Pre-Season games (Merged 4 times now). | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pre-Season games (Merged 4 times now).

Jul 13, 2006
Since I Was 33":21azq38k said:
The more I think about it the more I wonder why Argyle don't have a training camp in Scotland. Easy flight from Exeter to Edinburgh or Glasgow. Hire some facilities locally and play against a couple of Championship sides there rather than the Dutch option. I can't believe it wouldn't be cheaper, the travelling would be less and you know the standards of the teams you will be playing. Scottish teams also tend to start their pre-seasons earlier than down south so will be more up to speed. I imagine more Greens would travel to Scotland rather than Holland as well and make a wee holiday of it. Perhaps there may be positives to the Dutch camp (butterfly festivals excluded) but seems a no-brainer to me that Argyle should go North of the border

And you might find a wee nugget.

Danknight98

✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2016
There are many, many theories why we’ve started so poorly this season (and the last).

But are we paying the price for playing so many non-professional sides during the summer?

Example: We played Parkway; Torpoint, Helston, Tavistock, Bideford and a part-time German club overseas. Callington too at the end of pre-season

So 7/10 teams we played were part-time clubs. With Torquay, Yeovil and MVV the professional sides we played.

So my point is: Could Adams have really gauged his starting XI from these games?
It certainly doesn’t seem so, with rife back 4 changes and constant formation changes too.

My personal opinion is that playing part-time clubs can cloud a judgement on how good a player is.

Scott Wootton for example had a fairly average pre-season but was in the starting XI come the start of the season (and subsequently dropped.)
Whereas Peter Grant I felt had a very positive and productive pre-season, looking very comfortable on the ball too, and he hasn’t had a look in the team.

So my question to you is; have the 7/10 pre-season games against non-professional teams clouded the managers judgement on who to pick and what formation to choose?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I’m not sure if the club are bring stringent on the budget or DA’s himself.

Jan 27, 2012
I would agree with the original poster.

Playing so many amateur and non-league sides (even on the overseas tour) could not have properly tested the players in terms of fitness or match sharpness. Its difficult to see how this is optimal preparation.

Apr 12, 2016
Absolutely and I've posted about this on other threads. When we played Yeovil they had already played strong sides previously and on the day we weren't even on the same page as them. You play pre-season games to obtain fitness but just as importantly match sharpness in particular movement, awareness and reaction and you will learn more from playing teams up the pyramid than teams quite a way down it. For example you wouldn't see a Premiership team playing solely non-league sides in pre-season would you ?

Sep 25, 2010
Danknight98":zdqrqhku said:
There are many, many theories why we’ve started so poorly this season (and the last).

But are we paying the price for playing so many non-professional sides during the summer?

Example: We played Parkway; Torpoint, Helston, Tavistock, Bideford and a part-time German club overseas. Callington too at the end of pre-season

So 7/10 teams we played were part-time clubs. With Torquay, Yeovil and MVV the professional sides we played.

So my point is: Could Adams have really gauged his starting XI from these games?
It certainly doesn’t seem so, with rife back 4 changes and constant formation changes too.

My personal opinion is that playing part-time clubs can cloud a judgement on how good a player is.

Scott Wootton for example had a fairly average pre-season but was in the starting XI come the start of the season (and subsequently dropped.)
Whereas Peter Grant I felt had a very positive and productive pre-season, looking very comfortable on the ball too, and he hasn’t had a look in the team.

So my question to you is; have the 7/10 pre-season games against non-professional teams clouded the managers judgement on who to pick and what formation to choose?

Sorry, but all the above is absolutely bollocks

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Martyn":2fs4t718 said:
Danknight98":2fs4t718 said:

If your going to shoot someone’s opinion down so abruptly then at least explain why.

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
Danknight98":2rux1tav said:

This has been mentioned on numerous occasions so far this season , and the concensus is that yes we do need to find better opposition pre season !

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
khennes_904":rmkz2pg3 said:
Danknight98":rmkz2pg3 said:

This has been mentioned on numerous occasions so far this season , and the concensus is that yes we do need to find better opposition pre season !
We also played Feyenoord, which all these people seem to be ignoring.

Apr 12, 2016
Argy1e":uko4p8uk said:
khennes_904":uko4p8uk said:
Danknight98":uko4p8uk said:

With regard to Feyenoord it was if I recall rightly set up last minute as a result of one our Dutch games being cancelled due to a butterfly festival. It was also not the full Feyenoord team (had a couple of decent players in it) and was their first game of the season. Feyenoord wanted to give some of their players a run-out so they would not have been up to speed as yet.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Since I Was 33":3tkl00o2 said:
Argy1e":3tkl00o2 said:
khennes_904":3tkl00o2 said:
Danknight98":3tkl00o2 said:

With regard to Feyenoord it was if I recall rightly set up last minute as a result of one our Dutch games being cancelled due to a butterfly festival. It was also not the full Feyenoord team (had a couple of decent players in it) and was their first game of the season. Feyenoord wanted to give some of their players a run-out so they would not have been up to speed as yet.
That was last season. We also played them this season.

Sep 25, 2010
Tugboat":x3e1wozh said:
Martyn":x3e1wozh said:
Danknight98":x3e1wozh said:

If your going to shoot someone’s opinion down so abruptly then at least explain why.

Cant be asked, because they are so far from reality it really is bollocks.

But, one example is if you look at the pre-season, games of most clubs say in Div 1, they ALL do this, by playing lower league clubs first, then building up to better opposition,

Apr 12, 2016
Martyn":2rbkg1gd said:
Tugboat":2rbkg1gd said:
Martyn":2rbkg1gd said:
Danknight98":2rbkg1gd said:

Cant be asked, because they are so far from reality it really is bollocks.

But, one example is if you look at the pre-season, games of most clubs say in Div 1, they ALL do this, by playing lower league clubs first, then building up to better opposition,
You are right in the respect clubs play lower opposition but they are not playing teams as LOW in the pyramid as we are or as many games solely against this type of opposition. When we did play more quality opposition (Yeovil) we were pumped 5-1 and that score line flattered us. We weren't on the same page as them