Port Vale v Argyle matchday thread | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Port Vale v Argyle matchday thread

Aug 11, 2013
The advert was for a world cruise but we’ve ended up on the Brittany Ferry.

So many things to criticise - which were so evident pre-season - and haven’t been addressed but maybe for another time when the dust of today’s debacle has settled !

Jun 27, 2019
Devongreenowl":ir1yg1ik said:
WoodsyGreen":ir1yg1ik said:
We badly need consistency in the striker roles. It really can't help when we're rotating our forwards every week - have we played the same front two in consecutive games yet? Injuries haven't helped obviously, but we really need a run with the same pair up top.

Moore and Taylor started last week didn’t they? So yes we have. Doesn’t sound like we are creating many chances away from home at least

So two consecutive games then. Hardly conducive to building partnerships and chemistry is it?

We've tried Grant & Moore, Moore & Taylor, Taylor & Telford, Taylor & Rudden, Moore & Telford and possibly other combinations I'm forgetting.

The centre-backs are poor - some of them National League standard - but we can't overlook the lack of consistency up front when it comes to recent results.

I'm sure Lowe has a favoured back three and front two in mind, and when he can actually select them I believe we'll be right back amongst it.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Deacster":zuitbdu4 said:
Justin":zuitbdu4 said:
Cobi Budge":zuitbdu4 said:
HC Green":zuitbdu4 said:
Cobi Budge":zuitbdu4 said:
Sheridan left Adams with a good team to work with, particularly defensively.

Lowe hasn’t been left with the same luxury and therefore time & patience is certainly needed.

Today’s defence had one player that played regularly and one player who hardly played at all last year and that’s all.

How was today result due to Adam’s players and the shambles of last season.

That doesn’t change my point at all. Adams inherited a good set of players from Sheridan who had played together before & gelled. Adams did well for us in League 2 no doubt, but he didn’t have to completely rebuild as Lowe is going to have to.

Laughable.

Adams had outstanding players. So good we couldn’t hang onto them. So he had to rebuild every season given out inferior budget. Sheridan left behind journeymen that few wanted.

Lowe has had a lot of money to spend already.
Utter nonsense, completely inaccurate. Sheridan left McCormick, Nelse, Hartley, Mellor, McHugh, Reid and Brunt. Adams left Lowe with Riley, Wootton, Sarcevic, Taylor and Canavan. If you can't see the difference in quality then perhaps foty isn't your game.

Nelson aside (home grown, not signed by sour puss Sheridan) - that lot were L2 at best.

Lameiras, Carey and Lapado were all still at Argyle when Adams left. I’d have them over any of Sheridan’s lot any day.

Mar 23, 2008
Justin":35oe7zj6 said:
Deacster":35oe7zj6 said:
Justin":35oe7zj6 said:
Cobi Budge":35oe7zj6 said:
HC Green":35oe7zj6 said:
Cobi Budge":35oe7zj6 said:
Sheridan left Adams with a good team to work with, particularly defensively.

Lowe hasn’t been left with the same luxury and therefore time & patience is certainly needed.

Today’s defence had one player that played regularly and one player who hardly played at all last year and that’s all.

How was today result due to Adam’s players and the shambles of last season.

That doesn’t change my point at all. Adams inherited a good set of players from Sheridan who had played together before & gelled. Adams did well for us in League 2 no doubt, but he didn’t have to completely rebuild as Lowe is going to have to.

Laughable.

Adams had outstanding players. So good we couldn’t hang onto them. So he had to rebuild every season given out inferior budget. Sheridan left behind journeymen that few wanted.

Lowe has had a lot of money to spend already.
Utter nonsense, completely inaccurate. Sheridan left McCormick, Nelse, Hartley, Mellor, McHugh, Reid and Brunt. Adams left Lowe with Riley, Wootton, Sarcevic, Taylor and Canavan. If you can't see the difference in quality then perhaps foty isn't your game.

Nelson aside (home grown, not signed by sour puss Sheridan) - that lot were L2 at best.

