Playing out from the back | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Playing out from the back

Oct 28, 2011
Nottingham
Even though Wycombe seemed to be set up to negate any sort of positive play from us, we did create a lot of chances and the game could have gone either way until they scored their second goal.

Either Wycombe play like this every week or they did it as a complement to our team. Whatever the case, I am pretty glad that Argyle in a position to try and play in the right way even against the biggest teams in the league.

Aug 5, 2016
Really?!
You watched a different game to me because from my perspective Wycombe took a tactical decision NOT to press. In fact we were under zero pressure whatsoever in possession until the final third when they mostly managed to swamp us (although we did on reflection make a few chances where we should have tested the keeper).

Their deep, compact shape said to Scarr etc, come towards us and try and find an absolute worldy pass.
Would longer passing have worked any better? Not with the strike partnership last night I don't think

They seemed to press everyone hard except Scarr.
Jephcott had to drop ridiculously deep to offer an outlet, and the majority of times he had to pass it backwards, often straight back to Scarr, because he was beong marked too tightly to turn.
As for Scarr galloping forward to make use of the space, what is the point when everyone he can offload the ball to is marked?
What happens when the move breaks down (as it often did within 2 passes of it leaving Scarr) and our CB finds himself on the edge of their box instead of ours??
That counter attacking gap is the entire reason why Wycombe left the door open for him to come in. Get Argyle's best aerial CB out of there, boot it up to Vokes and Mehmeti on the counter = opportunity.
Did Scarr have enough quality about him to punish them with the time and space they gave him? Evidently not.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Tactically outwitted.

Sep 6, 2006
Even though Wycombe seemed to be set up to negate any sort of positive play from us, we did create a lot of chances and the game could have gone either way until they scored their second goal.

Either Wycombe play like this every week or they did it as a complement to our team. Whatever the case, I am pretty glad that Argyle in a position to try and play in the right way even against the biggest teams in the league.
I just don't remember all these 'chances'???!

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
The defensive ball-cycling system, which is great to watch frankly, is only as good under pressure as the weakest link.
So you change the link (would seem an odd game to drop Scarr for) or you figure out the pressure release.
And if your opposition like Wanderers are better prepared enough to out run you, and encourage you to have Scarr on the ball because that's the one player they really want you to have on the ball, and you aren't running enough collectively to get free and mix it up, then it all appears somewhat fragile doesn't it.
We've good legs in the midfield typically, gone are the horrific days of Fox and Songo in there.
Some rest and more energy back, we can still match most.

Oct 15, 2017
Should we be prepared to mix up the tactics a bit and instead of always playing out from the back occasionally go long? Last night’s game against Wycombe became so predictable and their press was pretty effective meaning that we were often under pressure immediately the ball was back in play.

Wycombe went long 3 times = 3 goals we played our normal sideways backward and sideways dead slow
build up as always = 0 goals, the amount of time we spend playing in our own half is the only reason we get
credited with the most pocession.

J Y Kelly

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 14, 2006
Ancient history alert: I remember that teams used to do the same to Nottingham Forest when Kenny Burns was centre half. They'd give him the freedom to carry the ball out as far as he could and then mug him when he ran out of options and ideas in nose bleed country. It's the sort of situation Curtis Nelson could have exploited. As an option I would have liked Mayor or Pan to collect the ball and go on a run.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
One option might have been to temporarily swap the positions of the back three with, say, Wilson moving into the centre and becoming the ball carrier. Wycombe might then have continued to only allow Scarr to advance but this would have changed our exit route and disrupted their shape.
Maybe.

Sep 22, 2020
much prefer the wycombe approach (ala sturrock) of getting the ball in the last third as quickly as possible to see what damage can be done rather than taking 20 passes to get there. for all our possession i cannot remember their keeper making any saves of note. all looks very pretty passing amongst ourselves but can be very ineffective against a team who just stand off and watch waiting for their moment to pounce. all down to a choice of styles i suppose but who is to say which is better?

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Jephcott made a lot of useful runs back to get the ball from Scarr (whose distribution I thought was pretty good under the circumstances). I was thinking it could have put Wycombe under more pressure if Jephcott had turned towards their goal with the ball a few more times as he received it, difficult skill though that must be.
I kept saying that about Jeffers too at the time,frustrating.

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
For the most part our 'playing out from the back' has been exemplary' as many teams have failed to cope with the slick 'patterns of play' that have been instilled in the back three and Houghton in particular. Many rightly eulogised how well we played out against Sheffield Wednesday (in both games). It was a joy to watch and exceeding many expectations of the ability of the players to deploy it.

inevitably, teams will use different strategies to impede its implementation. Wycombe's decision to allow Scarr to have the ball without challenge was particularly effective. However, with 27 shots at goal we should have been in front before they scored. Unusually, as Ryan Lowe said, all three goals were uncharacteristic mistakes by the back three and Cooper and not a direct result of Wycombe's game plan.

No doubt other teams may use the same ploy but Ryan Lowe and his coaching team will have to find other ways around it as they have done most effectively for most games this season. Ultimately, that may mean the acquisition of a Sam Vokes type to provide an alternative play up top but until then there can be no expectation of the 'lump it' and play in their half as a tactical alternative.

Feb 13, 2021
Wycombe went long 3 times = 3 goals we played our normal sideways backward and sideways dead slow
build up as always = 0 goals, the amount of time we spend playing in our own half is the only reason we get
credited with the most pocession.
Strange that we average just under 2 goals per game

Jun 9, 2006
Exmuff
I agree, but every game is different, if mayor had started coming deep - like he had to last season I am sure there would be plenty of complaints , esp if he has lost possession which at this level you have to accept will happen . For me Garrick and Agard should have come on at half-time we were lacking any firepower/pace on Tuesday night.

Sep 22, 2020
probably not the thing to say on Pasoti but much of Tuesday was down to Ainsworth being a very good manager and knowing how to adapt his team to beat the opposition.