Overall feeling in visiting Bury Fans | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Overall feeling in visiting Bury Fans

• Thread starter desperateshaker
  • Start date
Aug 5, 2015
Maybe they were fed up with the constant references to Bury on Sea which you still get everywhere. It was funny once but starting to wear now. No excuse though.

Matts 19

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 19, 2019
When I come down for the Oldham game I was treated great by everybody I met

As a few have already said there will always be a couple of idiots who play up. That can't be helped

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Jeeezus..... I feel quite ashamed to hear that. My brain tells me that every club everywhere has to suffer its own d1ckheads...... but it still hurts to hear such kn0bs who masquerade as Argyle fans behave like that. To think they even made the effort to approach you :facepalm: .... The thing is there is a small hardcore who travel who think of themselves as 'uber' fans and despise mere mortals with lives and brain cells. I guarantee 99.99% of real Argyle fans have have nothing but sympathy for Bury and respect for fans like you.

Sep 6, 2006
So there were 1000 Argyle there and it appears 2(or 3) pond life encountered? Hardly representative. Dont worry about it though it must have been annoying. Of course you are welcome.

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
desperateshaker":ewj5ud0f said:
Could i ask what is the overall feeling of Bury fans visiting the odd game in the North West

We came to your first game of the season and your words support was overwhelmingly emotional

Today a few of us attended baring in mind we are football fans with no club, we don't watch moneyball on TV and thought we would once again show our support

Although the majority of your support made us welcome and stopped to speak, listened to what was now going on with Bury and offered their condolences we also experience alot of anamositiy towards us, and would like to know why the sudden change of heart

We had a support aggressively confront us outside the ground (fat bald green coat hello to you sir, such a delight)
telling us that he wouldnt follow ex Argyle players around the country, and we shouldn't be here,

maybe not but he hasn't had his team taken from him, he took exception when a member of Argyle staff hugged a Bury fan who he obviously knew outside of football, he seemed outraged that the Bury lad missed home, surely if he'd been made redundant and left to work miles from home, regardless of the hard work put in, surely he'd miss his family?

We had a Supporter tell a steward we shouldn't be in this end and a female fan abused at half time

The majority of your support have been and always are phenomenal but I'm just perplexed at why the census has seemed to change,

This isn't a post to cause problems but just to understand why some have such animosity at other football fans coming to watch a game,

To the fan that told me you shouldn't be here, you was with what seemed to be your son? I was with my father and uncle, out time as a family has been wripped apart, I hope your bond and hobby with your family Doesnt get taken away from you

Once again all the best for the season to such a wonderful set of supporters, I'm sure you will go up this season
Hi, you seem to be asking for a “why is this happening?”. I was there today and saw it. I don’t think that it’s your fault, or anything that you are doing. You are very welcome to come and join us as far as 99% of us are concerned. Our hearts go out to you, as we went through the trauma of nearly having it done to us and it was horrible enough even though we were pulled back from the brink. I may be wrong, but I think that the problem is with RL. Every manager we have previously had in my time following Argyle has been Our Manager, and some of us demand 100% loyalty from our manager. What some people may be feeling is that Our Manager loves another team more than us. He played in your fund raiser match which some may see as a distraction from the commitment to us. The timing for today was not good. RL gave an interview saying that the Exeter match was “Just another match” and then went and lost it 4-0, the biggest defeat against a team we really don’t like since the 1920s. Some fans may think that is because he does not get us, he is not yet Our Manager; and the reason is, he is still your manger. Therefore, the quicker that you disappear off the scene the better (for that 1% who think that way). Think of it that you start a new relationship with a new partner, and he/she disappears off to see his/her ex-wife/husband and the step-kids every so often. Not a perfect analogy, but along those lines. Football is tribal and some fans have one club and one club only. Anyone coming in to that club must, for them, have the same commitment; and so far it appears that RL does not. Hence, some anti-feeling towards you. For what it’s worth, that’s my take on what you experienced today. Sorry that it happened.

