Pep Guardiola | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pep Guardiola

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I totally get the point that Man Utd were the richest team by far in the top flight when Fergie took them over, but he had earned his stripes and proven himself as a manager of some ability with his time at Aberdeen, and not forgetting that United were bloody rubbish when he took them over and he had to build a winning team (which took him a couple of seasons). Pep inherited a team which had already won Premier League titles under Mancini and Pellengrini ... in fact it can be argued that Pep has only taken charge of teams which were at the height of their ability, if you look at his record with Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

I'm not saying that Pep isn't a great coach - he clearly is - but one of the greatest of all time? I think he needs to do a bit more than win leagues and trophies with top teams. Old Big Head himself has a more impressive CV with Forest back in the early 80s, given their starting point and what they won (until the booze got a hold of him).

Reactions: olive green

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
He did a great job with St Mirren too, who were a much smaller club than Aberdeen. He won the First Division (2nd tier) with a squad whose average age was 20. Not a good enough job to avoid the sack though, their chairman claiming that he had "no managerial ability", which has not aged particularly well.

Reactions: Quinny
Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
Plenty of other teams have that luxury, how big is Chelsea's squad for instance? The difference is that City don't waste their money.
Can hardly waste their money when they can buy any player they want at any price. I am not sure on this point but isn't Chelsea's squad made up of far more youngsters brought up through the ranks?

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Can hardly waste their money when they can buy any player they want at any price. I am not sure on this point but isn't Chelsea's squad made up of far more youngsters brought up through the ranks?

No, they've spent just under £600 million on signings just this season - most of whom were first-teamers at their old clubs. It's a perfect illustration of how you absolutely can waste money - all that cash spent, and they're 12th in the league.

City actually have one of the smallest first-team squads in the division, and they've used fewer players than anyone else this season.

Oct 14, 2015
You can have as much money at your disposal and buy the best players around but there’s still no certainty that success is guaranteed. To much player power these days where players have basically stopped playing for the manager, Chelsea a prime example. In my opinion Pep possesses fantastic man-management skills, he’s knows how to handle big egos..

If man-management is the wrong phase to use I apologise to anyone offended by it 😁

Reactions: Cobi Budge
Aug 13, 2009
The football that City play, and Barcelona played, under him is sublime.
I struggle to think of two better 'footballing' teams in my life-time.
Yes, he's got the money but wait until he goes, you will then see what a great manager he was.
Just look at Utd after Fergie.

Reactions: Cobi Budge
Jul 24, 2016
I think you also have to look at the influence he has had on English football right down the pyramid. Many teams now adopting a style of play that is more pleasing on the eye and spectator friendly.

the last guy to come into English Football and change things was Arsenal Wenger, but Guardiola has taken it to another level.

Can only be good for the development of English players, the england team and the game.