Pep Guardiola | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pep Guardiola

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Will he be the greatest manager of all time if he wins the treble this season?

He may have spent money but you can’t deny that what he’s done in and for the game has been pretty extraordinary.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Would he be as successful if he was not bankrolled to his hearts desire

Man Citeh= money, money, money

PL is not a level playing field as shown by the big 6 & their previous shenanigans

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Countless managers have failed with oversized budgets, for example Chelsea have probably spent similar to what Man City have spent this season, if not more.

I also don’t understand the ‘would Guardiola have done it elsewhere/Guardiola needs to test himself thing’, why would he leave Man City to work for a lesser club, with a lesser budget, on a lesser salary, when he doesn’t have to? That’s like telling Gordon Ramsay that he needs to go and work for Nando’s.

Man City are doing what they’re doing at the moment because of Guardiola, not in spite of him.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie
Apr 16, 2016
I'm in very reluctant agreement that he is a top manager. When he came to City I thought so what - you've won the League with Bayern - who doesn't ? Yes lots of money, but what a record and he gets the very best out of players with a lot of competition for places. It can't be co-incidence that they just don't seem to have lazy players with big egos like other big European clubs. I think he senses hunger and intensity in players , like Fergie used to, and so avoids the Pogbas, Neymars etc.He develops players. I always liked Grealish but he is improving all the time. He just doesn't accept 3 good games and 1 slack. Berbatov always said the big difference at United after Spurs was that 80 good minutes was OK at Spurs but under Fergie you couldn't slack for 1 minute.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Far too much involved to claim he's the GOAT.

We'll never know because of that.

Reactions: ChurPev

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
According to the Sunday Times he does his match preparation on the opposition by ‘locking’ himself in his office and watching videos of games they have played for 10hours whilst listening to Oasis and burning incense. An example of his intensity perhaps? Wonder how Schuey does the same?

Jan 5, 2023
I think fans of most clubs would love to see their team playing football that way & agree with Unhinched, not every player is able to step up to the demands he places on them.
However the spectre of FFP/state ownership is always there.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Will he be the greatest manager of all time if he wins the treble this season?

He may have spent money but you can’t deny that what he’s done in and for the game has been pretty extraordinary.

How would this treble be better than Man Utd's treble in 98/99? And don't forget what Fergie won with Aberdeen before he joined United.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
How would this treble be better than Man Utd's treble in 98/99? And don't forget what Fergie won with Aberdeen before he joined United.

Just to be devil's advocate for a moment, and because I am a diehard lifelong ABU, the Man Utd team that won the treble in 1999 got 79 points, which would be nowhere near enough for a league title in the modern era - only eight away league wins all season. They won the league deservedly, but there are so many more strong teams at the top of the Premier League these days.

I do think Ferguson is the greatest manager to have worked in British football, though. As you say his achievements with Aberdeen were remarkable - is he still the most recent manager to have won the Scottish title with a non-Old Firm club? And his track record of playing entertaining, attacking football with United youth products at the heart of every team is so impressive.

Nov 18, 2011
Man U generally had the biggest budget around when Fergie was winning a lot, for example no other English club was able to buy Rio Ferdinand for £30 million in 2002. His achievements at Aberdeen IMO are even better as he got them really punching above their weight.

Guardiola is among the greats now as he's been able to refresh Man City's squad and keep them in contention for trophies. Many managers have been able to build a good team but not many have been able to refresh teams over time and keep them in contention.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
According to the Sunday Times he does his match preparation on the opposition by ‘locking’ himself in his office and watching videos of games they have played for 10hours whilst listening to Oasis and burning incense. An example of his intensity perhaps? Wonder how Schuey does the same?
He does but listens to the Janners song 😀😀