Sep 6, 2006
Southampton Green":8f16ttda said:
desperateshaker":8f16ttda said:
Could i ask what is the overall feeling of Bury fans visiting the odd game in the North West

We came to your first game of the season and your words support was overwhelmingly emotional

Today a few of us attended baring in mind we are football fans with no club, we don't watch moneyball on TV and thought we would once again show our support

Although the majority of your support made us welcome and stopped to speak, listened to what was now going on with Bury and offered their condolences we also experience alot of anamositiy towards us, and would like to know why the sudden change of heart

We had a support aggressively confront us outside the ground (fat bald green coat hello to you sir, such a delight)
telling us that he wouldnt follow ex Argyle players around the country, and we shouldn't be here,

maybe not but he hasn't had his team taken from him, he took exception when a member of Argyle staff hugged a Bury fan who he obviously knew outside of football, he seemed outraged that the Bury lad missed home, surely if he'd been made redundant and left to work miles from home, regardless of the hard work put in, surely he'd miss his family?

We had a Supporter tell a steward we shouldn't be in this end and a female fan abused at half time

The majority of your support have been and always are phenomenal but I'm just perplexed at why the census has seemed to change,

This isn't a post to cause problems but just to understand why some have such animosity at other football fans coming to watch a game,

To the fan that told me you shouldn't be here, you was with what seemed to be your son? I was with my father and uncle, out time as a family has been wripped apart, I hope your bond and hobby with your family Doesnt get taken away from you

Once again all the best for the season to such a wonderful set of supporters, I'm sure you will go up this season
Hi, you seem to be asking for a “why is this happening?”. I was there today and saw it. I don’t think that it’s your fault, or anything that you are doing. You are very welcome to come and join us as far as 99% of us are concerned. Our hearts go out to you, as we went through the trauma of nearly having it done to us and it was horrible enough even though we were pulled back from the brink. I may be wrong, but I think that the problem is with RL. Every manager we have previously had in my time following Argyle has been Our Manager, and some of us demand 100% loyalty from our manager. What some people may be feeling is that Our Manager loves another team more than us. He played in your fund raiser match which some may see as a distraction from the commitment to us. The timing for today was not good. RL gave an interview saying that the Exeter match was “Just another match” and then went and lost it 4-0, the biggest defeat against a team we really don’t like since the 1920s. Some fans may think that is because he does not get us, he is not yet Our Manager; and the reason is, he is still your manager. Therefore, the quicker that you disappear off the scene the better (for that 1% who think that way). Think of it that you start a new relationship with a new partner, and he/she disappears off to see his/her ex-wife/husband and the step-kids every so often. Not a perfect analogy, but along those lines. Football is tribal and some fans have one club and one club only. Anyone coming in to that club must, for them, have the same commitment; and so far it appears that RL does not. Hence, some anti-feeling towards you. For what it’s worth, that’s my take on what you experienced today. Sorry that it happened.

What a load of nonsense. No point tyring to explain that behaviour.

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Balham_Green":2gsrxswv said:
Southampton Green":2gsrxswv said:
desperateshaker":2gsrxswv said:

Hi, you seem to be asking for a “why is this happening?”. I was there today and saw it. I don’t think that it’s your fault, or anything that you are doing. You are very welcome to come and join us as far as 99% of us are concerned. Our hearts go out to you, as we went through the trauma of nearly having it done to us and it was horrible enough even though we were pulled back from the brink. I may be wrong, but I think that the problem is with RL. Every manager we have previously had in my time following Argyle has been Our Manager, and some of us demand 100% loyalty from our manager. What some people may be feeling is that Our Manager loves another team more than us. He played in your fund raiser match which some may see as a distraction from the commitment to us. The timing for today was not good. RL gave an interview saying that the Exeter match was “Just another match” and then went and lost it 4-0, the biggest defeat against a team we really don’t like since the 1920s. Some fans may think that is because he does not get us, he is not yet Our Manager; and the reason is, he is still your manager. Therefore, the quicker that you disappear off the scene the better (for that 1% who think that way). Think of it that you start a new relationship with a new partner, and he/she disappears off to see his/her ex-wife/husband and the step-kids every so often. Not a perfect analogy, but along those lines. Football is tribal and some fans have one club and one club only. Anyone coming in to that club must, for them, have the same commitment; and so far it appears that RL does not. Hence, some anti-feeling towards you. For what it’s worth, that’s my take on what you experienced today. Sorry that it happened.

What a load of nonsense. No point tyring to explain that behaviour.
He asked and I gave my opinion. This is a forum for discussion.

