Plymouth airport | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth airport

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
The sea-wall at Dawlish isn't the biggest problem for the main line here: the line running though the sand-dunes at Dawlish Warren most definitely is, given the amount of erosion in the area.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Surprising nothing on Plymouth Live.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Can it really be true that Plymouth’s runway is too short for commercial jets? I’ve used Gibraltar airport many times, and its runway is considerably shorter than I recall Plymouth being on my one flight there.
Gibraltar’s is 600m longer. Never will commercial flights take off from Plymouth again.

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
There must be folk with a small plane they want to park up or folk who want to learn to fly. Businesses who do fun flights around the Hoe or out to the Eddystone or moors. To have a viable airport, you don't need commercial flights to London ...

Reactions: AdelaideGreen

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Gibraltar’s is 600m longer. Never will commercial flights take off from Plymouth again.
And all of the flights that used to fly out and in?? We are not talking about Boeing 737's.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
And all of the flights that used to fly out and in?? We are not talking about Boeing 737's.
The unprofitable ones you mean?

We have 2 international airports within an hours drive of Plymouth. We really don’t ‘need’ one in Plymouth at all. What we do need is a better rail and road network and that’s what our local councillors and MP’s should be focussing on. Not something that makes no commercial sense, but is seen as a vote winner.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
The unprofitable ones you mean?

We have 2 international airports within an hours drive of Plymouth. We really don’t ‘need’ one in Plymouth at all. What we do need is a better rail and road network and that’s what our local councillors and MP’s should be focussing on. Not something that makes no commercial sense, but is seen as a vote winner.
You obviously have an alternative agenda Daz. Perhaps you work for SHG or even ECC???
And just how long do you think any PCC needs to focus on improving the road and rail network? It's been rubbish for most of our lifetimes. They should be constantly harassing central government to help with this but, as well as road and rail, an airport could be profitably used for many things, in the right hands... IMO of course.

• Haha
Reactions: Daz

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
You obviously have an alternative agenda Daz. Perhaps you work for SHG or even ECC???
And just how long do you think any PCC needs to focus on improving the road and rail network? It's been rubbish for most of our lifetimes. They should be constantly harassing central government to help with this but, as well as road and rail, an airport could be profitably used for many things, in the right hands... IMO of course.
Yes you got me there, I work for Sutton Harbour and ECC. 🤣🤣 Why would I have an alternative agenda? Is it that I disagree with you?

I actually know a bit about the airport and how underused it was as I used to use it a lot and my wife worked as cabin crew for BA and Air south west from there. She was made redundant when pregnant because no one used it - that is a fact. Not some made-up numbers about the amount of people living in the area who 'could' use it.