Permanent deal for Macca? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Permanent deal for Macca?

L

leelowndes27

His contract at Burnley is up at end of seaaon. He says he wants first team football and has consistently repeated how much he likes playing for Fletch, could we afford him? I'd love it to happen!!

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
It worries me that we're still playing him on the wing. Good strikers want to be played up front and scoring goals, and he's playing in an average League 2 midfield. Still he extended his loan so what do I know.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Family issues at the moment spending alot of time away from his daughter. Would a move this far away appeal to him as much as one further north?

B

bizzay1

Think I'm right in saying we tried to sign him this summer when his contract was up and couldn't reach agreement, so unless he has revised his wants downward - I doubt it

P

Paul_Roberts

ejh":3lz75drw said:
It worries me that we're still playing him on the wing. Good strikers want to be played up front and scoring goals, and he's playing in an average League 2 midfield. Still he extended his loan so what do I know.

Completely agree. He's wasted out on the wing, and I don't think he'd consider joining us permanently if he didn't have some sort of assurance that he'd be used as a striker.

I think he's finally accepted he doesn't have a future at Burnley so I reckon we've got a good chance of getting him if the price is right. As for the family issues, I'm sure I read somewhere recently that his wife and child were joining him in Plymouth this time?

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Eddie Howe strongly linked with a return to Bournemouth from Burnley for "personal reasons" - it wouldn't surprise me if it happened if he went after Macca on a permanent deal which would surely appeal to Macca - first team football, manager he knows and a League higher than Argyle.

Jul 29, 2010
Howe would inherit much better strikers than MacDonald if he went to Bournemouth, no offence to Macca but there's no chance of that happening.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
X Isle":2pmlz3g9 said:
Howe would inherit much better strikers than MacDonald if he went to Bournemouth, no offence to Macca but there's no chance of that happening.

Maybe....just 12 goals in 11 League games for the Cherries this season. :think:

Mar 10, 2011
Plymouth
macca has said he likes it down here, Think that he would consider moving his wife and daughter down here if he agrees it would be good for us, Best of luck to him :nworthy:

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I dunno if Macca would be so determined to play as a striker. He was played there a lot last season don't forget, and in this spell and signed for us again after each time. I'm not so sure he'd be better up front either. I don't think his finishing is all that great and I think his stamina, work rate and his passing/crossing product is what makes him a good League Two player out wide. And perhaps his family may choose to move down with him. He reminds me a bit of David Norris out wide, I think that could be where his future lies.

Jun 11, 2012
GreenSam":12p2m44s said:
I dunno if Macca would be so determined to play as a striker. He was played there a lot last season don't forget, and in this spell and signed for us again after each time. I'm not so sure he'd be better up front either. I don't think his finishing is all that great and I think his stamina, work rate and his passing/crossing product is what makes him a good League Two player out wide. And perhaps his family may choose to move down with him. He reminds me a bit of David Norris out wide, I think that could be where his future lies.
I do too. Considering the amount of strikers that there are already at the club, playing him out wide seems the obvious decision.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
HarlHM":29u9kt7i said:
GreenSam":29u9kt7i said:
I do too. Considering the amount of strikers that there are already at the club, playing him out wide seems the obvious decision.

Joe Lennox is a winger and provided two assists the other night. So we now drop him for someone who is a striker and has not provided many assists, if any this season? Why do we look to play players out of position just to give them a game. I have the same problem with Baz on the wing. I recall him setting up one goal this season while if he played in his natural position we would be stronger in defence.
There's more to it then direct assists though. There's off the ball work and on the ball work that can lead to other people getting assists and goals and similar work that makes sure we don't concede goals, on the break for example.

I think when Macca is good and fully match fit (which arguably he hasn't been) then he's an excellent winger. His stamina, energy and workrate would be very beneficial as part of a high pressing regime off the ball. He can run with the ball, he can pass, he can cross. Playing the right style and with the right type of striker to meet his service I think he's got the potential to be quality out wide. As I say, reminds me a lot of David Norris. He's good as a striker but I'm not convinced by what I've seen of his finishing that he'd be much of a poacher. He'd be at his best as a striker doing the Feeney role of running at and harrying defenders, again as part of a high line of pressing. MacDonald and Joe Lennox are entirely different types of players (see David Norris and Martin Phillips of old) but both can be effective out wide.

As for Baz, I think he's looked a little lukewarm at left-back of late. Certainly not as good as he can be. Since going left he's looked very sharp, has got past full-backs, kept possession, and has provided good end product which does include a few assists.

P

Paul_Roberts

HarlHM":1lap11my said:
GreenSam":1lap11my said:

Quantity doesn't mean quality.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
GreenSam":1sxpe631 said:
HarlHM":1sxpe631 said:
GreenSam":1sxpe631 said:

Joe Lennox is a winger and provided two assists the other night. So we now drop him for someone who is a striker and has not provided many assists, if any this season? Why do we look to play players out of position just to give them a game. I have the same problem with Baz on the wing. I recall him setting up one goal this season while if he played in his natural position we would be stronger in defence.
There's more to it then direct assists though. There's off the ball work and on the ball work that can lead to other people getting assists and goals and similar work that makes sure we don't concede goals, on the break for example.

I think when Macca is good and fully match fit (which arguably he hasn't been) then he's an excellent winger. His stamina, energy and workrate would be very beneficial as part of a high pressing regime off the ball. He can run with the ball, he can pass, he can cross. Playing the right style and with the right type of striker to meet his service I think he's got the potential to be quality out wide. As I say, reminds me a lot of David Norris. He's good as a striker but I'm not convinced by what I've seen of his finishing that he'd be much of a poacher. He'd be at his best as a striker doing the Feeney role of running at and harrying defenders, again as part of a high line of pressing. MacDonald and Joe Lennox are entirely different types of players (see David Norris and Martin Phillips of old) but both can be effective out wide.

As for Baz, I think he's looked a little lukewarm at left-back of late. Certainly not as good as he can be. Since going left he's looked very sharp, has got past full-backs, kept possession, and has provided good end product which does include a few assists.

Everything is rosy then. Seems Fletcher has it right.
Good to see a default to factory settings when you can't reply to the actual post.

I'd have sacked him after the Wimbledon loss, I'm disappointed with the on pitch bigger picture too but I don't neccesarily think Macca and Baz out wide are, in isolation, bad footballing ideas. Is that ok with you? :roll: