Millwall v Argyle Matchday Thread - Sponsored by Home Flooring LTD | Page 40 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Millwall v Argyle Matchday Thread - Sponsored by Home Flooring LTD

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
It’s baffling.

Playing with two in midfield, particularly without Forshaw, is suicide.

It’s been so obvious for quite some time that we need an extra body in the middle of the park.

This for me.

Many people on this forum have been saying for months that we are being overrun in midfield. Yet Foster and now Dewsnip/Nance are completely wedded to it. How can they not see what is so obvious?

I got pelters on here after Saints away for suggesting that our performance and the way we set up was “cowardly”. A poor choice of word I appreciate, but it was negative and smacked of an inferiority complex. We’ve then just taken that exact same approach away from home against two teams in the bottom 8 when all we really needed was a couple of points to keep us safe. Personally, I think the approach at Stoke and Milwall was pretty embarrassing. All the talk of being positive and getting our swagger back in press conferences has not been reflected at all in performances. Azaz may be missing but we could have tried getting guys like Wright and Devine into a more forward thinking midfield. Instead we’ve persisted with a setup that has not been working for the majority of the last 3 months.

I fully expect that we will be relegated next Saturday. Birmingham aren’t a good football team, but their home form is decent and they have difference makers in attacking areas. They are a team with quality that is woefully underperforming. We on the other hand have terrible home form, against one the best away teams in the league and other than our two star forward players who have played for the last two months like the Monstars from Space Jam have stolen their talent, we have a remarkable lack of quality in key areas.

We were always up against it in this league. There was enough ability in the squad to keep us up IF it was well coached and confident. Unfortunately both of those things have been lacking in spades since January.

I have been an advocate for data based recruitment and it certainly has its benefits, but our team is totally lack in athleticism, something we have clearly overlooked in that process. We need engines in midfield, we need pace in wide areas, we need disruptive, physical presences up front. We have none of that. Not good enough! Yesterday we had Galloway at LWB, who looked confused every time he got into the final third. Yet we had Sorinola on the bench and Sousa not even in the squad! What was the point of signing Sousa if we aren’t going to use him when we need someone in his position. He’s looked alright to me when he’s played, so why not use him? We built a squad based on the manager’s contacts book and threw our usual recruitment model out the window to do it. Who allowed this? Why was it allowed? Why wasn’t it challenged by experienced heads?

This will be a totally avoidable relegation if it is confirmed next week. Being stripped for parts in December/January will be a big reason for that, but big questions need to be asked about the recruitment (on and off the pitch) that followed. For a supposedly well run club, it has not been good enough and we need to see accountability and improvement whichever league we find ourselves.

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
I’ll start with the last thing the teenager said to me when we got back about midnight “dad not sure why the coach went through central London but I saw every tourist attraction but Buck House.”. The coach journey may well have been the highlight of the day :(

The Den is tucked away a bit essentially set between a road and a train line. The coaches had to go through the Millwall fans zone and then we parked around the back. No obvious hostility there, though the back of the away end/fan zone feels like it is auditioning as a prison yard for a tv show. It is perfectly safe, but feels sanitised.

I made certain I nipped in to see the presentation for Roy ‘I’m Millwall’ Larner and was a little disappointed. Roy was announced and walked onto the pitch. All fans in the ground at 2.40 clapped him but it was all over so quickly, it would have been nice if he walked around the ground so the fans could have given their appreciation more directly. It was a nice gesture, and I bet he enjoyed his day, but I think more could have been made of it. The Argo fans certainly would have given him a positive reaction had he walked past us (we even clapped their under 18s at half time which pales compared to taking on three armed terrorists).

Before the match our consensus was for some version of 4-3-3 and going for the win. The line up suggested we were trying to avoid a loss and lacked depth on the bench. We agreed it was worthwhile giving Waino a start. In the first half Millwall were a bit crisper in passing than us, but both defences were in the ascendancy. At half time a mate text to ask how it was going, the only word of my reply that passes the swear checker was “dull”. The 0-0 was on.

We were a bit better in the second half, and Morgs was put through with a lovely ball and probably should have scored, I certainly thought he would, and I would bet my house on it before Xmas. I assumed that neither side would score and never saw their’s coming. Yes it was a foul, but the ref never gave a single foul for a two handed push from behind by or against us all game so he was not going to change his myopia here.

At the time the sub happened we supported Pleggy coming on. Ashley was an enigma all game. He won nearly every ball in the air yet his passing was atrocious, I don’t remember a single one going to our player, many went out for a throw in. Moreover, in the second half he was getting pulled out of position and a gap to exploit opened several times. Taking him off at the time was a rational decision, sadly not all rational decisions work out :(

I thought Scarr played well, and even his centre forward impression was worth a gamble. Waino did okay, challenged a lot, just had no service, Bundu looked like he was the one who would make things happen, Coops was very good at cutting the crosses out though his kicking is not there yet. In truth, we played for 0-0 but simply ran out of energy. Neither side were that good, Millwall were just a bit sharper and controlled.

