Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 60 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
ealinggreen":33kveevv said:
He said that he is looking to loan Tomlinson, he therefore needs two more centre backs.

I think the 2-3 more signings that RL mentioned today are likely to include Brendan Galloway or a similar player (which would give us 5 centre back options), a versatile midfielder and maybe another forward which would see a squad of about 20, with 5 or 6 of them able to cover 2or 3 different positions in the team , with some of the youngsters currently training with the first team providing back up.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
BojanTheGreat":hxstbhkb said:
We have only got three strikers at the club so will be looking for at least two more

Why at least 2 more Bojan ? I think Lowe will definitely bring 1 more in which would be 2 starting and 2 on the bench with his intention to use our youngsters rather than young loan players when necessary.

Mar 14, 2009
xmastree":295z82uz said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":295z82uz said:
Nobby":295z82uz said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":295z82uz said:
I just watched his pre-season interview for today.

More in hope, than expectation, l was hoping to hear about maybe one or two more players through the door.

I would feel another decent CM is a priority. A RWB for competition for Edwards and a physical forward.

If Galloway doesn’t sign then l feel we need competition at LWB.

I'm not sure we'll see another right back, given that James Bolton can play right back, Adam Randell can slot in at RWB, possible Grant or Cooper in an emergency. Edwards is very much first choice. Given that we have Houghton and Randell to play in that deep midfield role, Edwards is also clearly not needed there.

I wouldn’t have Edwards at CDM tbh. I’d have him at CM playing alongside Camara.

If people look at the Blackpool away game and the highlights, where Mayor gets caught in midfield in the second half of that game highlights the problems we will have next season if Lowe keeps playing Mayor at CM. Edwards is a much better CM than Mayor. Danny is a forward player. Square pegs, round holes.

Mayor needs help next season too. Too many times we relied too heavily on just him to unlock teams. Was totally unfair on him.

We ended the season with 2 wins from 15 games (maybe worse). Those two wins came from a 4ATB variation. Yes the defence was poor but it also highlights the vulnerability of the system we played and where certain individuals played. Edwards did a job at RWB. However, most of the season many Argyle fans mentioned how our attacking play came from mostly from the left. The right side was non existent at times. Edwards drives from deep positions, with and without the ball, but when it comes to crossing how many opportunities did he set up like C Grant via a cross. Argyle need a Mark Patterson type l feel. For me, a central midfield of Edwards and Camara running from deep positions is mouth watering.

So Mickey, where would you play Mayor within Lowe's favourite system?

To me you have two choices. One is play him in a free role behind the forward. The other is to play him left side of a forward. You could put G Cooper to the right side. You have to drop one of the forwards.

Basically the problem is Mayor’s lack of engine in the CM role and his defensive responsibilities. I go back to Northampton away. He is in our six yard box trying to do a headed clearance. It results in them scoring. That isn’t his strength. Think about our main weakness last season. It was losing complete control in second half of games. When Mayor’s influence dropped so did the teams and the opposition ran through us because Mayor doesn’t have the engine of a CM.

I guess we shall see but l thought teams ran through us last season because our back line was easily exposed by lack of cover. Football to me is about the strength of a team unit. To me, we play Mayor at CM and build everything around him but 75% of the time he wants to drift wide left anyhow leaving a massive gap in the centre of the park.

In other words l don’t think Mayor and G Cooper suits Lowe’s favoured system. Without Mayor though l worry about the creative nature of our side. I just would like to see a slight tweak to the formation. If l see 3-1-4-2 and Mayor at CM l fear for us this coming season.

Jan 2, 2006
DartingtonPilgrim":3dg8uohg said:
BojanTheGreat":3dg8uohg said:
We have only got three strikers at the club so will be looking for at least two more

Why at least 2 more Bojan ? I think Lowe will definitely bring 1 more in which would be 2 starting and 2 on the bench with his intention to use our youngsters rather than young loan players when necessary.

He likes 3 attacking options off the bench. There will also be injuries and possible Wales u21 call ups for Jephcott we cannot cope with so few attacking options especially when the 3 we have are so inexperienced. Maybe wide player who can also play up front if required will be one of his options?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
BojanTheGreat":65l5lmco said:
DartingtonPilgrim":65l5lmco said:
BojanTheGreat":65l5lmco said:

He likes 3 attacking options off the bench. There will also be injuries and possible Wales u21 call ups for Jephcott we cannot cope with so few attacking options especially when the 3 we have are so inexperienced. Maybe wide player who can also play up front if required will be one of his options?

Byron Moore perhaps? :)

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that this team is crying out for a tricky right sided winger with pace like Brennan Johnson, loaned to Lincoln, or Dembele, the Peterborough player, who can either dribble into the box or cross accurately from the by line. I know we would have no chance of getting either of them but this, to me, is the type of player we need as it will mean that opposition managers cannot detail their defence to double up on our left attacking side which creates the danger that we do create.
Attacking options from both sides is essential.
Surely, this is what our data analytics process should be trying to identify?

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
davie nine":1rjw12w5 said:
I think that this team is crying out for a tricky right sided winger with pace like Brennan Johnson, loaned to Lincoln, or Dembele, the Peterborough player, who can either dribble into the box or cross accurately from the by line. I know we would have no chance of getting either of them but this, to me, is the type of player we need as it will mean that opposition managers cannot detail their defence to double up on our left attacking side which creates the danger that we do create.

I expect it is. Otherwise what is the point of it?

Apr 1, 2009
davie nine":21qf4pyg said:

Main problem I see with this is that Lowe’s chosen formation, with 3 ATB and wingbacks, does not accommodate wingers. Fully agree however that we need supply lines from the right as well as the left

Feb 8, 2005
xmastree":2z1v4w4r said:
davie nine":2z1v4w4r said:

Main problem I see with this is that Lowe’s chosen formation, with 3 ATB and wingbacks, does not accommodate wingers. Fully agree however that we need supply lines from the right as well as the left

Wingbacks are defenders when defending but are wingers when attacking.

Jan 12, 2020
jimsing":ydgdsltm said:
xmastree":ydgdsltm said:
davie nine":ydgdsltm said:

Wingbacks are defenders when defending but are wingers when attacking.

If they’re doing it right anyway!

Mar 14, 2009
The characteristics of a wing back l feel is different from a full back.

A wing back gives the team width. It’s the main outlet. They have no real cover in front or behind them so they must have great stamina to run up and down that pitch. A wing back doesn’t need to be as defensively sound as a full back.

A full back has someone in front of him. An outlet. He also has someone to help him track players in front of him. He helps to provide the width. He isn’t the only man to provide it.

Personally, l can’t believe we started under Lowe to play a wing back system and these areas never really seemed the priority. They are places he has shoe horned players in to do a job.

When l see teams play the wing back system, l see their wing backs provide the width. In our team, Danny Mayor moves out of CM position and hugs the left touchline to provide our team with width. I just find it bewildering.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Cracking rumours :whistle:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I don’t care what formation he plays providing that he creates the option to be dangerous from both flanks.
Hopefully, our defence has been packed with more experience, height and strength and the problem of attackers being blamed for defensive mistakes at set pieces will become less apparent.