Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22} | Page 48 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Michael Cooper "Going Nowhere" {Schuey 13/10/22}

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
At least they finally told us the rumours were just that
I’d say the conversations probably went like this
“we are interested in buying Mike Cooper” Argyle responded “no problem, we won’t look at offers below £10m though”
They then said “that’s too much right now, thanks anyway” 🤣

Reactions: PlymOdi
Oct 5, 2013
That's fair enough, it is just my opinion which holds no weight with anyone else's and I'm good with that.
I'm not in the loop at Home Park as you are and certainly others on here, but it is still my opinion he isn't yet good enough for the Premier league nor a top championship side.
I am more than happy to have a told you so when proven wrong, however I think a club like Middlesbrough is where he will go if he leaves at all.
In my opinion there isn’t a better English keeper than Coops at the present time.

Aug 5, 2016
I’d say the conversations probably went like this
“we are interested in buying Mike Cooper” Argyle responded “no problem, we won’t look at offers below £10m though”
They then said “that’s too much right now, thanks anyway” 🤣
Exactly, 'no bids' does not mean no interest.

If clubs know Cooper is available for £10m and Argyle aren't desperate enough to accept stupid offers, then the pool of clubs that want to spend £5m+ on a keeper is actually quite a small pool. There needs to be a goalkeeping vacancy first, then the money ready to spend after. Even most Championship clubs wouldn't have the funds to bid for Cooper.

To make a bid is for a club to really want Cooper, feel Argyle's estimation is too high and want to test the waters. It may attract the interest of other parties. It's only October and the window doesn't open until January. It is not in the bidder's interest to raise publicity and stir the market up two months before they can actually transfer the player they want. This is why I'd have thought there have been no bids, that and common knowledge of Argyle's high estimation of Cooper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daz

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
It's not really backed up by anything solid, when you read it. However I think if Coops was around 2-3 inches taller he would probably already have gone. In this increasingly data-driven environment, where I think all but one premier league keeper is at least 6'2" maybe that missing inch might bizzarely be worth a few million ! In any event I'm happy that here's still here.
Shay Given contradicts that theory!

Oct 13, 2022
Bazuna hasn’t looked out of place in the premier league and I could see coops being equally as comfortable at the very highest level. Promotion may see us able to retain him but if that doesn’t happen I think he deserves the blessing of the club to go and play at a higher level. One way or another he can’t be playing league one football next season.

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
I think a 6 million price tag is realistic in current market. However, the bigger clubs will be looking all over Europe to find the next Peter Schmeichel ( the clubs looking for a keeper). If I was head scout I'd be checking France Spain and Germany - the leagues one down from the respective Top Division.

Aug 5, 2016
Shay Given contradicts that theory!
Iker Casillas never had a bad career seeing as he was 5' 11".

Would his talent really have been restricted to the lower leagues with the advent of data analysis? I can't really understand that.

Surely the only data that matters is saves, clean sheets, 1v1s, crosses punched/caught/cleared, pass completion etc., goal kicks, throws.

If a 6 foot keeper can do all of that as competently as a 6' 6" goalkeeper, then I can't understand the urgency of having someone taller and the millions it would add to the price tag.
Why are there no 7 foot keepers if height is such a priority/advantage?

Last edited:
Reactions: 999mattyg
Sep 18, 2010
Pope may have a bit to say. However years ago I remember the hype about young Lenny Pidgley of Chelsea who was good but over hyped and he didn't do what everyone was saying he would.
There have been countless promising young English keepers that didn’t reach the heights many predicted early on in their careers.

Reactions: Andy B.
Feb 16, 2011
If Cooper is to short and is being overhyped, would we settle for him as our keeper for the next 15 years? I think we all know the answer.