Port Vale promoted | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Port Vale promoted

Aug 8, 2013
Another Port Vale game that sticks in the memory was an end of season game in the early 70's with
Argyle in the running for a place in the old Watney Cup (for younger readers, this required being one of the top two scorers among non-promoted teams). Port Vale had nothing to play for, but for some reason decided to play
an 11-man defence from the outset, with the result being a wretched goalless draw in a match that Les Latcham
described as the worst he'd ever played in.

May 26, 2015
Lovely big pitch at Vale Park of 114 yards length and 77 yards width. This is almost the same that Argyle used to have at Home Park, which was 114 yards length and 78 yards width. But then Derek Adams had the not so bright idea to shrink the Home Park pitch to 112 yards in length and just 73 yards in width, thereby taking the fans much further from the players and ruining the look and feel of an otherwise glorious pitch/playing surface area.

Now that the pitch is being relayed in the close season, I will write to Schuey and/or the Chairman to ask for the reinstatement of our correct pitch size.

Anyone else agree with me?

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
The length of the pitch is governed by the position of the goalpost sockets put in when the pitch was completely ripped out. The width is governed by the areas of concrete on which the artificial turf sits that the linespersons use. (Plus the drainage channels added at that time). We can't lengthen the pitch without digging it out completely, and can only narrow it on a whim. The idea that it was shortened and narrowed on the whim of a previous manager is ludicrous.

May 26, 2015
The length of the pitch is governed by the position of the goalpost sockets put in when the pitch was completely ripped out. The width is governed by the areas of concrete on which the artificial turf sits that the linespersons use. (Plus the drainage channels added at that time). We can't lengthen the pitch without digging it out completely, and can only narrow it on a whim. The idea that it was shortened and narrowed on the whim of a previous manager is ludicrous.

Thanks for the info in your first two sentences, but, with respect, you are wrong on your last point. The change to the pitch dimension was entirely down to the whim of Adams, as was well documented by PASOTI and the local press at the time. I suggest you look up the facts.

Reactions: Mark Pedlar

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Lovely big pitch at Vale Park of 114 yards length and 77 yards width. This is almost the same that Argyle used to have at Home Park, which was 114 yards length and 78 yards width. But then Derek Adams had the not so bright idea to shrink the Home Park pitch to 112 yards in length and just 73 yards in width, thereby taking the fans much further from the players and ruining the look and feel of an otherwise glorious pitch/playing surface area.

Now that the pitch is being relayed in the close season, I will write to Schuey and/or the Chairman to ask for the reinstatement of our correct pitch size.

Anyone else agree with me?
Maybe altering the pitch dimensions had international competition in mind. Although 114 x 78 yards is within the laid down specs, there is also the requirement for 9m end margins and 6m side margins between the spectator areas and the goal lines / touchlines. This is why many clubs when hosting international competitions they have to mask off some of the front rows of seats.

May 26, 2015
Maybe altering the pitch dimensions had international competition in mind. Although 114 x 78 yards is within the laid down specs, there is also the requirement for 9m end margins and 6m side margins between the spectator areas and the goal lines / touchlines. This is why many clubs when hosting international competitions they have to mask off some of the front rows of seats.
Thanks Lundan, I wasn't aware of those international regs, but they are a bit over the top in my view.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
There is also a requirement for competent refereeing....