Port Vale promoted | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Port Vale promoted

Oct 14, 2015
Pleased for their manager as well who has had some really serious family issues earlier this season. Not sure what it was but clearly from the reaction from both sets of supporters, he’s originally a Mansfield lad, the bereavement he experienced was someone very close.

Thought he was touted as a possible before Ryan Lowe was appointed??

Sep 2, 2008
I can only imagine that it must be absolutely devastating to lose a child but imagine its even more painful when you lose your child under the circumstances that he experienced.

Port Vale have really looked after him and its no surprise for me to see him commit himself to the Club for another 5 years.

Carol Shanahan really is well loved by the Burslem faithful and its not hard to see why.

Reactions: DarkGreen

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
I had no idea of his loss. As a Father of a Teenager, and a 10 year old, It would destroy me if such a thing happened. Any football dislike for a team goes out the window. What an amazing man to come back from that, and lead Vale to promotion.
I too was unaware of this story until yesterday. His interview after the match was heart warming and I'll now be following the fortunes of Vale more closely and wish them all the best (unless they are playing us of course).

Wexford Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
✅ Evergreen
Jan 20, 2005
Ballygarrett, County Wexford, Ireland
Not happy hunting ground for us though in the League.

Saw us lose there under Shilton, Sheridan (although technically not appointed) and Lowe. In Waiters day, we lost and had 3 sent off.

Missed the infamous 5-1 as was visiting a terminally ill friend.

Anyone else seen us get League points there?
Port Vale away was the first time I saw Argyle win an away match. It was a mid-week game in October 1983, which we won 1-0. I think Gordon Staniforth may have got the goal?

I didn’t enjoy the game though because I was stressing about a return rail ticket to London I thought I’d lost. I found it in a hidden pocket of my wallet in about the 89th minute 😂

Reactions: twist of lime
Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Port Vale away was the first time I saw Argyle win an away match. It was a mid-week game in October 1983, which we won 1-0. I think Gordon Staniforth may have got the goal?

I didn’t enjoy the game though because I was stressing about a return rail ticket to London I thought I’d lost. I found it in a hidden pocket of my wallet in about the 89th minute 😂
Phillips was the scorer of Argyle's single goal. I can recall Argyle playing them in the old Division 2, when their old Manager was the former Torquay striker Rudge, and the former Stoke City full back Mike Pejic was their coach. With a friend of mine, who originates from Stoke, I met them briefly after the match. I seem to recall Pejic had a short period as a coach at Argyle in charge of apprentices.

Reactions: Wexford Green

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I have no doubt that wizened oldies (like myself) may well remember the strength of feeling about Port Vale in the 1970s. I can only liken it to the animosity towards Burnley in the 90s and Wycombe now. There were some feisty 'kicking lumps out of each other' encounters just prior - and during - the Waiters years. None were more infamous than the 'Black Sunday' match in 1974 when THREE Argyle players (Steve Davey, Bobby Saxton and Dave Provan) were sent off at Vale Park (Argyle lost, unsurprisingly, 2-1).

There was little doubt that in a Wycombe-esque manner a significant amount of 'niggle' and bad blood existed between the clubs and for a long time I eagerly followed the results of Port Vale - feeling childishly elated if they had come unstuck. Whilst grudges seem to be particularly prevalent amongst football fans I am pleased to say that the long term therapy has worked and I am now over Port Vale. May the best team win next season (us!) :ROFLMAO:

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
I have no doubt that wizened oldies (like myself) may well remember the strength of feeling about Port Vale in the 1970s. I can only liken it to the animosity towards Burnley in the 90s and Wycombe now. There were some feisty 'kicking lumps out of each other' encounters just prior - and during - the Waiters years. None were more infamous than the 'Black Sunday' match in 1974 when THREE Argyle players (Steve Davey, Bobby Saxton and Dave Provan) were sent off at Vale Park (Argyle lost, unsurprisingly, 2-1).

There was little doubt that in a Wycombe-esque manner a significant amount of 'niggle' and bad blood existed between the clubs and for a long time I eagerly followed the results of Port Vale - feeling childishly elated if they had come unstuck. Whilst grudges seem to be particularly prevalent amongst football fans I am pleased to say that the long term therapy has worked and I am now over Port Vale. May the best team win next season (us!) :ROFLMAO:

That Black Sunday game very well described by Harley Lawer, here: https://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/gosdb-match.asp?date=1974-3-10