Matt Macey discussion (split thread) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Matt Macey discussion (split thread)

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
Argylegames":xk4hovba said:
IJN":xk4hovba said:
THE Arsenal? :funny:

Well it was their official name just over 100 years ago Ian.

Wasn't that after they were franchised to North London from Woolwich?

All these fans of other teams on here.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Justin":2ztcb440 said:
Emu":2ztcb440 said:
Justin":2ztcb440 said:
macleanie":2ztcb440 said:
WoodsyGreen":2ztcb440 said:
Macey must have some dirt on the Arsenal hierarchy, it's the only explanation for them not kicking him out the door years ago.

Arsenal are just a joke of a club. They haven't got a clue defensively, David Luiz just been offered a new contract after all his mistakes. Liverpool's Karius cost them a final, was shipped out and bought Alisson and are now champions of Europe, England and the World. They can highlight there issues and fix them.

Matt Macey on the bench for Arsenal is the least surprising thing ever :lol:

Arteta's choice on Luiz, who values him as a great mentor for the wealth of outstanding youngsters breaking in into the first team squad.

Happy for Matt that he's still highly rated at Arsenal. He signed a contract extension a few weeks ago-

https://www.justarsenal.com/arsenal-make-excellent-signing-with-perfect-timing-for-a-change/249196

Ā£120k a week seems a lot for a mentor...

I don't think the reason for Macey still being at Arsenal is that he is highly rated. More to the tune than he is happy to accept Ā£10k a week (or whatever he is on) to be a 3rd choice goalkeeper.

How do you know what salary was agreed? For either of those players? Luiz accepted a heavily reduced salary I've heard.

If Macey wasn't rated, why would they have offered him a new deal? Doesn't make any sense. You don't think Arsenal have an academy or anything?

Luiz was on 120k a week by all accounts, although he's taken a wage cut with his new deal, so lets say he's on Ā£60k a week for arguments sake, it still seems a lot for a mentor. Arsenal need to play him in a back 3 or as a DCM to minimise further calamities.

I cannot see Arsenal paying silly money for a 3rd choice goalkeeper, can you?
Don't get me wrong, Macey does have some good attributes as a goalkeeper, but he's nearly 26, and apart from a handful of loan stints, and an up and down time at Argyle (where he failed to convince many times), I don't have as high hopes for him as you do.
With the expert goalkeeping coaching you would expect at Arsenal, I would have expected more.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
A genuine question, Justin, are you an Arsenal supporter?

I do realise you are an Argyle supporter but there are many who also have allegiance to a Premier League team. You just seem very protective of Matt Macey.

You seem to think we are too critical of him but, surely, criticism is something that professional sportsmen have to tolerate, especially when they are approaching mid career.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Now that the title of this thread has been changed, I will not comment further as Macey is no longer involved with PAFC.
I wish him well in the rest of his career as a goalkeeper or whatever other career he chooses.

Mar 16, 2009
London
davie nine":34amflh8 said:

I do realise you are an Argyle supporter but there are many who also have allegiance to a Premier League team. You just seem very protective of Matt Macey.

You seem to think we are too critical of him but, surely, criticism is something that professional sportsmen have to tolerate, especially when they are approaching mid career.

Davie I will give you that one, Iā€™m a big Arsenal fan yes.

Argyle and Arsenal.

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
Justin":2yy3zch1 said:
davie nine":2yy3zch1 said:

Argyle and Arsenal.

:facepalm:

Aug 5, 2016
Justin":qndyqmpc said:
Knibbsworth":qndyqmpc said:
davie nine":qndyqmpc said:
The simple truth is that there must be a huge difference between the opinion of Arsenalā€™s management and at least 95% of Argyle supporters.
I guess that one day he may return to Home Park for another club and ā€˜put egg on our facesā€™.
I donā€™t expect it to happen but, if it did, I would be the first to hold my hands up.
I am convinced that, if Alex Palmer was our loan keeper last season, we would, comfortably, have avoided relegation.

