Promotion v Relegation | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Promotion v Relegation

Nov 4, 2012
Lundan Cabbie":iih7izfc said:
Imagine being a Coventry fan. Some of them will be lucky to remember winning the cup but they haven't had a promotion season of any sort for 50 years. Even a top 6 finish has been a rarity.

Probably why they're so pathetically excited for that farce of a trophy final. Invading the pitch in the semi's and selling 30k tickets for Wembley :facepalm: I wouldn't go if Argyle had the misfortune of being there.

Jan 11, 2016
This will be promotion number 7 for me and, sad to say, the most unengaging. The most compulsive for me was 2003-4, convincing performances, decent competition, home grown heroes and a great climax in a full stadium against the main rivals. The worst relegation was 1967-68 - the writing was on the wall for ages and so relatively soon after the promising years of the early 1960s.
By the way the earlier reference to Coventry makes me feel I've missed the point all these years. I hadn't realisedthe idea was to go up and down regularly to give the fans some excitement. Coventry were promoted to the top division in 1967 and, just to spite their fans, decided to stay there for 34 consecutive years and also win the FA Cup. So boring. Only Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton could match them at the time for consecutive presence in the top flight. I think I could live with that if it came Argyle's way. Of course Coventry have slid of late but I expect their fans are over the moon since it means they can be promoted again. By the way try Andy Riddle's Snakes and Ladders for thr Argyle ups and downs - found my copy in a charity shop and when I got it home I found it had been signed by Bill Short, Peter Anderson and Alex Govan!

Mar 18, 2014
Coventry were in the top flight for 34 years, so couldn't get promoted! They might not have a club at all soon, the way things are going for them. Maybe that's why their support are so ecstatic to be in the Mickey Mouse cup final??

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Fergy":u0znj6b7 said:
On a side note, I wonder who has gained the most promotions and suffered the most relegations over the past 50 years or so - Bury, Shrewsbury and Posh bring to mind.
Most Football League Promotions

13 Birmingham City, Leicester City, Notts County
12 Cardiff City, Grimsby Town, Manchester City

Most Football League/Prem Relegations

16 Grimsby Town
15 Notts County
14 Birmingham City, Bolton Wanderers
13 Doncaster Rovers

Bury have had 10 ups and 11 downs, Shrewsbury 6 & 7, Peterborough 8 & 7.

These are all time figures rather than just the last 50 years though

Sep 8, 2011
Preston, Lancs
Started going in 77/78, so minus 1 for me (4 ups, 5 downs).

My brother-in-law is a Cov fan - too young to go to the Cup Final in '87, so barring miracles, he'll soon be minus 3. As has already been mentioned, he's obviously never seen them promoted or win anything, so I don't begrudge him his day watching the Mickey Mouse Cup Final. Coming from Cov, he needs something to cheer himself up.

If they go to the wall and have to reform as a "phoenix club", he could soon be on minus 8! Probably be happier, though!

L

leelowndes27

This year will make it 4-3 in favour of promotions for me. First game was a 4-3 win over torquay in the 95/96 season. So that season, the two championships and this year. Relegations being 98 and the two admin induced disasters.

Dec 2, 2005
London
Given I doubt anyone who spends their spare time on an Argyle forum had a period of not supporting Argyle after their first game this is basically just "what tier were we in when you went to your first game", isn't it?!

Oct 6, 2005
Winchester
Lundan Cabbie":2no7udx7 said:
Fergy":2no7udx7 said:
On a side note, I wonder who has gained the most promotions and suffered the most relegations over the past 50 years or so - Bury, Shrewsbury and Posh bring to mind.
Most Football League Promotions

13 Birmingham City, Leicester City, Notts County
12 Cardiff City, Grimsby Town, Manchester City

Most Football League/Prem Relegations

16 Grimsby Town
15 Notts County
14 Birmingham City, Bolton Wanderers
13 Doncaster Rovers

Bury have had 10 ups and 11 downs, Shrewsbury 6 & 7, Peterborough 8 & 7.

These are all time figures rather than just the last 50 years though

Surprised not to see West Brom in there.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
From memory, Sheffield Wednesday were the 'up and down' team when I started taking an interest in the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
davie nine":2pw69is0 said:
From memory, Sheffield Wednesday were the 'up and down' team when I started taking an interest in the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

Wednesday are now on 11 ups and 12 downs