Please God, not Wycombe again... | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Please God, not Wycombe again...

Oct 31, 2015
PilgrimZ1R":37yv7k7e said:
Not really interested in what you think, It’s my opinion.

Yea but not the best opinion imho. Too many hrs sniffing chlorine

G

Greenskin

mervyn":2m1z0d1y said:
gaspargomez":2m1z0d1y said:
Mark58":2m1z0d1y said:
Not even Exeter missing out on automatic made me feel any better.

Maybe I'm on my own here, but I'm not bothered whether or not Exeter win promotion or not. Having them in the same league has the advantage of generating larger crowds for a couple of games- so its always a bit of fun. They are a much smaller club and shouldn't be considered as a "rival". Over the course of time Argyle have finished above them in the league pyramid nearly every season- with only a few exceptions. I view them as a club to take the pi44 out of rather than something to compare Argyle with. Same with Wycombe really.

We should be looking at the likes of Bristol City really.

When I moved here in 1983, the year that Exeter joined Argyle in the third tier for one season, I was surprised to learn that virtually all Argyle fans didn’t regard Exeter as a derby. When I watched the game at HP that season as a neutral, before becoming an Argyle supporter, it was totally low key, with Exeter treated with no more rivalry than any other visiting teams. Would be nice to ascend the pyramid for long enough to return to that. In the meanwhile I wish Exeter well.

Exeter and Argyle were in the same division from 1977 until 1984-not sure which Argyle fans you mixed with but they must have had their heads buried in the sand to say that there was no rivalry.Violence was commonplace during those years with pubs getting wrecked and some severe beatings being dished out by either side.Going into HP or SJP in those days was a bit like walking into a Turkish bath of hatred and unless you were with a large group wearing any sort of club colours was not recommended.Probably it was different in the 1950's [Argyle seldom played them in the 1960s] but the 1970's and early 1980's clashes were hairy indeed.

Greenskin":3ddv4i19 said:
mervyn":3ddv4i19 said:
gaspargomez":3ddv4i19 said:
Mark58":3ddv4i19 said:
Not even Exeter missing out on automatic made me feel any better.

Maybe I'm on my own here, but I'm not bothered whether or not Exeter win promotion or not. Having them in the same league has the advantage of generating larger crowds for a couple of games- so its always a bit of fun. They are a much smaller club and shouldn't be considered as a "rival". Over the course of time Argyle have finished above them in the league pyramid nearly every season- with only a few exceptions. I view them as a club to take the pi44 out of rather than something to compare Argyle with. Same with Wycombe really.

We should be looking at the likes of Bristol City really.

When I moved here in 1983, the year that Exeter joined Argyle in the third tier for one season, I was surprised to learn that virtually all Argyle fans didn’t regard Exeter as a derby. When I watched the game at HP that season as a neutral, before becoming an Argyle supporter, it was totally low key, with Exeter treated with no more rivalry than any other visiting teams. Would be nice to ascend the pyramid for long enough to return to that. In the meanwhile I wish Exeter well.

Exeter and Argyle were in the same division from 1977 until 1984-not sure which Argyle fans you mixed with but they must have had their heads buried in the sand to say that there was no rivalry.Violence was commonplace during those years with pubs getting wrecked and some severe beatings being dished out by either side.Going into HP or SJP in those days was a bit like walking into a Turkish bath of hatred and unless you were with a large group wearing any sort of club colours was not recommended.Probably it was different in the 1950's [Argyle seldom played them in the 1960s] but the 1970's and early 1980's clashes were hairy indeed.

I suspect I was comparing it to all the London derbies i’d been to over the previous twenty years, which may have made it seem a lot quieter.