Paul Mariner as a head coach | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Paul Mariner as a head coach

Mar 7, 2009
GreenSam":3vb1hd4e said:
Dan Ellard":3vb1hd4e said:
Deacster":3vb1hd4e said:
Saracen10":3vb1hd4e said:
Steve Evans":3vb1hd4e said:
paul mariner was one of my all time favourite players. i almost ended up disliking him when he was here as manager. he was an absolute disaster with no tactical ability or contacts in the game to bring in decent players .he brought in a useless american who was recovering from injury and that was about it. a very painful period in our very recent very painful history. i am not surprised you are bottom of the league

...and he brought in Bhasera .......
Whos finally found his level after 2 relegations.

Clearly the Championship clubs who were interested in him don't share your view then!
And the three Premier League clubs who tried to sign him in the past 2 and a half years.

He was one of our best players in our league one season, and looked the best of a poor bunch in the 7 Championship games that he played. One of the few players we have who's above League 2 level imo.

Who are they then? I'd be very surprised if that was true.

Bhas is proving to be one of our better players at League 2 level, mind.

Aug 28, 2012
GreenSam":3oem6i5y said:
Dan Ellard":3oem6i5y said:
Deacster":3oem6i5y said:
Saracen10":3oem6i5y said:
Steve Evans":3oem6i5y said:
paul mariner was one of my all time favourite players. i almost ended up disliking him when he was here as manager. he was an absolute disaster with no tactical ability or contacts in the game to bring in decent players .he brought in a useless american who was recovering from injury and that was about it. a very painful period in our very recent very painful history. i am not surprised you are bottom of the league

Clearly the Championship clubs who were interested in him don't share your view then!

And the three Premier League clubs who tried to sign him in the past 2 and a half years.

He was one of our best players in our league one season, and looked the best of a poor bunch in the 7 Championship games that he played. One of the few players we have who's above League 2 level imo.

Take it from me - if a premier league club wanted him they would have him. Maybe enquiries at best but clearly no offers of any substance.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
pilgrim_pete":9ulvyviu said:
GreenSam":9ulvyviu said:
Dan Ellard":9ulvyviu said:
Deacster":9ulvyviu said:
Saracen10":9ulvyviu said:
Steve Evans":9ulvyviu said:

Pompey when they were in the PL tried to sign him but couldn't get a work permit http://nehandaradio.com/2011/01/26/bid- ... it-doubts/

Then of course there was the "will he won't he" sign for Blackpool thing when they were in the PL in January 2011 but he reportedly failed a medical http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/BHASERA-TA ... story.html . This article doesn't specifically mention a medical but it was reported at the time and we all knew they were interested in signing him.

The third is a little ambiguous, as it's QPR who reportedly bid for him. However when googling the dates it turns out that they were in the Championship at that time. My apologies. Still, if it is true then they were assembling a squad that would go on to win the title. Add the bid from Palace too, when Reda Johnson was quoted as telling fans on facebook that he and Oni would go to Palace together. Obviously didn't happen but again it looks like there was an interest.

So two Premier League bids which imo we can be certain of, two bids from the Championship, one which I think can be considered to have solid authenticity. The QPR story could just be media stories, it could not but they were certainly interested in him when Paul Hart was their manager http://qprreport.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01 ... rford.html .

So 2 Championship clubs and two PL clubs. I suppose you can never *prove* he's higher than the standard of this level as that's a matter for the naked eye, but that in addition to my view that he was amongst the best of the bunch in our Championship side, and a League One side who we all pretty much agree would have done a lot better in that league in better circumstances is why I think so.

Saracen10- there are my two examples. Pompey move before he came to us broke down due to red tape, Blackpool move due to fitness.

Edit http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk ... p?a=186744 Interest from Wednesday when they were in CCC too, again broken down by red tape.

Aug 22, 2006
I'm greatful that Baz hasn't left us yet but hopefully he can stay a tad more consistent for us because he should be blowing this league apart!

Mar 2, 2008
GreenSam":1nulav7u said:
pilgrim_pete":1nulav7u said:
GreenSam":1nulav7u said:
Dan Ellard":1nulav7u said:
Deacster":1nulav7u said:
Saracen10":1nulav7u said:
Steve Evans":1nulav7u said:

Pompey when they were in the PL tried to sign him but couldn't get a work permit http://nehandaradio.com/2011/01/26/bid- ... it-doubts/

Then of course there was the "will he won't he" sign for Blackpool thing when they were in the PL in January 2011 but he reportedly failed a medical http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/BHASERA-TA ... story.html . This article doesn't specifically mention a medical but it was reported at the time and we all knew they were interested in signing him.

The third is a little ambiguous, as it's QPR who reportedly bid for him. However when googling the dates it turns out that they were in the Championship at that time. My apologies. Still, if it is true then they were assembling a squad that would go on to win the title. Add the bid from Palace too, when Reda Johnson was quoted as telling fans on facebook that he and Oni would go to Palace together. Obviously didn't happen but again it looks like there was an interest.

