Paul Mariner as a head coach | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Paul Mariner as a head coach

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Just browsing Twitter and very surprised by what I came across:

@mlsrumors
Advice to Paul Mariner: Regardless of what they said to you, making threats to get in a fight at the gate is a new low. Beyond the pale.

@RobDitta
Mariner was implying that he wanted to fight a fan few rows in front of me and my friends at the gates lol it was hilarious

Well I guess things could be worse at Argyle, we haven't had any manager/fan ruckuses yet (although that could be down to the removal of the Mayflower terrace).

Mar 2, 2008
GreenSam":1p4y015s said:
Just browsing Twitter and very surprised by what I came across:

@mlsrumors
Advice to Paul Mariner: Regardless of what they said to you, making threats to get in a fight at the gate is a new low. Beyond the pale.

@RobDitta
Mariner was implying that he wanted to fight a fan few rows in front of me and my friends at the gates lol it was hilarious

Well I guess things could be worse at Argyle, we haven't had any manager/fan ruckuses yet (although that could be down to the removal of the Mayflower terrace).

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthrea ... -TSN/page4

Sep 26, 2012
Dark days indeed.

This begins to show you what's been going on during PM's tenure at TFC.

Initially brought in to work with Aron Winter, he pretty much interfered with much of what the Dutchman was trying to accomplish.

Since replacing him all he's done is to go about undoing any progress made over the previous 18 months.

Much of what has been said in this thread about his managerial accumen is on full view right now in Toronto.

Even going so far as to calling this fellow "The best finisher of the modern era" (you're forgiven if you've never heard of him).

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
TOBOR THE GREAT":z0qcbbup said:
Dark days indeed.

This begins to show you what's been going on during PM's tenure at TFC.

Initially brought in to work with Aron Winter, he pretty much interfered with much of what the Dutchman was trying to accomplish.

Since replacing him all he's done is to go about undoing any progress made over the previous 18 months.

Much of what has been said in this thread about his managerial accumen is on full view right now in Toronto.

Even going so far as to calling this fellow "The best finisher of the modern era" (you're forgiven if you've never heard of him).
Pretty much affirms it then for Mariner- was a great player, possibly a decent number 2 in the right circumstances, not a manager.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
I think he was brought in at the wrong time, for the wrong reasons and put in the wrong job. He might have been useful as a coach but should not have been put in charge of the first team.

Trapdoor":3g2vn2po said:
PM had no man management skills !! it was the best thing pafc did letting him go, he was a good player but certainly No Manager.
The best thing your team could do would be to get rid of him but like a Bad penny he probably would turn up somewhere else.
No respect for the man at all.

That's obvious from your description of an Argyle legend as merely "a good player". Mariner may not have had what it takes as a manager, but as a player, he was one of the greatest ever to wear the green shirt.