Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumour Round-up

Nov 2, 2004
Not a straightforward release, he informed Luton that he would not be signing a new contract. It is believed that he has an understanding with Hull.

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Great move for Bradley, moving back home to stay in the Championship and probably with a 3-year contract. Good luck to him.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
ealinggreen":22ssnmuu said:
Not a straightforward release, he informed Luton that he would not be signing a new contract. It is believed that he has an understanding with Hull.
thanks for that.what a wise man sonny is.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
PL2 3DQ":3gzrlvx2 said:
How about - midfielder DennisĀ Adeniran who has been released by Everton after spending the season on loan at Wycombe.
Aged 22 he's a defensive midfielder but can play as a conventional midfielder.
i would be very surprised if he didn't sign for wycome.

May 16, 2018
Not really a rumour but would like to see us take a look at Aaron Morley from Rochdale who of course have now been relegated

P

Paranoid Android

jimsing":dc97vttx said:
I'm pretty sure we will see three at the back next season. That is Lowe's preferred set up and I cannot see him changing especially with new defenders in place. I think he only changed to a back four to accommodate the personnel, who were not working well as a back three.

For this setup to be successful he needs a big strong centre half in the middle, who can be first to the crosses coming in from the sides, and be able to pass to the side or forward when they have the ball, as Opoku used to do.

However, he had three or four centre backs who he tried to use as left and right centre backs, and it didn't work.

As I see it, in this formation, a back three should consist of a strong centre half and two centre backs who can also play as a left or right full back (a la Sawyer) when the opposition have the ball and the wingback is caught out further up the field.

Last season we were caught out by the opposition wingers playing against the left and right centre backs who were not full backs but were centre halves who played in that position.

For example, Watts is a centre half, not a full back, he was good in the air but he struggled at times against the opposition wingmen, especially the quick ones. We cannot afford for that to happen as that is where the crosses come in, and the opportunity to create scoring opportunities lies.

The wingbacks, as the name implies, have to be good going forward as well as good defending, and needs players that can get up and down the field of play to do both jobs.

As far as I can see we need defensive players who can do two jobs. Play as centre halves AND as a full back, and wingbacks who can play as a full back AND a winger.

We certainly need greater height in the team, which is perhaps one of the reasons why Reeves has been released.

I'm not sure where George Cooper fits into this system, he is not a full back but is good going forward.

I think Lowe will have to tweak things if he is to play Cooper on the left, but I suppose that all depends on who Lowe can persuade to come to Devon.

Many were screaming at Lowe to change to 4 at the back, and in my opinion it worked. We looked far more solid and noticeable better balanced left and right going forward. The only drawback was the lack of confidence from the poor run of form leading up to it, so we were still losing but not rolling over. None of the top 6 were using 3 ATB and very few play it, so why would he think we can? I think the pennies dropped

I just can't see Ryan sticking with 3ATB, bearing in mind we only have Tomlinson. He would need to find at least 4 probably 5 CBs of league 1 quality, who are ball players, and that's just not feasible in my eyes. If he does go back to the 3, I would be worried. With 4 ATB it's not so important to have ball playing CBs with 2 holding mids in front of them and full backs to receive the ball. Opponents wouldn't be able to overload us in the press either, we'd always have a man free.

So more robust CBs as mentioned by others would work in that formation, in my view. I think he'd need to recruit 3 fairly competent CBs, plus Tomlinson, for that system, who don't need to play like Van Dyke. Evidence, Fornah slotting in to CB for the first time in his career, next to Kell Watts, and they looked pretty good against a robust opponent.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
Thing is Mr Android, if he sticks with a back 4 he has to recruit 3-4 centre halves AND 3-4 proper full backs so the recruitment argument is flawed.

He will go to 3 anyway, its the style he has set out to play with at all levels, he only went to 4 when he had a player shortage and it didn't stem the flow of goals, as well as restricting our attacking play and dragging the two centre midfielders further back.

I was surprised that he didn't make more use of the two defensive midfielder ploy which he used at times in league 2 and early last season when he wanted to make things tighter. It's a relatively easy to make tactical tweak mid-game. It seemed to disappear when he started to use Grant wide when he lost G Cooper or maybe Camara was asked to do it and it just didn't appear to be happening.

Without the covid restrictions this window should be interesting.

JannerinCardiff

šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æšŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳ó æ
ā™£ļø SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Steve Evans":3nsmon6h said:
earl grey":3nsmon6h said:
Sonny Bradley available again.

If only he felt he had unfinished business
surprised he's been released!

Probably because 10k a week is too much for him.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
JannerinCardiff":32mr03l6 said:
Steve Evans":32mr03l6 said:
earl grey":32mr03l6 said:
Sonny Bradley available again.

If only he felt he had unfinished business
surprised he's been released!

Probably because 10k a week is too much for him.

The Lancashire Live website advises that PNE are behind Ipswich in the race to sign Bradley. PNE had also chased his signature in the January window. The Luton Fans website indicates that SB proposes to walk away from Luton at the end of his contract. I still think he will head for Hull.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Not sure if heā€™s already been mentioned but it wouldnā€™t surprise me to see us take a punt on Matty Palmer, he was good for Burton a few years ago and at 26 thereā€™s still a chance for him to get his career on track. Within our budget.

Similar sort of player to Jose Baxter.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
LeonTheGreen":2vujh0dp said:
Not sure if heā€™s already been mentioned but it wouldnā€™t surprise me to see us take a punt on Matty Palmer, he was good for Burton a few years ago and at 26 thereā€™s still a chance for him to get his career on track. Within our budget.

Matty Palmer has not played for Burton since 2018 and of more recent times has been at Swindon. It does not appear that he could light up their dismal performances last season, although I accept there were 10 others in the team.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Quintrell_Green":2hoa1jaz said:
LeonTheGreen":2hoa1jaz said:

Matty Palmer has not played for Burton since 2018 and of more recent times has been at Swindon. It does not appear that he could light up their dismal performances last season, although I accept there were 10 others in the team.

Iā€™m aware of that. I wasnā€™t saying that I wanted him, but that heā€™s the sort of player weā€™ll end up signing. Weā€™ve got to be realistic with our budget and heā€™s a player who was tipped for bigger things a few years ago, and for whatever reason, it hasnā€™t happened.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Our Conferencing and Events team seem to be working tirelessly to ensure that events are being arranged 7 days a week.
We have been very unfortunate that the pandemic has prevented us from changing from receiving most of our main income once a fortnight during the season.
However, hopefully, this will now change and our recruitment budget should reflect this considerable increase in income.
Obviously, it will take time for our Board to project extra income with confidence but we seem to be heading in the right direction.

jerryatricjanner

āœ… Evergreen
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 22, 2006
davie nine":1ailtasi said:
Our Conferencing and Events team seem to be working tirelessly to ensure that events are being arranged 7 days a week.
We have been very unfortunate that the pandemic has prevented us from changing from receiving most of our main income once a fortnight during the season.
However, hopefully, this will now change and our recruitment budget should reflect this considerable increase in income.
Obviously, it will take time for our Board to project extra income with confidence but we seem to be heading in the right direction.

Good to hear, though much of any surplus will initially I guess go to making sure we are sustainable as Mr Hallett understandably doesn't want to put anymore money in. We hope there is sufficient left to aid with increasing the wage budget.