Completely agree.

Macey's status at Arsenal is a complete head scratcher for me also. He isn't even League One level, and he remains two injuries or suspensions away from having to stop goals from Harry Kane and Sergio Aguero. And Arsenal are happy with that arrangement.

I repeat as above.

You have one view of Macey.

Arteta, Wenger, Ljunberg, Bibbo, Cech, Leno. Derek Adams, etc etc have a different view.

He's a quality keeper. He's kept clean sheets for Arsenal in European matches. He'll get better. An experience on loan to a lower league club isn't just valuable for the game time. It's character building. You learn life lessons. You grow up. You're not the finished article. This will make you a better player. Obvious stuff.

It disgusts me when 'fans' scapegoat/bully young players. So you single-handedly blame him for relegation. Why would anyone ever take a single word you say seriously ever again Knibbsworth?

I don't single handedly blame Macey for relegation, but I don't think we'd have gone down if Palmer had spent the season with us instead. Macey's status at Arsenal led me to believe we wold be getting one of the best goalkeepers in the division, but I found his talents underwhelming. Alex Palmer on the other hand arrived without any hype, hardly any Football League experience, and has looked every inch an assured, class act. Go before him and we had Remi Matthews, Kelle Roos, Cameron Dawson, David Button, David Stockdale etc.
Argyle fans know what a decent keeper looks like.

Arsenal's third choice goalkeeper should have stood head and shoulders above that lot but I'd probably rate him as the least talented of the lot.

I also do not believe Wenger, Ljungberg, Bibbo, Cech, Leno etc. all believe Matt Macey is exceptionally talented and has a bright future. He is English and he is cheap, which counts in his favour, but even still I'd have thought there were better homegrown third choice keepers around.

Macey is 25 years old so when does Arteta reckon he is going to turn into an international standard goalkeeper that Arsenal are used to having in their set up? He still hasn't made a senior appearance yet. Imagine Argyle keeping Michael Cooper as a third choice keeper for another 5 seasons, still bringing in new goalkeepers ahead of him regularly, whilst constantly renewing his contract for no apparent reason and I am sure you would share my confusion.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Justin":eb5lbemp said:
davie nine":eb5lbemp said:

Argyle and Arsenal.
Ah!! Cheers, Justin. Now, I get it.
Edit to add:-
Iā€™ve just found that, exactly a year ago today, we had a similar discussion about whether you would have Matt Macey back on loan.
In fairness, you also thought that Mike Cooper should be given a chance in League 2.

Oct 31, 2015
Justin":1s2a66ed said:
davie nine":1s2a66ed said:

Argyle and Arsenal.

Well I will give you 10/10 for your backing of Macey last season when most of us were screaming blue murder but now I see it was with very red tinted glasses :doh:

Saying that I do agree with you about lambasting young players. They do need to build their confidence as a young player. Saying that I don't see Macey as a young player. Look at Alex Palmer this season just gone. He was learning his trade and made mistakes but boy he learnt and is head and shoulders above Macey.

At least I understand your unwavering support of the lad now.

Not getting into supporting a second football team argument. Could never understand that tbh.

For me Macey was let down by his control of his area and the control of the people in front of him. That was not prem quality. The other thing that drove me batty was his insistence on patting the ball out in front of him instead of holding or turning the ball away.

