experience in this window and we need to get it 100% rather than the 70/80% success we have generally had (IMO).
I think all of the players we recruited last year (even TW) will be championship regulars, they just need time, patience, and games.. I just hope it's with Argyle, and not their next clubs.
I am worried that unless we do get experience it's going to be VERY tough to stay up, even with all of us supporting and believing in the team!

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Ennis, Mayor and Cosgrove. I'm probably just repeating what some have said. Only a Cosgrove type was potentially needed imo, and they went for Coburn and couldn't get him at the eleventh hour.

But offensively, we're in the top six for goals and near the top for chances created. It's not a priority.

Ennis and Mayor don't fit our new system of play imo. We press high, transition breakdowns and counter at pace. Pace is what this team is all about.

Ennis strength was mainly with his back to goal, holding up or spinning a defender to link the attack. he was good at it but we don't play that way now, we play facing goal ball to feet, quick passing through the lines. Ennis being fit on average for a third of a season wouldn't have worked for us either, at this level. (which may be the demise of Galloway and Miller if they can't sustain their fitness too).

Mayor, not Championship level imo. His feet are, but he slows play down and we do the opposite.

So now we have Whittaker (mayor with pace and a goal threat), Bundu (versitile 9 or wide) and Cundle (plays deeper, runs and passes into space at pace).

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Cosgrove is still playing in L1, now with Barnsley where he's scored 1 goal in 10 appearances (a bizzare one at that)

Mayor is still in L1 with Fleetwood with no goals in 14.

Ennis hit a purple patch with us when he was fit enough to play. We're yet to see if he makes the grade in the Championship. (Jason Banton ?)

What's there to replace ? We have players that on the whole are proving they can make an impact at this level, with the possible exception of Ben Waine, but he was already here and an additional development player anyway.

Apart from Bristol and Leicester, we've only lost by small margins even when we've been outclassed. Prior to Leicester we'd got 6 of 9 points available and that should have been more for the width of a white line.

It seems an eternity ago now, but was the same question asked as we put 6 past Norwich?

Reactions: Eddie and Jannerz

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
As for Saxon... I really rate the player. But I do have a reservation about his injuries. He isn't constantly injured because of a reoccurring muscular injury.
It's constant dislocations, breaks, sprains etc. It's all well and good being firm in a challenge and tough enough to throw your body into tackles and blocks, but surely at some point, somebody has to tell him to calm down... He's spending 70% of the season injured because he doesn't seem to have learned the balance of risking his body and being highly physical. I do remember him saying if he wasn't a footballer, he'd being playing rugby. That doesn't surprise me at all. Perhaps I'm being harsh and he's just been unlucky, but after watching him play and getting injured, I don't sit there thinking it's any great surprise.
When Saxon got the injury I looked up his record. That's the first real career injury he's had on record. Remarkably clean history considering his combative style. So I'm not sure where that perspective comes from. He broke into the team and got unlucky. Time will tell over the longer term, but I couldn't find anything to suggest that he's delicate.

When I think about it, when fit he could be a possible midfield enforcer like Matete. I think he's played midfield before too in his career. He loves a tackle and he's got a pass on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: freathyd