Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 16 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
slingsby_pobble":1juktb17 said:
Railway sleeper":1juktb17 said:
TheBoldman":1juktb17 said:
Is it just me or has Argyle's transfer scope narrowed significantly to UK-based players only over more recent seasons? I remember a time when Argyle signed Friio and Larrieu from French clubs, the Hungarian trio of Buszaky, Halmosi and Timar, and a Canadian player (Jason Bent) from a US club by way of Germany. With modern communications systems and data analytics software available to clubs, you would think that the transfer net would widen rather than narrow?

I don't know if politics and Brexit has had an impact on signing footballers as I haven't looked into it, but I would present Lewis Montsma (Lincoln City) as a case of what can be achieved if your scouting network is widened and is effective. Lincoln signed him from FC Dordrecht and he has been one of their standout players this season. Just some Tuesday afternoon musings with a bit of nostalgia...! :scarf:

Very true Boldman.

If your a fisherman , do you:
1. Fish in an area where there are lots of other fisherman- with the likelihood of a low catch of poor quality fish ........ OR

2. Fish in an area where there are very few other fisherman , with the catch likely to be large and high quality ?

I know where after footballers not fish, but the same principles apply I think.

Brexit has complicated things, but I still think we should be sending our fishing boats much further afield , if you follow my rather bizarre metaphor.

For example, the non- league circuit is heavily exploited by U.K. clubs , but I’ve never heard of an English club looking at the non- league circuit abroad ( although I’m sure there must be plenty of talent in these leagues)- might that be an idea for Argo ?

I've often wondered why we don't exploit the USA connection more. Specifically New England Revolution. We are Pligrims after all and the historical connection has to be worth something. More recently Simon Hallett's based in USA and could pull strings for us over there.

I know a lot of you are going to say, "yeah but US football is RUBBISH" but is it League One/Two rubbish? There have been a handful of US players in the Premiership and their international team always seems to do quite well.

There ought to be ways both clubs could benefit from a relationship, whether that's swapping players, fitness coaches or diet regime. On the wider point I wonder if there are players in the US who are good enough for us. And it might be a place that's mainly ignored by our rivals, allowing us to snap up players they'd otherwise miss.

Really good point actually! A lot of players over there that could definitely do a job for us in League 1 if not the championship too.

Jan 12, 2020
oddball":2l8eecle said:
France is a lot closer to Plymouth than Wales....it makes sense to navigate EU footy clubs rather than the British merry go round...we have done rather well over the years from signing players outside of England....

Clearly you’ve not looked at the other posts. We CAN’T take advantage of players in EU countries anymore after our glorious leaders inflicted Brexit on us. Work permits are now required and it’ll be incredibly difficult for clubs at anything below the Championship being able to afford the level of player that’d meet the necessary requirements.

There was also mention of the US market, and for similar reasons to above we are not in a position to make this work. The only players in the US who could be signed in these circumstances would be those who can claim British nationality.

May 8, 2011
Drake":241cgfdn said:
oddball":241cgfdn said:
France is a lot closer to Plymouth than Wales....it makes sense to navigate EU footy clubs rather than the British merry go round...we have done rather well over the years from signing players outside of England....

Clearly you’ve not looked at the other posts. We CAN’T take advantage of players in EU countries anymore after our glorious leaders inflicted Brexit on us. Work permits are now required and it’ll be incredibly difficult for clubs at anything below the Championship being able to afford the level of player that’d meet the necessary requirements.

There was also mention of the US market, and for similar reasons to above we are not in a position to make this work. The only players in the US who could be signed in these circumstances would be those who can claim British nationality.

Or Irish passport holders, as under the common travel agreement, Irish citizens can move to the UK without any restrictions.

Jan 27, 2012
If Wes Morgan got fitter and was prepared to drop down to League One he might fit the bill for a season.

I don't think he's going to command big wages anymore and he'd be a risky signing (even for a league One team) given his age and injury record. But he knows how to command a defence and clear crosses with his head.

He's one where geography would count against Argyle- we can't pay big money and Morgan is probably a multi-millionaire anyway. Why bother coming all the way down to the South West ?