Still ex player now and Justin will say Arsenal's gain. :shocked:

Apr 1, 2009
Not a fan of Macey, but I don't think the defence helped. There were a motley collection of RB's, none of whom really impressed. Canavan was much poorer as a LCB compared to playing in the centre of a 3 this season. Worse though, IMHO, was Ryan Edwards who probably escaped the worst of the flak with the fanbase supportive of his medical situation. It was odd how Adams, a cautious manager who liked to build his teams on defensive organisation, firstly made a mess of his summer 2018 recruitment and was then unable to reverse the subsequent disarray.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Knibbsworth":yg67fz9a said:
Justin":yg67fz9a said:
Knibbsworth":yg67fz9a said:
davie nine":yg67fz9a said:
The simple truth is that there must be a huge difference between the opinion of Arsenalā€™s management and at least 95% of Argyle supporters.
I guess that one day he may return to Home Park for another club and ā€˜put egg on our facesā€™.
I donā€™t expect it to happen but, if it did, I would be the first to hold my hands up.
I am convinced that, if Alex Palmer was our loan keeper last season, we would, comfortably, have avoided relegation.

Completely agree.

Macey's status at Arsenal is a complete head scratcher for me also. He isn't even League One level, and he remains two injuries or suspensions away from having to stop goals from Harry Kane and Sergio Aguero. And Arsenal are happy with that arrangement.

I repeat as above.

You have one view of Macey.

Arteta, Wenger, Ljunberg, Bibbo, Cech, Leno. Derek Adams, etc etc have a different view.

He's a quality keeper. He's kept clean sheets for Arsenal in European matches. He'll get better. An experience on loan to a lower league club isn't just valuable for the game time. It's character building. You learn life lessons. You grow up. You're not the finished article. This will make you a better player. Obvious stuff.

It disgusts me when 'fans' scapegoat/bully young players. So you single-handedly blame him for relegation. Why would anyone ever take a single word you say seriously ever again Knibbsworth?

I don't single handedly blame Macey for relegation, but I don't think we'd have gone down if Palmer had spent the season with us instead. Macey's status at Arsenal led me to believe we wold be getting one of the best goalkeepers in the division, but I found his talents underwhelming. Alex Palmer on the other hand arrived without any hype, hardly any Football League experience, and has looked every inch an assured, class act. Go before him and we had Remi Matthews, Kelle Roos, Cameron Dawson, David Button, David Stockdale etc.
Argyle fans know what a decent keeper looks like.

Arsenal's third choice goalkeeper should have stood head and shoulders above that lot but I'd probably rate him as the least talented of the lot.

I also do not believe Wenger, Ljungberg, Bibbo, Cech, Leno etc. all believe Matt Macey is exceptionally talented and has a bright future. He is English and he is cheap, which counts in his favour, but even still I'd have thought there were better homegrown third choice keepers around.

Macey is 25 years old so when does Arteta reckon he is going to turn into an international standard goalkeeper that Arsenal are used to having in their set up? He still hasn't made a senior appearance yet. Imagine Argyle keeping Michael Cooper as a third choice keeper for another 5 seasons, still bringing in new goalkeepers ahead of him regularly, whilst constantly renewing his contract for no apparent reason and I am sure you would share my confusion.

Your arguments would carry more wait occasionally Kinbbs if you knew what you were talking about, rather than your preferred technique of spouting garbage as convincingly as possible.

Macey was Man of the match in one of his two senior appearances for Arsenal:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-stand-in-goalkeeper-matt-macey-a8034776.html

And from the Mirror:

Arsenal

Macey 8MOTM ā€“ Certainly looks the part. Tall, imposing and not intimidated infront of a 50,000+ plus audience.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-player-ratings-dour-red-11458517

Sep 6, 2006
Justin":1lipgwss said:
davie nine":1lipgwss said:

Argyle and Arsenal.

He's also an Adams fan :facepalm:

Mar 16, 2009
London
Balham_Green":3tpzeuns said:
Justin":3tpzeuns said:
davie nine":3tpzeuns said:

Argyle and Arsenal.

Who are you a fan of BG?

Anyone?

Sep 6, 2006
Justin":3rmqkc7k said:
Balham_Green":3rmqkc7k said:
Justin":3rmqkc7k said:
davie nine":3rmqkc7k said:

Argyle and Arsenal.

Who are you a fan of BG?

Anyone?

Derek Adams of course! A figure of inspiration to us all. Barcelona awaits