Recruitment (in January) | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Recruitment (in January)

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
The calculated risk is what will happen if you get relegated . With the increase in the TV money kicking in this year , the difference between being in L1 and the Championship is in the region of £10M .

If FA had been signed and we were relegated then in the summer all or any of MW , FA or MC could have been sold .
Are you talking about last Summer, or this Jan? In Summer I don't think we expected to be able to get either MW or Mumba, but there was no money left, and we were lucky to get him on a loan.

If you mean January, you assume that we had the negotiation power to match Middlesboro, and Finn's wage demands, and that according to SH there was no money anyway. Who knows what the bidding might have got up to either, it might have been 3.5m that won the deal. You're also assuming that Finn would have chosen us over M'boro. That' not a given either, despite him leaving friends behind.

Jul 29, 2012
Andrew Parkinson was quite firm about the benefits of the loan model we use and he is correct.

The issue we created is that with Azaz and Cundle we became vulnerable to the creative heart being ripped out of the team in very short order. The lesson for me is that no one aspect of the team should be 100% reliant on loan players.
Except in January it didn’t seem to apply . Previous loanees under SS all had experience of at least the division below so were “ tried and tested “ . That didn’t happen in January .

My fear is that for both clubs and players the big attraction for prospective loanees was both SS and style of play . To a degree our previous reputation is now tarnished so the new manager will be starting at a lower level .

Jul 12, 2016
It's anything but a fad, it's huge business, given the resources of the people who own Brighton and Brentford who started out providing the data, to name but two.

All the games are recorded and then the information is collated by the kind of agency that Argyle retains to collect data. The club then works out what metrics it wants to focus on, and analysts sift through the information to find people who do well in whatever field it may be that the club is looking for - Dan Scarr is probably the only player where I have heard anyone say specifically what metric they looked at when they found him.

It doesn't tell you anything about the human being behind the statistics, but then again, just going to scout a match won't always tell you a great deal either. That's where you have to find out about character and the like through less technological means.
Not working very well is it?

Jul 29, 2012
Are you talking about last Summer, or this Jan? In Summer I don't think we expected to be able to get either MW or Mumba, but there was no money left, and we were lucky to get him on a loan.

If you mean January, you assume that we had the negotiation power to match Middlesboro, and Finn's wage demands, and that according to SH there was no money anyway. Who knows what the bidding might have got up to either, it might have been 3.5m that won the deal. You're also assuming that Finn would have chosen us over M'boro. That' not a given either, despite him leaving friends behind.
The summer really . By January even if we could have found the £2.5m it’s unlikely we could have matched the wages .

There was only no money left because the size of the pot as determined by the Board / SH had been used up . Perhaps if the Argyle Green guys had stayed on board the transfer pot would have been bigger.

The accounts for this season will be interesting. There will be a massive increase in turnover both from increased crowds , Goals etc but mainly because of the increased tv/ league money which is in effect “ free money” as you don’t have to do anything to earn it as such . Wages will of course increase . The accounts will probably show a loss because of Brickfields but that cost is effectively set off by the cash introduced by SH .

Other investment presumably funded by the club will be the new Fanzone and I guess whatever was paid to the Taverners for their building.

Jul 28, 2020
The point is the club doesn't have the means to send dozens of scouts all over the world to try to unearth players, and technology being what it is now, they don't have to do that in any event.

It's not the data that's the issue when it's just a list of players and the various metrics against which they're measured.

The decisions made off the back of analysing that data are the issue. That would still be a problem whether the information is in the form of a scouting report or the result of more remote analysis.

At one point earlier in the season, Neil Dewsnip didn't seem to share our collective concern that only having out and out number 9 is a bit risky. I remember him saying at a press conference we only play with one striker so there wasn't necessarily a need to bring any others in.
Its statements like this from neil dewsnip that really worry me for a number of reasons

Most managers I have admired and who's teams I have enjoyed watching could never have enough strikers in the squad

An example of which was ian Holloway...who always wanted one more striker than he already had in the squad...at any point in time

To say that we had enough strikers when we only had hardie, bunda ( who was sidelined for a long spell post rotherham),waine and whittaker ( arguably not a striker- but a winger)...seems bizarre...and perhaps that's why we are where we are at this point...

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2005
The calculated risk is what will happen if you get relegated . With the increase in the TV money kicking in this year , the difference between being in L1 and the Championship is in the region of £10M .

If FA had been signed and we were relegated then in the summer all or any of MW , FA or MC could have been sold .
You cannot backdate these things, Hallett did not fund the purchase of Azaz, for whatever reason, so the matter is theoretical only.

However, currently If we get relegated then the improvement in tv money will be of no importance because we will be challenging for players against the other teams in Div 1 who will also not be affected. Those players that are shown interest by Championship clubs will be out of our league, anyway, with or without extra tv money.

If we remain in the Championship then the extra tv money will be a boon, because although it will not be any advantage over all the other clubs in the Championship who will also get that improved tv money, it will allow us to improve our offers and terms of contract with players from the lower divisions.

Sep 6, 2006
You cannot backdate these things, Hallett did not fund the purchase of Azaz, for whatever reason, so the matter is theoretical only.

However, currently If we get relegated then the improvement in tv money will be of no importance because we will be challenging for players against the other teams in Div 1 who will also not be affected. Those players that are shown interest by Championship clubs will be out of our league, anyway, with or without extra tv money.

If we remain in the Championship then the extra tv money will be a boon, because although it will not be any advantage over all the other clubs in the Championship who will also get that improved tv money, it will allow us to improve our offers and terms of contract with players from the lower divisions.
Most get that. The point is it increases the gap between Championship and League 1.

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
The summer really . By January even if we could have found the £2.5m it’s unlikely we could have matched the wages .

There was only no money left because the size of the pot as determined by the Board / SH had been used up . Perhaps if the Argyle Green guys had stayed on board the transfer pot would have been bigger.

The accounts for this season will be interesting. There will be a massive increase in turnover both from increased crowds , Goals etc but mainly because of the increased tv/ league money which is in effect “ free money” as you don’t have to do anything to earn it as such . Wages will of course increase . The accounts will probably show a loss because of Brickfields but that cost is effectively set off by the cash introduced by SH .

Other investment presumably funded by the club will be the new Fanzone and I guess whatever was paid to the Taverners for their building.
Don't forget the payout to Foster, whatever that was..

Nov 10, 2010
I hope all of you talking us in to relegation have enough about you to come back here and say you got it wrong when we stay up. Unbelievable levels of just wanting to get it right and have the hottest take. No ifs or buts either. I’d be happy to do the same btw but I’m not gonna be wrong so 🤷🏻😉

Jul 12, 2016
What's the alternative, seriously. You seem obligated to find fault with everything.
I am only finding fault because it is not working. Too much reliance on data. How much longer do we have to wait before computer says yes to a forward?

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
I am only finding fault because it is not working. Too much reliance on data. How much longer do we have to wait before computer says yes to a forward?
But that's not the data's shortcoming, that's the fault of the people who get the data and make decisions. It will be the same decision they make regardless of the source of information. You can get all the scouting reports in the world, but if the person making the final choice about who is signed doesn't want to bring in a striker, then that's not going to change.

You're essentially blaming facts for there being no signing if you think the problem is the information.

Reactions: chottomat