Lameiras, Carey and Lapado were all still at Argyle when Adams left. I’d have them over any of Sheridan’s lot any day.
You're totally missing the point. Sheridan left Adams with the nucleus of a strong league 2 team whereas Adams has left Lowe with relegation dross after the better players left.

You said Sheridan left Adams with journeymen yet Mellor, McHugh, Reid, Hartley, Nelse and probably Luke would walk into this team - ironically the type of players we really need. Lowe is rebuilding and it will take time and he needs our support, pointing out that our previous failed manager got the odd signing here or there right has no relevance.

Feb 10, 2019
At the end of the day, does it matter who inherited who from who? Ryan Lowe has got a squad together, made up of players that were here when he arrived and those who he has chosen to bring in. He is now trying to mould those players into a squad that plays the way he wants to play and that will not happen overnight. We all have our own ideas about who is best to play up front, about who can form a strong defence and about where our creativity is going to come from. I for one am liking the style of football RL is trying to play and although the results are not going our way at the moment, we need to cut the guy some slack and let him get on with it. In the Herald on Friday he said something like ‘we are an average side at the moment with the potential to be an excellent side’. Let’s give the guy some time to realise that potential before we get too negative.

Matts 19

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 19, 2019
Last season after 8 games Bury had 13 points. Argyle are on 11, only 3 points off a play off spot and are the joint 4th top scorers in the league. Some of the negative posts on here are crazy

When Bury fans say the football played last season was the best they have ever seen they honestly mean it. We didn't click until mid to late October but when we did it was fantastic fast attacking football, a absolute joy to watch. The chances are it might not happen for Argyle but to be slating a new manager after 8 games is madness

Lowey has one full season as a manager behind him and one promotion and that was with a squad who didn't get payed from January onwards. What he achieved last season has been understated if anything. If you are still struggling come February/March then the doubters have valid points but after only 8 games it is ridiculous

In Danny Mayor you have one of the best attacking/creative players in the lower leagues and a bright young manager who is desperate to take the club forward playing a attacking and entertaining style of football.

Keep the faith

May 1, 2011
Matts 19":2teffomt said:
Last season after 8 games Bury had 13 points. Argyle are on 11, only 3 points off a play off spot and are the joint 4th top scorers in the league. Some of the negative posts on here are crazy

When Bury fans say the football played last season was the best they have ever seen they honestly mean it. We didn't click until mid to late October but when we did it was fantastic fast attacking football, a absolute joy to watch. The chances are it might not happen for Argyle but to be slating a new manager after 8 games is madness

Lowey has one full season as a manager behind him and one promotion and that was with a squad who didn't get payed from January onwards. What he achieved last season has been understated if anything. If you are still struggling come February/March then the doubters have valid points but after only 8 games it is ridiculous

In Danny Mayor you have one of the best attacking/creative players in the lower leagues and a bright young manager who is desperate to take the club forward playing a attacking and entertaining style of football.

Keep the faith

Common sense dangerously enters the debate.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Matts 19":2n633fkw said:

Keep the faith
Don’t disagree with the broad thrust of what you say.

However, we are never going to play “fantastic fast attacking football” with a back 3 containing Wooton and Canavan who are so unsuited to the style Lowe wants to play. Not only are Wooton and Canavan not very good defenders, but they are not very comfortable on the ball either. Also, Grant needs to play on the right where he is more comfortable.

Canavan in particular is an absolute journeyman basement Division 4 Centre Half only capable of heading and kicking the way he is facing but with Aimson injured, he has been given the crucial central position in the back 3 where he sees a lot of the ball as Argyle try and play out from the back. All too often he has 20-odd yards of space in front of him to carry the ball forwards before releasing it, but all he wants to do is roll a telegraphed sideways or backwards pass as soon as possible, usually across the front of our box.

I don’t see Lowe changing his footballing philosophy and neither should he. But until he has players who can play in the style he wants and are comfortable with it, I’m afraid there will be a lot more away days like today; we’re also going to struggle to break teams down at home if we don’t inject more pace in to our passing and movement.