So two Premier League bids which imo we can be certain of, two bids from the Championship, one which I think can be considered to have solid authenticity. The QPR story could just be media stories, it could not but they were certainly interested in him when Paul Hart was their manager http://qprreport.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01 ... rford.html .

So 2 Championship clubs and two PL clubs. I suppose you can never *prove* he's higher than the standard of this level as that's a matter for the naked eye, but that in addition to my view that he was amongst the best of the bunch in our Championship side, and a League One side who we all pretty much agree would have done a lot better in that league in better circumstances is why I think so.

Saracen10- there are my two examples. Pompey move before he came to us broke down due to red tape, Blackpool move due to fitness.

Edit http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk ... p?a=186744 Interest from Wednesday when they were in CCC too, again broken down by red tape.

Busy at Uni Sam? :D

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
pilgrim_pete":3hj4m243 said:
If any of the aforementioned clubs wanted him, they could have had him. No doubt.
I disagree, it wasn't lack of spending power that stopped them it was extenous variables.

For Wednesday, QPR and Pompey it was red tape. For Blackpool it was injuries. No matter how much wealthier they are than us they can't account for that. We were the first club to offer Bhasera a deal once he won the appeal on his refused work permit. I suppose you could say that if they REALLY badly wanted him they could have trumped our offer, that'd be a fair point. But they still all made attempts to sign him at one point. Blackpool he failed his medical, again no accounting for that.

Palace is the only one where your point may be correct imo. But then maybe they did want him but thought they'd been outbid by Blackpool perhaps. The original alleged bid was in August 2010 when we were paying our staff on time, managed by Todd who was convinced all would be ok and perhaps didn't feel the need to sell. Even if Palace didn't really ever want him, a lot of clubs did. I don't think it's that bigger clubs didn't want him, I think it's bad luck on Bhasera's part through factors he couldn't control.

PlymptonP- got an afternoon lecture now, gotta dash :lol: And trust me it doesn't take meticulous research, I just googled what I could remember of the stories and there it all was.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Plympton Pong":2j898nlc said:
Cult Of Personality":2j898nlc said:
Plympton Pong":2j898nlc said:
Cult Of Personality":2j898nlc said:
Shocking your fans need to get this fool out of your club

Trapdoor":2j898nlc said:
PM had no man management skills !! it was the best thing pafc did letting him go, he was a good player but certainly No Manager.
The best thing your team could do would be to get rid of him but like a Bad penny he probably would turn up somewhere else.
No respect for the man at all.

Hang on a minute, I think both of you need to put a sock in it.
He might have lacked on the managerial front, but this is one of the clubs greatest ever players you are talking about.
I don't think he deserves to be called a fool, or given a lack of respect.

Never saw him play so no legend in my eyes

Haha what a poor riposte.

What did you make of Pele then?
Pele was garbage !!!! I mean Mexico WC and he had an open goal against England and all he could do was head it onto the goalies hand. (Banksy or something wasn't it ??????) Should have scored - useless - even our Rory would have buried that. :lol: :lol:

As for PM - well he was something special as a player :nworthy: - him and Billy R were dreaded by defences :nworthy: - it was a dream team :nworthy: and as I've said before PM was the reason the great Sir Bobby Moore :nworthy: :nworthy: was sub'd off at HP on a Boxing Day because PM had ran him ragged (HT 4-0)

Feb 28, 2010
Mannamead
Mariner was thrown into the deep end and did no worse than Reid or Sturrock (2nd time round)
Mariner took over a despondent team with in hindsight a chaotic crumbling ownership
I think with time as a number 2 he could have proved good and his enthusiasm and commitment were clear to see
I hope he gets a fair chance in his current position

And let it not be forgotten he remains our best player by a country mile. Legend

Sep 26, 2012
keepthefaith70":2b9jbcjb said:
Mariner was thrown into the deep end and did no worse than Reid or Sturrock (2nd time round)
Mariner took over a despondent team with in hindsight a chaotic crumbling ownership
I think with time as a number 2 he could have proved good and his enthusiasm and commitment were clear to see
I hope he gets a fair chance in his current position

And let it not be forgotten he remains our best player by a country mile. Legend

He did assist Steve Nicol in New England for 4 years... or did you mean more time at Argyle ?

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Just ignore TOBOR he lives in Toronto and they think anyone in the sports business in that city are the greatest. :funny:

Sep 26, 2012
Ottawa Green":2x65ibjt said:
Just ignore TOBOR he lives in Toronto and they think anyone in the sports business in that city are the greatest. :funny:

...not at all. Look at the collective records of MLSE operated teams.

The only bright spot TFC has is it's supporters will work to force management to do something (unlike their big brothers).

BTW, looking forward to seeing an Ottawa side in the NASL in 2014 - you'll have your chance to knock us out of the CCL !

Mar 23, 2008
GreenSam":2yfq4ckp said:
Dan Ellard":2yfq4ckp said:
Deacster":2yfq4ckp said:
Saracen10":2yfq4ckp said:
Steve Evans":2yfq4ckp said:

All conjecture, the fact is he is playing in league 2 for a reason. I like Baz but thought he struggled in the Championship, looked ok in league 1 and is excelling in league 2.