Permanent deal for Macca? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Permanent deal for Macca?

Jul 6, 2011
GreenSam":hlca39g6 said:
HarlHM":hlca39g6 said:
I dunno if Macca would be so determined to play as a striker. He was played there a lot last season don't forget, and in this spell and signed for us again after each time. I'm not so sure he'd be better up front either. I don't think his finishing is all that great and I think his stamina, work rate and his passing/crossing product is what makes him a good League Two player out wide. And perhaps his family may choose to move down with him. He reminds me a bit of David Norris out wide, I think that could be where his future lies.
I do too. Considering the amount of strikers that there are already at the club, playing him out wide seems the obvious decision.

Joe Lennox is a winger and provided two assists the other night. So we now drop him for someone who is a striker and has not provided many assists, if any this season? Why do we look to play players out of position just to give them a game. I have the same problem with Baz on the wing. I recall him setting up one goal this season while if he played in his natural position we would be stronger in defence.
There's more to it then direct assists though. There's off the ball work and on the ball work that can lead to other people getting assists and goals and similar work that makes sure we don't concede goals, on the break for example.

I think when Macca is good and fully match fit (which arguably he hasn't been) then he's an excellent winger. His stamina, energy and workrate would be very beneficial as part of a high pressing regime off the ball. He can run with the ball, he can pass, he can cross. Playing the right style and with the right type of striker to meet his service I think he's got the potential to be quality out wide. As I say, reminds me a lot of David Norris. He's good as a striker but I'm not convinced by what I've seen of his finishing that he'd be much of a poacher. He'd be at his best as a striker doing the Feeney role of running at and harrying defenders, again as part of a high line of pressing. MacDonald and Joe Lennox are entirely different types of players (see David Norris and Martin Phillips of old) but both can be effective out wide.

As for Baz, I think he's looked a little lukewarm at left-back of late. Certainly not as good as he can be. Since going left he's looked very sharp, has got past full-backs, kept possession, and has provided good end product which does include a few assists.

Everything is rosy then. Seems Fletcher has it right.
Good to see a default to factory settings when you can't reply to the actual post.

I'd have sacked him after the Wimbledon loss, I'm disappointed with the on pitch bigger picture too but I don't neccesarily think Macca and Baz out wide are, in isolation, bad footballing ideas. Is that ok with you? :roll:

Thank goodness we have James Brent in that case

Fletch seems to like players who can double up in positions and that's no bad idea. I like the similarities to David Norris, let's hope he comes up to half that potential.
Despite all this talk though about Macca we shouldn't forget Joe Lennox. He is a big talent himself and needs game time.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I can't see it myself, I think MacDonald is L1 standard if not now then in a years time after some regular first team football at that or this level in which case I think L1 clubs will come in for him, he may not have had much interest in the loan market however L1 clubs don't want to loan in a player who will potentially be L1 standard they will want to sign them permanantly and get the benefit from the player themselves.

I can only see MacDonald coming here if he gets no better offers and lets face it there are plenty of better alternatives right now compared to Argyle, I do believe somone mentioned he was thinking of bringing his family down but I'm sure this will again be a last resort as I'm sure he won't want to up-root them unless he really has to (that is if he is willing to do so, I only heard that on Pasoti which isn't the best for rumours :lol: ).

All in all, I would like to see it happen I think he is a good player but I am resinged to the fact that "first dibs" on any player are in no way Argyle's to claim.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Brian, whether that's thank goodness or not will be determined in time. Could be proved right, hopefully I'll be proved wrong. And yes, Lennox is a decent young player as well. Not amazing at the moment, needs fine tuning but could turn out good.