Phillips and Devine | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Phillips and Devine

May 4, 2024
I wouldn't be sad not seeing them in green again. Always appreciate the efforts whilst they played in green but next season we got to be looking for a better quality of player IMO. Phillips never looked quite assured enough and always seemed a little bit liable and Devine didn't really show the passion we come to expect from a green shirt unfortunately until the final game! First time poster, been a reader on pasoti for 20 plus years and an argyle fan my whole life and finally decided to get involved! Still buzzing off the back of yesterday afternoon!

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Never fall in love with a loanee after the circumstances we found ourselves in January
Their parent club may have already pencilled in clubs that Ashley & Alfie will be signing for next season

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
A little perspective. Devine is 19 years old. Azaz was being loaned to Newport and Cheltenham in League 2 and League 1 at 20 and 21 years old. He would come back a better player again next season.
Phillips too with plenty of match time at 18 years old can only get better.

Oct 5, 2013
A little perspective. Devine is 19 years old. Azaz was being loaned to Newport and Cheltenham in League 2 and League 1 at 20 and 21 years old. He would come back a better player again next season.
Phillips too with plenty of match time at 18 years old can only get better.
Exactly.
I think they have both come on heaps since with us, and are great prospects. Both have seemed very committed to Argyle and seem to “get” the club, Phillips especially appears to have loved interacting with the crowd.
Clearly both are already at Championship level, how they performed yesterday against Hull is confirmation of this!
Would readily take both back, and that might be a very good move for them too as will likely get more game time at Argyle than at other places.

Jul 5, 2023
I was concentrating intensely at the start of the match yesterday, and after the 1st 5 minutes suddenly said to my other half that we were moving the ball up the pitch really well, which I wasn't expecting, then realised it must be Devine doing so, so started to look out for him. He had a cracking game. If we can get him back next season, with a full pre season, and Morgs and Hardie staying, he'll be our midfield missing link.
Its also clear that despite whats been going on behind the scenes, Phillips has also enjoyed being here, I hope he comes back too

Reactions: Andy70

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I certainly like what I have seen of Phillips, though I do think a proper pre-season will do him good. I have no doubts about his ability but his fitness does seem questionable for a young player. But when it comes to ability, I remember seeing an interview with Tony Mowbray, speaking about Phillips when the two were together at Blackburn. I always think Mowbray is one of those people worth listening to. He isn't full of sound-bites and cliches. In my eyes he is a down to earth, proper football man. This what he said "He's fast, mobile and can pass it really well. He can use both feet, he's composed...if you were to create a defender in the mould of how you would want one, this kid has got every attribute." I thought it said a lot yesterday that Dewsnip and Nance went with him for such a vital game.
I have yet to have had time to watch the full match replay but I'm excited about seeing Devine as there is no doubt he has ability and it sounds as if he benefited from playing to his strengths. His assist for Hardie to score at the Barn Park End - Cardiff was it - showed me that the lad has class and and an eye for a pass. He just needs to be able to play to his strengths. Would be interesting to see where Port Vale were in the table when he left.

Apr 2, 2024
Squad depth is always a challenge for us and both players would be fantastic additions.

They have the right maturity and attitude to training (I assume) and have settled in.

With good coaching both have the potential to get better.

Hopefully they’ll stay and it will be another win win situation for all involved.

NLG

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
I doubt Dewsnip would have said we have started the ball rolling with early discussions unless both players actually said they wanted to come back. This to me says we must have a chance.

Reactions: boletus edulis
Jul 28, 2020
I think we will be exceptionally lucky ( I hope we are though) to see Phillip s back here again next season

Alfie devine- I'm really not sure about. More to come from him perhaps- but on the basis of what I've seen thus far- it would be a 'no'.

Darko gyabi is one I'd like to see back here, as well as nigel longwijk. I think it would be worth paying a fee for both of these players ( which would have to be an 'Argyle' fee) Both fit the type of model I think were going to need- height,presence,pace,ability. ..

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I think we will be exceptionally lucky ( I hope we are though) to see Phillip s back here again next season

Alfie devine- I'm really not sure about. More to come from him perhaps- but on the basis of what I've seen thus far- it would be a 'no'.

Darko gyabi is one I'd like to see back here, as well as nigel longwijk. I think it would be worth paying a fee for both of these players ( which would have to be an 'Argyle' fee) Both fit the type of model I think were going to need- height,presence,pace,ability. ..
I think Lonwijk's contract with Wolves expires this summer too. Hmm

Reactions: Railway sleeper