Apr 1, 2009
GreatYarmouthGreen":274mzki9 said:
slingsby_pobble":274mzki9 said:
Railway sleeper":274mzki9 said:
TheBoldman":274mzki9 said:
Is it just me or has Argyle's transfer scope narrowed significantly to UK-based players only over more recent seasons? I remember a time when Argyle signed Friio and Larrieu from French clubs, the Hungarian trio of Buszaky, Halmosi and Timar, and a Canadian player (Jason Bent) from a US club by way of Germany. With modern communications systems and data analytics software available to clubs, you would think that the transfer net would widen rather than narrow?

I don't know if politics and Brexit has had an impact on signing footballers as I haven't looked into it, but I would present Lewis Montsma (Lincoln City) as a case of what can be achieved if your scouting network is widened and is effective. Lincoln signed him from FC Dordrecht and he has been one of their standout players this season. Just some Tuesday afternoon musings with a bit of nostalgia...! :scarf:

Very true Boldman.

If your a fisherman , do you:
1. Fish in an area where there are lots of other fisherman- with the likelihood of a low catch of poor quality fish ........ OR

2. Fish in an area where there are very few other fisherman , with the catch likely to be large and high quality ?

I know where after footballers not fish, but the same principles apply I think.

Brexit has complicated things, but I still think we should be sending our fishing boats much further afield , if you follow my rather bizarre metaphor.

For example, the non- league circuit is heavily exploited by U.K. clubs , but I’ve never heard of an English club looking at the non- league circuit abroad ( although I’m sure there must be plenty of talent in these leagues)- might that be an idea for Argo ?

I've often wondered why we don't exploit the USA connection more. Specifically New England Revolution. We are Pligrims after all and the historical connection has to be worth something. More recently Simon Hallett's based in USA and could pull strings for us over there.

I know a lot of you are going to say, "yeah but US football is RUBBISH" but is it League One/Two rubbish? There have been a handful of US players in the Premiership and their international team always seems to do quite well.

There ought to be ways both clubs could benefit from a relationship, whether that's swapping players, fitness coaches or diet regime. On the wider point I wonder if there are players in the US who are good enough for us. And it might be a place that's mainly ignored by our rivals, allowing us to snap up players they'd otherwise miss.

Really good point actually! A lot of players over there that could definitely do a job for us in League 1 if not the championship too.

They're still going to need work permits though, and won't get them.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
gaspargomez":282vvew0 said:
If Wes Morgan got fitter and was prepared to drop down to League One he might fit the bill for a season.

I don't think he's going to command big wages anymore and he'd be a risky signing (even for a league One team) given his age and injury record. But he knows how to command a defence and clear crosses with his head.

He's one where geography would count against Argyle- we can't pay big money and Morgan is probably a multi-millionaire anyway. Why bother coming all the way down to the South West ?
As you say he is probably a multi millionaire unless he has squandered his earnings. Such players these days don't need a last pay day in the lower leagues and would only continue if they were fit and just loved playing.

Aug 5, 2016
gaspargomez":2c316ksc said:

If a senior Premier League player was even prepared to play for £5,000 a week in the first place, then it wouldn’t just be Argyle offering it - so would MK Dons, Peterborough, Lincoln, Ipswich, Northampton, Burton Albion, Shrewsbury etc.

So then it is a case of a contract he would have to move home for, over several offers he doesn’t. Just like all the other players who are settled and don’t fancy moving to Plymouth.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
WoodsyGreen":3m0mdbis said:
Chances of Wes Morgan considering a contract from Argyle: what's a number less than zero?

Minus 1?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
HC Green":ta6hithv said:
Drake":ta6hithv said:
oddball":ta6hithv said:

Or Irish passport holders, as under the common travel agreement, Irish citizens can move to the UK without any restrictions.

Good point, but for every Nial Quinn there is a Rory Paterson. He came to Argyle as a proven goal scorer in Ireland, but did not exactly pull up trees in the lower league..it was a major disappointment, you will recall.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Not sure if already mentioned somewhere but Marcus Madisson has been released by Charlton. Was on loan at Bolton towards the back end of last season helping them to L2 promotion.

Still only 27 and certainly good enough for us - worth a shout?

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":rbxgkj8g said:
Not sure if already mentioned somewhere but Marcus Madisson has been released by Charlton. Was on loan at Bolton towards the back end of last season helping them to L2 promotion.

No thanks. Horrible attitude. There's a reason he's had so many clubs.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
JannerinCardiff":1dh31isr said:

Surprisingly he's signed for non league side Spalding United.