Paul Mariner as a head coach | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Paul Mariner as a head coach

T

Trapdoor

Mazda - Plympton Pong you don't know half of what the man was capable of !! I have no more to say on the subject .

Aug 28, 2012
Steve Evans":29k1h72a said:
paul mariner was one of my all time favourite players. i almost ended up disliking him when he was here as manager. he was an absolute disaster with no tactical ability or contacts in the game to bring in decent players .he brought in a useless american who was recovering from injury and that was about it. a very painful period in our very recent very painful history. i am not surprised you are bottom of the league

...and he brought in Bhasera .......

Aug 10, 2006
MAZZA26":x73478y0 said:
PlymouthLoyal":x73478y0 said:
Not manager material from what i witnessed, but he wasnt exactly given the greatest of chances we were practically doomed anyway ...

Not even remotely doomed. With our large injury list on the mend I felt the timing was wrong - either he should have went before the start of the season or not at all, OR at the very least replaced with someone who was experienced....Also note that Ipswich stayed up having kept faith with Roy Keane (who spent 3-4 times the amount sturrock did btw.) Oh and you see that team that was 6th from bottom beginning with R, well they were managed by B.Rodgers (manager of Liverpool) who was sacked just weeks after Sturrock.

Reading 20 5 5 10 -10 20
Coventry 20 4 7 9 -10 19
Sheff W 20 4 6 10 -9 18
Ipswich 20 2 12 6 -10 18
Plymouth 19 4 3 12 -14 15
Peterb'h 20 2 8 10 -10 14

Mariner wasn't awful but he was certainly below average. The positives - he did manage to do what sturrock couldn't - turn around a 2 goal deficit, away to Barnsley when Rory Fallon had one of his better days. However the players he brought in the transfer window were inadequate and very questionable to say the least. While D.Johnson was a very competent defensive midfielder at premier league level, he was not what we needed at a time when creativity was devoid (especially with the money spent.) As for Bradley Cooper... deary me, don't get x-isle started on that one. :greensmile: So overall he didn't do well Mariner which was a shame for such a great player. That's why i'm sure Sturrock in the transfer window which was coming up would have done better as proved with his previous summer signings. Obviously the summer before that was a poor one for the Scot.
we were 1 down at barnsley mazza the best thing i saw mariner do as a manager was bring on bolasie who turned the game that day he ripped them apart down the left handside a great goal from fallon also. I was screaming at the ref to blow the whistle because i had my 3-1 win bet at 40 to 1 and d.johnson hit the bar and there were 4 minutes added time never mind we won in the end.The worse thing i saw mariner do as a manager was not start with bolasie at home to swansea on the tuesday.

Mar 23, 2008
Saracen10":20jyrwkd said:
Steve Evans":20jyrwkd said:
paul mariner was one of my all time favourite players. i almost ended up disliking him when he was here as manager. he was an absolute disaster with no tactical ability or contacts in the game to bring in decent players .he brought in a useless american who was recovering from injury and that was about it. a very painful period in our very recent very painful history. i am not surprised you are bottom of the league

Whos finally found his level after 2 relegations.

Mar 2, 2008
Cult Of Personality":9mwfvy07 said:
Plympton Pong":9mwfvy07 said:
Cult Of Personality":9mwfvy07 said:
Shocking your fans need to get this fool out of your club

Trapdoor":9mwfvy07 said:
PM had no man management skills !! it was the best thing pafc did letting him go, he was a good player but certainly No Manager.
The best thing your team could do would be to get rid of him but like a Bad penny he probably would turn up somewhere else.
No respect for the man at all.

Hang on a minute, I think both of you need to put a sock in it.
He might have lacked on the managerial front, but this is one of the clubs greatest ever players you are talking about.
I don't think he deserves to be called a fool, or given a lack of respect.

Never saw him play so no legend in my eyes

Haha what a poor riposte.

What did you make of Pele then?

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
TOBOR THE GREAT":2q57ict6 said:
He took over from Aron Winter in June
Wondered whatever happened to him. Ex Lazio, Inter and Dutch international. Fantastic player. Guess they don't always make great managers then?

Jul 29, 2010
Utter, unparalleled and unmitigated ineptitude.

..........and that's me being kind to him.

Aug 2, 2011
Unfortunately many organisations assume that the best salesman make a good manager. The skills required are very different but time after time organisations fall into the same trap. Mariner may have been a class player been he was not a class manager.

Sep 26, 2012
Ghost":2a8g7ynb said:
TOBOR THE GREAT":2a8g7ynb said:
He took over from Aron Winter in June
Wondered whatever happened to him. Ex Lazio, Inter and Dutch international. Fantastic player. Guess they don't always make great managers then?

I think he would've done well, given the chance.

MLS is a tricky animal. There are salary caps and international rules that prevent you from going after just 'anybody'. You need to be able to work within certain parameters.

Winter was 18 months into overhauling the club culture and style of play. There was promise shown at the start of this season, but results were hard to come by.

All of us here are convinced that with Mariner chirping in upper management's ear about how he could do a much better job, Winter's contract was ended. There's obviously been a non-disclosure agreement signed as well, as Aron hasn't said a word. Not even a press conference.

I sincerely hope he turns up somewhere and is given a decent chance.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Saracen10":37v15w1u said:
Steve Evans":37v15w1u said:

hello saracen. i was reminded of this after my post .bhasera is a good player at our current level.

Jul 1, 2006
Super player P M. Not successful as a manager / coach, but will always be remembered in this neck of the woods - for taking Argyle to victory over Ipswich. A great night for the greens who were at Portman Road that night.

Aug 28, 2012
Steve Evans":39hoafv7 said:
Saracen10":39hoafv7 said:
Steve Evans":39hoafv7 said:

hello saracen. i was reminded of this after my post .bhasera is a good player at our current level.

Fair comment Steve - agreed this seems to be his level although other posters are building him up for a January sale .... so maybe they think League 1, even championship. For my money this is his level and no higher

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Deacster":1j5cmpbk said:
Saracen10":1j5cmpbk said:
Steve Evans":1j5cmpbk said:

Clearly the Championship clubs who were interested in him don't share your view then!

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
As for Mariner, a very passionate coach but sadly had no ideas at all tactically or in the transfer market. Cooper and Johnson were good players, but we didn't need another defensive minded centre mid and our hoofball style didn't suit Cooper one bit.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":25j4dpfg said:
Deacster":25j4dpfg said:
Saracen10":25j4dpfg said:
Steve Evans":25j4dpfg said:

Clearly the Championship clubs who were interested in him don't share your view then!
And the three Premier League clubs who tried to sign him in the past 2 and a half years.

He was one of our best players in our league one season, and looked the best of a poor bunch in the 7 Championship games that he played. One of the few players we have who's above League 2 level imo.