Phillips and Devine | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Phillips and Devine

Jul 12, 2016
That is basically the job of a head coach, yes.
What! It certainly worked with the senior players under Foster. I am sure the head coach would prefer an input into the players he is expected to work with rather than have them imposed on him.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Call him what you like. What’s in a job title? Couldn’t give a toss what they call him as long as he produces the goods
Chill.

A head coach generally coaches the players he's given. He does have input into who we sign but it's generally based on data.

A manager manages the entire playing side, including which players he brings in, and oversees all the different age groups levels within the club.

So the job title is important

jthep

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Apr 28, 2011
If players are signed, loans agreed or contracts extended they are not impositions.

Once the new head coach is in place no doubt he will have a significant input -and if players were then signed against his will then yes they would be impositions. Until the appointment is made it is the current management teams responsibility to ensure that key opportunities are followed up and that key signings are secured.

As for the comment that Nigel is a better prospect than Ashley - you must be joking. NL is a decent and gifted player - but in my view will never make it above League One. He simply lacks the energy and determination that AP has - let alone the very significant potential. I would also suggest the Alfie is real work in progress - and played in the right position and formation also has great potential. If we can keep them please act now!

Jan 8, 2024
FWIW a poster on a closed Spurs forum with good knowledge of our youngsters' situations has said that both Ash and Alfie are keen on returning next season and Spurs have been very happy with their game time and development/improvement.

If that is accurate, the only points for discussion would be whether loan fees would be payable and what percentage of their wages would be paid by Spurs. I doubt there would be loan fees if Spurs want them to return to Argyle so I expect there will be agreement for them to be back next season.

Jul 12, 2016
Chill.

A head coach generally coaches the players he's given. He does have input into who we sign but it's generally based on data.

A manager manages the entire playing side, including which players he brings in, and oversees all the different age groups levels within the club.

A manager it is then.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth

Indeed.

There was an interesting episode of the Overlap a while back during which Gary Neville described Salford’s recruitment process, the head coach has a say, but so does the CEO, so does the owner, so do the analysts, and they can veto each-other, but if everyone’s on the same page and working toward the same goal they don’t tend to need to.

I don’t have a problem with going down the head coach route, it’s the modern way of doing things, but you need everyone singing from the same hymn sheet, we didn’t have that with Foster, the recruitment team had a few players all but signed before Foster arrived, Foster said no to all of them (bar Forshaw) and only wanted to bring in players he knew, the club let him, when really they should have vetoed him.

Feb 8, 2005
A manager it is then.
I know you said that with tongue in cheek, Oldy.

He cannot be a manager, as we have a Director of Football over him, data analyst, head of data, head of recruitment, first team analyst, lead performance analyst as well as also senior management at our Academy, so our head coach only has to concentrate on our first team, which will be his main responsibility.

I really hope that he will bring his coaching staff with him, but Neil did suggest that he was more than happy with the coaching staff we now have, but who have now come to the end of their contract and would have no hesitation in recommending them to the new head coach, if that was what was required.

Oct 14, 2015
Not sure if it’s been mentioned in here but according to the Internet the U21 manager at Spurs is a certain Wayne Burnett, the one who played for us.

Sep 6, 2006
I would definitely take these 2 back. Once Devine was played in his best role in the centre he looked quite decent and should continue improving. No idea why he was originally played out wide and neither does he probably

Reactions: memory man

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
I’d have both of them back in a heart beat. Apart from a couple of iffy performances (which all our players had at some point), they didn’t look out of their depth, and they will only improve.

I’d also have Gyabi back - maybe a chance of a permanent deal if Leeds go up?

Reactions: Mark Pedlar

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
A manager it is then.
In his press conference after the Hull game, Dewsnip was asked if the new man would be a manager or a coach and Dewsnip confirmed the new man will be a coach.

Jul 12, 2016
If players are signed, loans agreed or contracts extended they are not impositions.

Once the new head coach is in place no doubt he will have a significant input -and if players were then signed against his will then yes they would be impositions. Until the appointment is made it is the current management teams responsibility to ensure that key opportunities are followed up and that key signings are secured.

As for the comment that Nigel is a better prospect than Ashley - you must be joking. NL is a decent and gifted player - but in my view will never make it above League One. He simply lacks the energy and determination that AP has - let alone the very significant potential. I would also suggest the Alfie is real work in progress - and played in the right position and formation also has great potential. If we can keep them please act now!
Nigel?

Jul 12, 2016

Phillips is still a boy trying to do a man’s job and this was quite apparent when he was up against seasoned pros. He has the potential but not sure he would be good enough to improve our position in the championship next season.

Reactions: green pants