Recruitment (in January) | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Recruitment (in January)

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Perhaps this is why SS was so keen to get away, no money to buy Azac, no money to buy a striker, knowing he basically had to get cheap loans in to try to survive in the championship when he was hoping to build on what he had achieved. I’m sure more information will eventually become available the same as it did with Hollowhead.

But then it’s his fault for spending most of it in the summer

Jul 9, 2011
But then it’s his fault for spending most of it in the summer
Yes he spent 2 million in the summer, and if we get relegated and they are sold we will make a profit so no money lost. You could also say if we had bought Azaz for 2.5 million and a striker for 2 million the same principle could be used, but we could have been safe and not having to sell them all just one to cover the price of the others and still be in the championship.

Feb 8, 2005
That's exactly why he left... I thought that was common knowledge by now? He gave an interview a few weeks before he skulked away to Stoke in which he basically admitted he was being held back by the club's budget and inadequate facilities. None of us caught it at the time and we really should because he couldn't have made it any clearer had he put up a sign in big neon letters saying "I WANT OUT" on the side of Smeaton's Tower.

Schumacher in the Herald, Nov 23:
Schuey wanting to run before he can walk!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That's exactly why he left... I thought that was common knowledge by now? He gave an interview a few weeks before he skulked away to Stoke in which he basically admitted he was being held back by the club's budget and inadequate facilities. None of us caught it at the time and we really should because he couldn't have made it any clearer had he put up a sign in big neon letters saying "I WANT OUT" on the side of Smeaton's Tower.

Schumacher in the Herald, Nov 23:

Exactly. For 'I can't get frustrated with where we are at', you can read 'I am frustrated with where we are at'.

Looking from the outside in, it could be there were two competing schools of thought within the club. Investing in the long-term infrastructure of the club vs more short-term investing in the first team, and clearly Argyle Green and Schumacher were in the latter group if that was the case.

The long-term investment is obviously incredibly important, but I can't help feel we had to capitalise on the extraordinary footballing momentum and feel-good factor we had.

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
Yes he spent 2 million in the summer, and if we get relegated and they are sold we will make a profit so no money lost. You could also say if we had bought Azaz for 2.5 million and a striker for 2 million the same principle could be used, but we could have been safe and not having to sell them all just one to cover the price of the others and still be in the championship.
This

Ok SH doesn't know last summer that he will turn a profit on Morgan but by January he knows that's it's a sure fire thing that he can be sold for a very significant profit at the end of the season.

That's why he could have taken a small gamble and paid fees for Azaz and a striker knowing that if it goes wrong and we are still relegated he can recover his money from a sale of Whitaker

I appreciate that SH is risk adverse and understand why but sometimes you have to take a calculated risk.

Reactions: truejanner

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
This

Ok SH doesn't know last summer that he will turn a profit on Morgan but by January he knows that's it's a sure fire thing that he can be sold for a very significant profit at the end of the season.

Not if he gets a career ending injury, things like that can happen.

Jul 12, 2016
I think there will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ( hope I'm not shouting too loud 😉) be targets in budget

Those 'diamonds in the rough' - yannick bolasie, jason puncheon, dwight marshall, craig no one ....these guys are still out there I'm very sure of that ...waiting to be discovered by championship clubs

What we need is much more data and a greater emphasis on data driven approach

I would like us, as a club , to reduce our links ( not completely, but substantially so) with the england youth set up.We need to ask if certain 'contacts' are of value to the club, if we have ambitions as a mid- table championship club.i have my own views on this.

Whatever happened to ' working smarter' ??
No way should there be a greater emphasis on a data driven approach. It has not helped much in the last two transfer windows. Data is useful only as a back up to recruitment but should never be used in isolation.

Reactions: rsp4
Jul 12, 2016
This

That's why he could have taken a small gamble and paid fees for Azaz and a striker knowing that if it goes wrong and we are still relegated he can recover his money from a sale of Whitaker

I appreciate that SH is risk adverse and understand why but sometimes you have to take a calculated risk.
SH is not risk adverse in fact he has stated he will support risk taking.

Feb 8, 2005
This

1. There's no such thing as a sure fire thing.

2. Purchasing any player is risky isn't it?

Purchasing a player when you don't have the money until next year (and that isn't a certainty) is too risky for an investor's risk parameters maybe?

Reactions: Jon with no H
Jul 28, 2020
No way should there be a greater emphasis on a data driven approach. It has not helped much in the last two transfer windows. Data is useful only as a back up to recruitment but should never be used in isolation.
There is no evidence for the points you make

Data driven recruitment is just scouting in a numerical algorithm

Reactions: Jon with no H

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
1. There's no such thing as a sure fire thing.

2. Purchasing any player is risky isn't it?

Purchasing a player when you don't have the money until next year (and that isn't a certainty) is too risky for an investor's risk parameters maybe?
So you didn't think that in January that we would make a profit if we sold MW at the end of the season? That's a sure fire thing amigo even if he's been poo for the last 2 months

Jul 12, 2016
There is no evidence for the points you make

Data driven recruitment is just scouting in a numerical algorithm
No evidence? Where is the striker we have been crying out for since the end of last season? How was Foster selected? Data analysis is only a recruitment tool like psychometric and skill assessments.