We are becoming used to losing away whilst failing to even look like scoring against teams who play a more traditional Division 2 style of football which is direct, physical and puts balls into our box which we cannot deal with it.

Matts 19

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 19, 2019
demportdave":28av863v said:
Matts 19":28av863v said:

Keep the faith
Don’t disagree with the broad thrust of what you say.

However, we are never going to play “fantastic fast attacking football” with a back 3 containing Wooton and Canavan who are so unsuited to the style Lowe wants to play. Not only are Wooton and Canavan not very good defenders, but they are not very comfortable on the ball either. Also, Grant needs to play on the right where he is more comfortable.

Canavan in particular is an absolute journeyman basement Division 4 Centre Half only capable of heading and kicking the way he is facing but with Aimson injured, he has been given the crucial central position in the back 3 where he sees a lot of the ball as Argyle try and play out from the back. All too often he has 20-odd yards of space in front of him to carry the ball forwards before releasing it, but all he wants to do is roll a telegraphed sideways or backwards pass as soon as possible, usually across the front of our box.

I don’t see Lowe changing his footballing philosophy and neither should he. But until he has players who can play in the style he wants and are comfortable with it, I’m afraid there will be a lot more away days like today; we’re also going to struggle to break teams down at home if we don’t inject more pace in to our passing and movement.

We are becoming used to losing away whilst failing to even look like scoring against teams who play a more traditional Division 2 style of football which is direct, physical and puts balls into our box which we cannot deal with it.

If my memory serves me correct Bury had only won 1 away game until November last season. Even at our very best we still looked average/poor at the back but we went on a run of destroying teams at home. Seeing as Argyle are still unbeaten at home it looks like a similar situation is playing out.

I was at the Argyle Oldham game last week and it was just like watching Bury early last season. Slow and ponderous at the back, looked like we will concede everytime the opposition attacked us, no real threat going forward then around mid to late October it was like somebody switched the light on and we woke up. That might not be the case at Argyle but surely the gaffer must be given the time to implement his style and philosophy. It took Klopp the best part of 2 seasons to implement his at Liverpool for example. Look at them now

As frustrating as it is any new manager needs time to stamp his authority. Only one transfer window and 8 games is miles away from being enough

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Another day, another Derek Adams comparison, honestly who the hell cares?

Ryan Lowe is our manager now, he is the man Hallett has put his faith in. Whether he's good enough or not time will tell ; one thing is certain though, he will not be replaced by Del Boy. A fact that his fan club will have to get used to I'm afraid as he is not coming back.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Pogleswoody":v4e2241j said:
Argylegames":v4e2241j said:
I have one question.

Where is AIMSON? I'm beginning to think he is apocryphal!

I heard that he was Church of England but I can't see the relevance? :oops:
I usually get your humour instantly but you have defeated me on this occasion. I would have thought they word apocryphal as I understand it - of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true - fits the bill exactly.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
memory man":nfjl0usp said:
Pogleswoody":nfjl0usp said:
Argylegames":nfjl0usp said:
I have one question.

I usually get your humour instantly but you have defeated me on this occasion. I would have thought they word apocryphal as I understand it - of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true - fits the bill exactly.

I'm from St Budo, MM, we says 'imaginary' there! ;)

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Pogleswoody":2a08xvda said:
memory man":2a08xvda said:
Pogleswoody":2a08xvda said:
Argylegames":2a08xvda said:
I have one question.

So am I - well, Saltash Passage to be pedantic; where "we says" was always replaced with "us says!!".

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
memory man":1kq6jj97 said:
Pogleswoody":1kq6jj97 said:
memory man":1kq6jj97 said:
Pogleswoody":1kq6jj97 said:
Argylegames":1kq6jj97 said:
I have one question.

So am I - well, Saltash Passage to be pedantic; where "we says" was always replaced with "us says!!".

Ahh difference in dialect!! Must be proximity to the Cornish Border Checkpoint! ;)