Oppenheimer | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Oppenheimer

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I agree. Not usually my sort of film, but I’m a big fan of Christopher Nolan’s work so decided to see it on the IMAX on Saturday night. I thought it was excellent. 3 hours is a long shift, but it didn’t feel too long. Cillian Murphy’s performance was brilliant but a lot of great supporting performances, in particular from Robert Downey Jnr, Emily Blunt, Alden Ehrenreich and Jason Clarke. Some of Nolan’s best work in my opinion. Certainly worthy of the hype.

Jul 6, 2005
Saw the film on Monday and it was excellent.

Oppenheimer's story is fascinating, particularly when he got caught up in the Communist paranoia that swept much of the USA in the late 40's and early 50's.

He left his mark on history like few others have and was a great man but like all great men, he was flawed.

Nolan brilliantly portrays the moral dilemma that affected Oppenheimer and many of his colleagues.

This was my first experience of IMAX and if left my ears ringing a bit.

As an aside, my wife and I have been to the Cinema many times over the years but that's the first time we went our separate ways in the foyer; for some reason, she preferred Barbie.

• Haha
Reactions: AdelaideGreen

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Oppenheimer is a brilliant film with an amazing cast. I highly recommend it!

Sep 28, 2022
I saw the film recently and thought it a worthy film. It's nice to see a film not judged on its special effects. It was also an "adult" type of film with very good performances all round. In my humble opinion I wouldn't regard it as "an all time great" film. Obviously a massively important subject, it held my attention throughout but in a strangely unemotional way. Requiem for a Dream, now there is an all time great film, once again obviously in my humble opinion.

Jul 29, 2010
We both thoroughly enjoyed Barbie though Dave ;) .
Really?

Mrs X and I both agreed that if we wanted a lecture (patriachy is bad apparently, who knew?) we'd have gone to a university.

All the funny/nostalgic stuff (we have two daughters) was in the trailer. We were sold a pup with that one 👎🏻

Oppenheimer though was sold correctly, we knew she'd dislike it (too long, too talkie) so I saw it alone, very good 👍

Reactions: bodspafc
Sep 28, 2022
As I said said earlier Oppenheimer is a thoroughly worthy fim but to me not a great. Will somebody please watch Requiem for a Dream which is available on Itv X. That is a great powerful film with superb performances all round but especially Ellen Burstyn. Hopefully the advert breaks won't spoil it. But please please watch and put your thoughts on here. The film was released in 2000 and as sadly never received the acknowledgement that it so richly deserves.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Really?

Mrs X and I both agreed that if we wanted a lecture (patriachy is bad apparently, who knew?) we'd have gone to a university.

All the funny/nostalgic stuff (we have two daughters) was in the trailer. We were sold a pup with that one 👎🏻

Oppenheimer though was sold correctly, we knew she'd dislike it (too long, too talkie) so I saw it alone, very good 👍
No, not really X .... I categorically deny having any tryst with Dave's wife (or any other compromising position) so actually haven't seen it. My 17 year old daughter thought it was ok but seemed underwhelmed by it. Don't fancy it much but might give Oppenheimer a go.

Reactions: X Isle

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Oppenheimer was very good with some top notch performances, but feel it would have been better as a mini-series. Several obvious chapters of his story, some of which I don’t think were well served by the different timelines in the film.