Playing out from the back | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Playing out from the back

Oct 24, 2010
Although it was difficult I thought our approach play was reasonably effective, the problem was a lack of quality in the last third. Jephcott, Hardie and Mayor all found themselves in good situations on more than one occasion but rushed things and the chances were lost. When we play teams who match us up formation wise the opposing wing backs tend to man mark each other out of the game, which considering how effective Grant has been for this season is a problem. I don't think it helps by Mayor continually cutting inside and not linking up with Grant but as I said we did create enough dangerous situations to have scored a couple of goals which with better defending would have won us the game

Sep 6, 2006
Although it was difficult I thought our approach play was reasonably effective, the problem was a lack of quality in the last third. Jephcott, Hardie and Mayor all found themselves in good situations on more than one occasion but rushed things and the chances were lost. When we play teams who match us up formation wise the opposing wing backs tend to man mark each other out of the game, which considering how effective Grant has been for this season is a problem. I don't think it helps by Mayor continually cutting inside and not linking up with Grant but as I said we did create enough dangerous situations to have scored a couple of goals which with better defending would have won us the game
So if we had attacked better and defended better we would have won.

Dec 30, 2011
They didnā€™t press at all and Dan Scarr, who I rate highly, didnā€™t know what to do. He should have carried the ball just like Brendon did when he got injured. I just didnā€™t know why he just wouldnā€™t run with the ball into so much space. I think he did it once and then got a nose bleed šŸ˜Š
It looked to me that he wasnt confident in continuing further towards their goal and/or was concerned that nobody was filling the gap behind him in our defence as he went forward. I agree he should have kept going.