My only wish for next season is.......... | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

My only wish for next season is..........

Mar 23, 2008
Needs to be a balance between style and substance. I like the fact we now have some real steel and characters and if we can add some flair it would be a good mix.

Dec 28, 2010
Pilgrim":26cx9l02 said:
It goes without saying. We all want good, attractive football, but playing good, attractive football is quite difficult in league 2. I'd take a Sturrock style promotion, to get us out of this division, over attractive football anyday.

Couldnt have said it any better myself

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Greenpafcpete":13r1i2uo said:
Pilgrim":13r1i2uo said:
It goes without saying. We all want good, attractive football, but playing good, attractive football is quite difficult in league 2. I'd take a Sturrock style promotion, to get us out of this division, over attractive football anyday.

at the end of the day winning football is quite attractive per se!! :scarf:

J

just_ste

Greenpafcpete":39fldo0z said:
Pilgrim":39fldo0z said:

I wonder how many supporters of other teams would share that view,perhaps we are happy with poo football down here,I find it odd that most people seem to be happy for us to win even if ya bored outta ya mind with the style of play,each to their own though :scarf:

G

Greenskin

Thinking about it,when was the last Argyle promotion team that played really attractive football as well? Sturrocks first team wasn't that pretty to watch,although it did evolve into a side reasonably easy on the eye when winning the league 1 title in 2004.Warnock's team certainly wasn't attractive,Smithy's team was great to watch but not really in the classical "play through midfield" way.Probably Waiters team was the last one to combine style and substance to the optimum effect.Having said that,i'd settle for 46 1-0 wins next year. :thumbup:

Jul 6, 2011
Greenskin":272q6524 said:
Thinking about it,when was the last Argyle promotion team that played really attractive football as well? Sturrocks first team wasn't that pretty to watch,although it did evolve into a side reasonably easy on the eye when winning the league 1 title in 2004.Warnock's team certainly wasn't attractive,Smithy's team was great to watch but not really in the classical "play through midfield" way.Probably Waiters team was the last one to combine style and substance to the optimum effect.Having said that,i'd settle for 46 1-0 wins next year. :thumbup:

Don't know if my old heart could take that, especially after monday :sick:

Give me route one any day - 3 macca's up the front would do me just about fine

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Back to the old Sturrock MK1 days, Wotton and Cocko play long balls into the corners, Keith chases them down for 90 minutes. Wins a corner, corner comes in.. Wotton and Cocko score! Simples!

I would love to see the passing style played that Ried tried at the start of the season, however, that can only be achieved if you have the players to do it successfully. Sadly, in August we didnt, i still dont think we do now.

To play that way will take a considerable amount of training and squad overhaul. That mentality/ability would have to be evident in all areas of the pitch, from Gk through the CBs and not just MF and CF. I cant see our current back 5 having the ability/deftness of touch to play like Barcelona or even Swansea. (two teams you would never have thought could have been in the same sentence!)

So i think its down to Fletch to see what team he can acquire by the time pre-season comes around and from there, decide on the best way to win with those players.

Newcastle for example play with two, big powerful strikers, yet dont play hoofball. A big striker does immediately mean long balls, but can offer a way out when under the cosh!

Mar 7, 2009
X Isle":2zyx5c8f said:
Honesty, integrity, openness, trust and transparency. The rest is mere details.

Oh good. So as long as Mr Brent speaks to the fans and tells us where the money is going, you'd take another season like this.

Well that's your call, I'd like to see us up there, playing whatever football is necessary.

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
What the hell is "attractive, attacking football"? As long as it wasn't like Tony Pulis style (as efficient and effective as was needed at the time) and we win more than we lose, im pleased. Lets just start winning more games again.

dennis the menace":1qtzkjod said:
Many on here said that they like Pter Reids passing game at the begining of the season as it was a refreshing change from hoofball. It might have been a change but it was very frustrating and no good for the players we had.

For next season I don't care how we play as long as we win - enough of the pretty football syndrome!

I agree, I'm sick of leaving Home Park having watched a loss (standfast the well fought for wins lately), although it would be great if attractive and winning were combined.

The game of football is the greatest soap opera mankind's imagination has ever come up with. Every club has a thread in the storyline and the fascination comes from the interweaving of multiple threads each week. Attractive football or not, I personally think it's always entertaining.

Winning is much harder to come by though, so I'll take the 46 1-0's please :lol:

Mar 27, 2008
Remember Shiltons team? Ultimately missed out on promotion but you sure as hell couldn't wait for the next game!!! Fantastic to watch.