There is a lot about Millwall fans being intimidating, maybe because I had been in the home end a few times at Cold Blow Lane as a kid surrounded by dockers, I did not see it that way. When we arrived and had to go through their fans fest, at least one fan waved at our coach and none behaved aggressively. I was a bit surprised how many empty seats in the three home ends there were. Indeed, I thought the home fans were very quiet until they scored. The banter came from the block to our left, but it was really the preserve of a few and the back and forth was quite normal. At the end it had the appearance of being ’tasty’ but was not really. There was the annual pitch invasion by those new to shaving, with lots of posturing. There was genuine anger at our end, but that was initially at the players, management and especially the result. It turned on eventually the home ‘invaders’ but we were high up they were on the pitch. I suspect if both groups had met outside there might have been issues, but it all felt like immature mansplaining and over-egged machismo. The teenager, who’s only been shaving a few years himself said something about bankers ;)

I am glad we went, I’ve not been back to sarf London for a long time, the teenager enjoyed the tourist trip and my life long Lions supporting dad will be delighted when I see him later. But please next year can my trip south of the river be to Bermondsey again and not Charlton. UTBA.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Just watching the Hull v Ipswich game. What a difference in the quality of play from both sides (when compared to Argyle) - the fluidity of the play, the speed and urgency, the effort, the ability to string together passes (like they know what the plan is, how they intend to approach the match). For quite some time Argyle have seemed to me to be a collection of individuals who don't have confidence in each other or the understanding of what the game plan is, if there is a coherent one in the first place!). And on top of all this, understandably perhaps, there is not the same work rate as other teams in the Championship, a general lack of aggression, continual lapses in concentration/joined up thinking). Most annoying to me is that certain players appear to be coasting, rather than putting in the extra effort that would signal to their team-mates that it's worth them putting in the same effort, to lift the team performance to a level that would allow them to truly compete with other teams in this league. Whittaker for me is the one player that has shown this lack of true effort and grit, regardless of his goals this season and his obvious (though limited) ability. Does he not realise he could a much better player if he didn't swan about like he believes football owes him something. You get what you deserve in this life, and if you want to truly succeed it starts by putting in the hard work and challenging yourself, NOT JUST COASTING!
To be honest I have watched the ITV Highlights show every week and virtual all the other teams have showed the qualities that you describe.Sheff Wed and QPR were struggling but changed their managers and improved massively.What has dissappointed me is that the players seemed to approve of Foster being sacked but the performances have not improved.Having watched the Hull match like you I think that sadly they will win quite easily at HP on Saturday

The Pasty Kid

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
Surely staying in the Championship would enable more money to be spent on infrastructure? Is that too obvious?
No of course, but Brickfields is ring fenced funds and fans will always want more spent on the team. There's always another player, and another season that we could spend on. Infrastructure first imo. Have a different opinion if you wish.

Reactions: Greenarmy1234
Sep 6, 2006
No of course, but Brickfields is ring fenced funds and fans will always want more spent on the team. There's always another player, and another season that we could spend on. Infrastructure first imo. Have a different opinion if you wish.
But thats the point! I agree! But spending a little more on the squad to help ensure survival (we're only a couple of points short) would have provided considerably more next season for infrastructure.

The Pasty Kid

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
But thats the point! I agree! But spending a little more on the squad to help ensure survival (we're only a couple of points short) would have provided considerably more next season for infrastructure.
I can't disagree with that in principle, in practice where is the line drawn? Where I have a great deal of agreement with you is we have gone into this season somewhat weaker than last, particularly up top - and it's no coincidence we've stopped scoring, with one decent striker who is streaky anyway, and now running on fumes. Where I have less sympathy with some on here is the scrap Brickfields for now idea, which would be self defeating imo.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I still don't know what brickfields actually is.

Is it an academy? A social sports hub? A training facility?

Jan 23, 2024
I can't disagree with that in principle, in practice where is the line drawn? Where I have a great deal of agreement with you is we have gone into this season somewhat weaker than last, particularly up top - and it's no coincidence we've stopped scoring, with one decent striker who is streaky anyway, and now running on fumes. Where I have less sympathy with some on here is the scrap Brickfields for now idea, which would be self defeating imo.
In hindsight maybe the decision would have been a little different, with a small part of the extra funding being allocated for team building, but of course everything is easier with hindsight.
Also when was the decision made regarding the Brickfields investment? I'm sure it was a while ago (maybe 12 months, I haven't checked) so at that time it would not have been at all clear that maybe just a small increase in the team budget would have made much difference?

Reactions: The Pasty Kid

The Pasty Kid

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
In hindsight maybe the decision would have been a little different, with a small part of the extra funding being allocated for team building, but of course everything is easier with hindsight.
Also when was the decision made regarding the Brickfields investment? I'm sure it was a while ago (maybe 12 months, I haven't checked) so at that time it would not have been at all clear that maybe just a small increase in the team budget would have made much difference?
Which is why it has to sit separately from team funding, as there will always be a temptation to dip-in. In reality there will be a legal agreement between partners and we are now obliged to fund our share. We can hardly say 'actually we need a striker so we'll give you less now and we'll finish it next year'

Reactions: jimsing