Matt Macey discussion (split thread) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Matt Macey discussion (split thread)

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Justin":3tufxfef said:
xmastree":3tufxfef said:
davie nine":3tufxfef said:
The simple truth is that there must be a huge difference between the opinion of Arsenal’s management and at least 95% of Argyle supporters.
I guess that one day he may return to Home Park for another club and ‘put egg on our faces’.
I don’t expect it to happen but, if it did, I would be the first to hold my hands up.
I am convinced that, if Alex Palmer was our loan keeper last season, we would, comfortably, have avoided relegation.

Without a doubt.

So now relegation was all down to one player?

I think I'd rather trust the opinions of professionals than myopic fans, thanks.
In fairness, Justin, you have been consistent in your opinion of Macey. I did refer to 95% of Argyle supporters and realise that you are have always been one of the 5% (maximum).
It was not all down to one player but bear in mind that we were only relegated on goal difference so he was certainly one of the more culpable in my opinion.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Pogleswoody":bgdmhaty said:
Justin":bgdmhaty said:
xmastree":bgdmhaty said:
davie nine":bgdmhaty said:
The simple truth is that there must be a huge difference between the opinion of Arsenal’s management and at least 95% of Argyle supporters.
I guess that one day he may return to Home Park for another club and ‘put egg on our faces’.
I don’t expect it to happen but, if it did, I would be the first to hold my hands up.
I am convinced that, if Alex Palmer was our loan keeper last season, we would, comfortably, have avoided relegation.

Without a doubt.

So now relegation was all down to one player?

I think I'd rather trust the opinions of professionals than myopic fans, thanks.

Yes obviously; you mean Adams, Wotton and Nancekivell?? :think:

I was meaning more Arteta, Wenger, Ljunberg, Cech, Bibbo...

But you can add yours to that list too if you like.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
Is it not also the case that young players go out on loan precisely because they are not the finished article? I would not expect him to be playing at a lower L1 side on loan if Arsenal thought he was capable of more at the time.

I agree that he was not good enough in his time with us, but that is not to say he has not improved while training with top players and coaches. I think Macey has suffered from the fact that we have had Palmer come in since, who was already looking like a goalkeeper who could do a job in the Championship if called upon. With finances as they are, I would not be surprised if WBA keep Palmer on as a No.2 whichever division they are in next year.

Aug 5, 2016
davie nine":1ifcybjj said:

Completely agree.

Macey's status at Arsenal is a complete head scratcher for me also. He isn't even League One level, and he remains two injuries or suspensions away from having to stop goals from Harry Kane and Sergio Aguero. And Arsenal are happy with that arrangement.

Dec 30, 2011
Knibbsworth":rp7lu0g2 said:
davie nine":rp7lu0g2 said:

Completely agree.

Macey's status at Arsenal is a complete head scratcher for me also. He isn't even League One level, and he remains two injuries or suspensions away from having to stop goals from Harry Kane and Sergio Aguero. And Arsenal are happy with that arrangement.

Macey must have regained his confidence and improved greatly over the player we saw - why are so many so keen to lambast a young player who isn't even on Argyles books ?

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Macy is a sign of the times at Arsenal....they are not the team they used to be.....when flop David Luiz is offered a new contract after laughingly disastrous defending what else needs to be said....ever since arriving at the Emirates he has shown that he has lost the plot....four red cards in one season.....he wouldn't get a contract down the local Rec team personally.

Just think of all the great defenders that Arsenal have had in the last 20 years.....they must be weeping.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Knibbsworth":oja1675v said:
davie nine":oja1675v said:

Completely agree.

I repeat as above.

You have one view of Macey.

Arteta, Wenger, Ljunberg, Bibbo, Cech, Leno. Derek Adams, etc etc have a different view.

He's a quality keeper. He's kept clean sheets for Arsenal in European matches. He'll get better. An experience on loan to a lower league club isn't just valuable for the game time. It's character building. You learn life lessons. You grow up. You're not the finished article. This will make you a better player. Obvious stuff.

