My only wish for next season is.......... | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

My only wish for next season is..........

C

Colonel Kurtz

There's a balance to be found - Norwich being the best example I can think of. They do keep possession well, but can't hit the front quickly when required. They're no Stoke or Swansea, they kind of sit between the two.

Sturrock used the channels very effectivley (and Trigger was brilliant at holding play up), and it was clear he had an organised attack as well as defence. We just have the defence, our attack seems, to me, to be more luck then judgement.

I'd love to see us actually retain possession , to mix it up, so we're much less predictable. At times we're scared of the ball, and other's we can't even pass the thing accurately over a very short distance. Honesty, hard work etc is good but so is technique and vision - they're not mutually exclusive (think Nalis, McCall, Friio, Castle). However will Fletch actually change his approach? I can't think of any managers in the lower league ever radically changing their style. A coach who can provide an eye for organising the attacking/creative side is required.

Oct 24, 2010
Whatever league we are in we need to play passing football a la Peter Shilton's Nearly Men. Even with the success under Sturrock and our years in the Championship our attendance figures were not that good which I'm sure reflected the quality of the football on offer.

Jul 29, 2010
pilgrim_pete":2n3q10vv said:
X Isle":2n3q10vv said:
Honesty, integrity, openness, trust and transparency. The rest is mere details.

Oh good. So as long as Mr Brent speaks to the fans and tells us where the money is going, you'd take another season like this.

Well that's your call, I'd like to see us up there, playing whatever football is necessary.

So would I. The OP however granted us only one wish and that from now on is my bottom line requirement for Argyle.

You can however have honesty, integrity yadda yadda AND success and that's what we all want.

G

Greenskin

esmer":1pvnmbye said:
Whatever league we are in we need to play passing football a la Peter Shilton's Nearly Men. Even with the success under Sturrock and our years in the Championship our attendance figures were not that good which I'm sure reflected the quality of the football on offer.

The gates for Sturrock's championship winning side were 3000 per match higher than those that watched Shilton's team.And our first season in the CCC attracted gates 7000 higher than Shilton's season,which would appear to rather contradict your argument.

Dec 22, 2010
north devon
esmer":1nt0et5p said:
Agree 100%. Thats why football was designed to be played on grass and not on a hard surface.Ollys teams play it on the ground and they are entertaining and succesfull so it can work just need the right coaches.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
esmer":3iatfqcq said:

Totally agree esmer, as is normally the case when it comes to things on the pitch.

Shiltons side was the most attractive Argyle side I have ever seen. Would love to see that style of football re-created.