Plymouth airport | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth airport

Aug 5, 2015
Perhaps calling it Roborough Airport wasn’t such a good idea! I did work there back in Brymon days. The only full flights were to Jersey at weekends in the summer. I did get to fly up to Gatwick once. It was a very good experience flying at about 12000 feet over Southampton!

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Perhaps calling it Roborough Airport wasn’t such a good idea!

You know, I've had to look that bit up, because when I grew up I always referred to it as Roborough Airport, but looking at the history it's always been Plymouth Airport except when the crabs took it over and it became RAF Roborough during the war. Maybe that's why the locals always referred to it as such...

Aug 5, 2015
Interesting. But I’ve always known it as Roborough Airport. There was some talk about using the disused airfield at Yelverton many moons ago but I think that was shelved because of weather issues before radar assisted landings came into use.

Oh, I agree with you 100% about the lack of future-proofing and focussing on short-term thinking and, yes, over the coming decades there will be electric aircraft which would address issues regarding noise and air pollution, but long-term thinking and keeping a giant bit of real-estate free just in case there's suddenly a call for the airport to reopen in 20 years time is a luxury which PCC can hardly afford to have.

The bit I find interesting - not that I've researched this very deeply, so I'll probably be proved wrong in about 5 minutes :D - is that I can't find any mention of taking advantage of using the airport now that Plymouth has been awarded the free-port status by the Government. Plenty of talk about a jobs boom and £100 million investment coming our way (although I'll believe that only when it happens), and talks about more investment for Devonport, Langage Energy Zone and the proposed Sherford Business Park, but nowt about how an airport could be key part of Plymouth being a free-port. Not by FlyPlymouth, not by PCC, not by the Government or any of the businesses. It simply isn't part of their strategic thinking, short-term or long-term.
Freezone, unfortunately Plymouths freeport doesn’t include a port. But yes I agree, an airport and the freezone will drive each others success. Plymouth exports direct to Mexico for example, always a worry when the Mexican visit, and have the usual tribulations about getting to Plym from London without delays. An airfield would be a natural complement to each other’s success.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
It isn't a plan: it's a pie-in-the-sky from one bloke which will never see the light of day because it won't be commercially viable.

May 8, 2011

Another false dawn for the airport or does it have a genuine chance?
No chance as he is unlikely to be the Council Leader after May.
Based on the two Council by elections recently that the Tories lost heavily one to Labour and one to the Greens they are going to get hammered in May.
The current Conservative administration is in chaos with a deep split, Councillors being suspended or quitting the party to sit as Independents, looks unlikely they have got enough votes to get their budget for next year through.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Reactions: Belfast Green

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
Sheffield is 19 miles from Doncaster Sheffield Airport with transport links.
Brighton is 27 miles from Gatwick and 7 miles from Shoreham Brighton Airport.
I'd settle for that rather than having to get to Exeter on a non motorway road and a slow sea flooded railway.
The world is facing an ecological crisis which threatens the existence of most species. Oh yeah, let’s have another airport!

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
It may have escaped your thinking but “people in London “ also have very, very good road and rail links. Something that Plymouth is truly lacking.
Well the railway should be improved

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Well the railway should be improved
Not until they sort out the alternative "northern" route, which, imho, should never have been closed in the first place.

Dawlish will always be a problem, regardless of how much concrete they chuck at it.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
Not until they sort out the alternative "northern" route, which, imho, should never have been closed in the first place.

Dawlish will always be a problem, regardless of how much concrete they chuck at it.
Definitely.

Reactions: Andy S