It disgusts me when 'fans' scapegoat/bully young players. So you single-handedly blame him for relegation. Why would anyone ever take a single word you say seriously ever again Knibbsworth?

Mar 16, 2009
London
Princerock":1htb33we said:
Macy is a sign of the times at Arsenal....they are not the team they used to be.....when flop David Luiz is offered a new contract after laughingly disastrous defending what else needs to be said....ever since arriving at the Emirates he has shown that he has lost the plot....four red cards in one season.....he wouldn't get a contract down the local Rec team personally.

Just think of all the great defenders that Arsenal have had in the last 20 years.....they must be weeping.

David Luiz a flop? :funny:

One of the world's most decorated players.

He's got a Champion's League winners medal, a Premier League winner's medal, 3 FA Cup medals, 2 Europa League winner's medals. He's won countless domestic trophies in France with PSG, and in Portugal with Benfica.

He's individually won silver ball at a World Cup (Best player of the tournament runner-up), selected for the World Cup 2014 Dream Team, for the World best XI 2014... the list is endless.

He's a great mentor for the young players, and his attitude is exemplary.

You really know how to judge a player don't you!!

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
YES...David Luiz is a flop... how many medals or trophies has he won at Arsenal.....it's a success for him if he doesn't give a goal away and manages to last 90 minutes....you can't live on your past successes when a forward is running at you,,,,it's the presence and it's happening now.

It doesn't work telling an attacker....to hold on a minute......don't you realize how many medals and trophies I've won...IN THE PAST.....it's a game played in the presence not during your past glories.....as I said David Luiz is a failure.....ask the Arsenal faithful.....

Mar 16, 2009
London
Princerock":22he5krx said:
YES...David Luiz is a flop... how many medals or trophies has he won at Arsenal.....it's a success for him if he doesn't give a goal away and manages to last 90 minutes....you can't live on your past successes when a forward is running at you,,,,it's the presence and it's happening now.

It doesn't work telling an attacker....to hold on a minute......don't you realize how many medals and trophies I've won...IN THE PAST.....it's a game played in the presence not during your past glories.....as I said David Luiz is a failure.....ask the Arsenal faithful.....

How many trophies and medals has he won at Arsenal you ask? :funny:

He hasn't even been there a whole season yet!!!

Priceless.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Princerock":3rqsmmc8 said:

As a non-partisan observer, I would say that David Luiz, as he has got older, is not the force he was when regularly winning trophies at Chelsea, PSG and Benifica. Age catches up with us all given time. He is apparently good at giving playing tips to up and coming your players at Arsenal and is a lively presence in the dressing room, but does that excuse defensive mistakes. Given the number of medals he has accumulated I would never say he has been a failure as an international professional footballer.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Quintrell_Green":3hqh1fsq said:
Princerock":3hqh1fsq said:

As a non-partisan observer, I would say that David Luiz, as he has got older, is not the force he was when regularly winning trophies at Chelsea, PSG and Benifica. Age catches up with us all given time. He is apparently good at giving playing tips to up and coming your players at Arsenal and is a lively presence in the dressing room, but does that excuse defensive mistakes. Given the number of medals he has accumulated I would never say he has been a failure as an international professional footballer.

I agree....but that's history now of course.

Sep 6, 2006
The media is obsessed with the Prem. Come on to a Plymouth Argyle fans site to escape all that cr%o and what do we get? :facepalm:
I blame Justin! :wave:

Mar 16, 2009
London
Balham_Green":2lt5e8dh said:
The media is obsessed with the Prem. Come on to a Plymouth Argyle fans site to escape all that cr%o and what do we get? :facepalm:
I blame Justin! :wave:

It started with some predictable Macey-bashing, from there to some Arsenal-bashing, and ended up with some mirthful Luiz-bashing.

None of any of that was down to me. But then I know you're just teasing BG.