Apr 30, 2011
What is wrong with some people. I bet they didnt behave like that when we were in the poo financially and held a Fans United day at HP, which was supported by fans from all over the country.

Short of it being a Bristol or Devon club shirt, I would welcome support from any other club, let alone fans of a club who have just folded and who we have taken several players from.

D

desperateshaker

Cheers for the thoughts guys,

Again I'm not for one moment pointing out your 1%, jesus we had more than our fair share of plant pots at Gigg, and like many have said it sadly comes with the territory in Football.

We just left a little bemused and wondering why, after such a good welcome the last time, since we had gone has the love died

I was interested to hear the views of some disgruntled fans, not for an apology far from it, mainly in hope that our plight hadnt already been forgotten.

The comments that it's sad and pathetic to travel the country to watch ex players was just idiotic, and I feel he realised as soon as he said it,

No offense but Im sure you all know, the last place we want to be is at BWFC in the away end which is full and bouncing yet its not with Bury, it's truly torturous, we spend most Saturdays now in the local pub next to Gigg trying to help local business stay afloat due to the loss of trade, we sit and watch re-runs of the old games.
We have lost our passion for other games, we've chosen to go to one or two Plymouth games if they are close by because of what those players did for us whilst not being paid, plus we have friendships that go back with your backroom staff since I was 7 years old. We go and watch the match to spend time lost with our family doing what we have done for 30+ years, but once that whistle blows its the start of 90mins of jelousy and sat thinking why!?

I completely understand some views though, although doesn't excuse their behaviour, I get it to an extent with "Bury tag"

You want your players and manager to be banging your drum not somebody else's, I totally get that,, but I think Lowes allegence to us, maybe a way of highlighting to his new club of what a job he did, don't forget it was his first job and only has that on his CV to show for, maybe if we had such a bond he is highlighting that with a hope of showing you guys what he has done and what you can achieve together, given time?

I wouldn't worry about the loyalty as Lowe is a winner and although maybe your not where you wan tto be in the table, but looking at your squad and what we have seen in small doses, I believe you'll get promotion this season.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
You are welcome at any time, I can`t imagine the feelings that must come from having the club you have loved and supported all your life no longer being there. We came so, so close but nearly can`t prepare for it actually happening. I hope that next year you will have a team in some level of the pyramid.

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
For me, Bury fans are more than welcome to join the Green Army at any of our games.
I spoke with you at half time yesterday and hope that sentiment was obvious.
We appreciate loyalty to our club and delight in former players acknowledging the fans, as Remi Matthews did yesterday , so it does seem hypocritical and unreasonable expect our Bury contingent not to show their affiliation to their former club.
You mentioned that Macclesfield is the next game you had pencilled in to attend; I sincerely hope yesterday’s encounters with the dregs of our support hasn’t put you off from joining the vast majority who are happy to see you at our games.

Apr 5, 2008
You must have been wearing your Bury colours,but would have though Argyle fans would be coming up to you and offer their sincere sadness at your plight ,rather than abusing you.

We really do have some bells amongst us.
Seen it first hand plenty of times,wish they go support ,if that's the word someone else.

Apr 29, 2010
I was put off going to away matches circa 2007/08. I lived in Liverpool at the time and travelled to the localish games at the time (PNE, Blackpool, Burnley, West Brom, Wolves, Birmingham, Derby, Forest, Sheff Wed, Stoke) the standard of "fan" at the time was at best knuckledragging. it was almost as though if you weren't part of their little clique you had to prove your Argyleness. so aside from the odd derby it's been Home matches only for me since.

May 29, 2011
Bristol
At the Port Vale away game I sat next to Ryan Lowe's wife and son. I felt really embarrassed by the large number of morons in front of us. The young lad had to move to be able to see because of the attention seeking prats who moved in front of us (and kept looking around to see if they were being noticed). There were also some players' family behind us and I just felt that everyone was a bit bemused by the sheer idiocy of a significant proportion of the away following. Really embarrassing.

I'd like to reassure the OP that this element is a minority but sadly it's a significant, vocal minority that appears to be growing in number.

Mar 23, 2008
desperateshaker":24klhi66 said:

So sorry to hear that, each side has their portion of morons and we clearly do. You are very welcome and all genuine Argyle fans wish you well for your re-birth.