Pre-Season games (Merged 4 times now). | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pre-Season games (Merged 4 times now).

Oct 16, 2016
I went to Parkway and Tavi, they both gave argyle a game. Parkway were often beater with the ball this pre-season during that match.

If you play better or par teams and get battered does that help? Preseason is predominately looking at the new players and fitness. Has very little to do with ‘football’

Sep 18, 2004
West in East Anglia
Preseason score lines flattered to deceive, until we came across Torquay, Yeovil and the tour oppositions.

The first team hardly came together as a team before the season started, and we are now paying for it.

R

rdr123

The worrying signs were already there when we got thrashed by Yeovil.

Jul 12, 2016
What are we proving by beating non league opposition? The teams we have played so far seemed to be quicker than us yet I doubt their preseason was as weak as ours. A lot of teams also signed a number of players e.g. Peterborough ,yet they have gelled. I sometimes think DA over analyses the game to such an extent that the players are confused.

Apr 12, 2016
The point is that in these pre-season games we are not playing against teams with a similar skill level. We may be getting physically fit but otherwise we are not being challenged or finding out our weak spots. I was at the Yeovil game and they had played in the previous ten days strong Bristol Rovers and Swansea sides. They were way better in every department looking sharper on the ball and exploiting the obvious weaknesses in our set-up all over the pitch. By the time we start the season the other sides are already a level up and it takes us a number of league games to catch up with them.

Aug 12, 2018
Just thought I would echo the thoughts of a chat after yesterday's game. Yes, the Posh were a different level but we don't look at the races at all. Playing Parkway, Torquay, Bodmin, Tiverton and the like should ALL be Friday evening games utilising the squad/youth and the 1st team playing EFL teams on the Saturday. I hope this seasons mistakes do not get repeated, we have to learn from our mistakes or risk history repeating itself.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Surely part of the current problem is that we did not have tough enough pre season games. The only anywhere near tough game against Yeovil and we let in five. Surely our defensive problems would have shown up before now if we had?

May 8, 2011
TruroTerry":q42vzrpd said:
Just thought I would echo the thoughts of a chat after yesterday's game. Yes, the Posh were a different level but we don't look at the races at all. Playing Parkway, Torquay, Bodmin, Tiverton and the like should ALL be Friday evening games utilising the squad/youth and the 1st team playing EFL teams on the Saturday. I hope this seasons mistakes do not get repeated, we have to learn from our mistakes or risk history repeating itself.

As Argyle played apart from Exeter, the two highest ranked teams within 100 miles of Home Park, who do you propose Argyle play and how far do you want them to travel to play higher opposition in the UK, would the cost of overnight accommodation be justified and what higher league team would want a home game against a league 1 side?

Apr 12, 2016
HC Green":6gd7j8rn said:
TruroTerry":6gd7j8rn said:

As Argyle played apart from Exeter, the two highest ranked teams within 100 miles of Home Park, who do you propose Argyle play and how far do you want them to travel to play higher opposition in the UK, would the cost of overnight accommodation be justified and what higher league team would want a home game against a league 1 side?

Well I would ditch the Dutch training camp and play a few games in Scotland against teams there. Realistically you could base yourself in the Central belt and have your pick of a number of teams there all of which would be in easy travelling time.

Jul 13, 2006
Since I Was 33":1wcmw1vc said:
HC Green":1wcmw1vc said:
TruroTerry":1wcmw1vc said:

Well I would ditch the Dutch training camp and play a few games in Scotland against teams there. Realistically you could base yourself in the Central belt and have your pick of a number of teams there all of which would be in easy travelling time.
HC Green":1wcmw1vc said:
TruroTerry":1wcmw1vc said:

And we could have played Cardiff reserves somewhere. I think it was MGM who said we'd had a good pre-season up till Yeovil. But we can't be judging ourselves on teams we would expect to beat comfortably. It is about confidence too, but not a false confidence.

Sep 6, 2006
Since I Was 33":3qgpjaw1 said:
HC Green":3qgpjaw1 said:
TruroTerry":3qgpjaw1 said:

We were also training in 35c heat in Holland which can't have been helpful.

Aug 12, 2018
HC Green":3dp3ui9x said:
TruroTerry":3dp3ui9x said:

There is a ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff. 50 miles from there is s team called Guingcamp - they played PSG in a league game last week. 100 miles further is Rennes. There is a direct flight from Exeter to Rennes - they are also in the French top flight. As are Caen a further 100 miles from Rennes. France won the World Cup. Has anyone phoned these clubs ?

May 8, 2011
TruroTerry":27fqmoy3 said:
HC Green":27fqmoy3 said:
TruroTerry":27fqmoy3 said:

There is a ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff. 50 miles from there is s team called Guingcamp - they played PSG in a league game last week. 100 miles further is Rennes. There is a direct flight from Exeter to Rennes - they are also in the French top flight. As are Caen a further 100 miles from Rennes. France won the World Cup. Has anyone phoned these clubs ?

Why would they want to play a League 1 side at home? Rennes played Everton in pre season.
What would be the cost of getting the team there?

May 16, 2016
TruroTerry":3dqonfy1 said:
HC Green":3dqonfy1 said:
TruroTerry":3dqonfy1 said:

Yes they phoned, but they were out. Away on pre season trips apparently.

Apr 12, 2016
The more I think about it the more I wonder why Argyle don't have a training camp in Scotland. Easy flight from Exeter to Edinburgh or Glasgow. Hire some facilities locally and play against a couple of Championship sides there rather than the Dutch option. I can't believe it wouldn't be cheaper, the travelling would be less and you know the standards of the teams you will be playing. Scottish teams also tend to start their pre-seasons earlier than down south so will be more up to speed. I imagine more Greens would travel to Scotland rather than Holland as well and make a wee holiday of it. Perhaps there may be positives to the Dutch camp (butterfly festivals excluded) but seems a no-brainer to me that Argyle should go North of the border