Man U down 4-0 after 35 mins to Brentford | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Man U down 4-0 after 35 mins to Brentford

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
- but I think United fans get unfairly labelled along with the myths about more Mancunians being City fans and the mind numbingly unoriginal ,boring and repetitive posts about all their fans heading home to Surrey etc.
Is it a myth though unhinched? Just for 'devilment' (did you see what I did there? 😉 ) I Googled and found this from a YouGov poll from 2014 and it seems to confirm that City's support is mostly drawn from the North west (49%) but ManUre's only 28% come from that region - but they get 21% from London & the southeast.

I must declare that seeing their current chaotic state "I Luv it! Luv it!" (as a certain Mr Keegan used to say).

Reactions: Clyst Green

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Is it a myth though unhinched? Just for 'devilment' (did you see what I did there? 😉 ) I Googled and found this from a YouGov poll from 2014 and it seems to confirm that City's support is mostly drawn from the North west (49%) but ManUre's only 28% come from that region - but they get 21% from London & the southeast.

I must declare that seeing their current chaotic state "I Luv it! Luv it!" (as a certain Mr Keegan used to say).

I wonder if that will change as United's descent into also-ran status continues. Why would a schoolkid from London or wherever support them given that they don't have the best players and they never win anything? You'd already have to be in your late teens to have any clear memory of the Fergie years - a ten-year-old football-mad kid will only remember the failures.

Nov 18, 2011
I wonder if that will change as United's descent into also-ran status continues. Why would a schoolkid from London or wherever support them given that they don't have the best players and they never win anything? You'd already have to be in your late teens to have any clear memory of the Fergie years - a ten-year-old football-mad kid will only remember the failures.
Likewise City's continued success will probably mean more glory supporters from all round the country.

Speaking of humorous social media posts, I saw one recently that made me chuckle that attributed Man U's demise with them not adequately replacing Howard Webb.

• Haha
Reactions: Daz

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Man Utd will always attract fans from all over the place due to parentage. They were rubbish in the 80's when i was getting in to watching football, but there were many United fans in my class at school. Back then it was Liverpool fans that had no connection with Liverpool who were supporting them.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat
Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Yes very true and suspect if that poll was done today you'd see the shift. It used to be unusual to see City shirts outside Manchester (not that I ever went to Manchester much) but not now. Like many my age I find it hugely entertaining to see United in this mess ..... but my dislike of City with their bottomless pockets stuffed with the petro-chemical cash from oppressive Middle eastern backers is growing exponentially.

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016

Thats the trouble with stats Ave IT - they can be used to mislead. United's fanbase is so vastly bigger than City's that 28% local still means more local fans than City at 48% local.
If City had more local fans why were United always getting loads more than City before the days of Japanese and London tourists.
United are massive in Ireland, Scandanavia and around Britain and the World.
City just don't have that magic, although they have always had very solid support. I remember a good away support in , I think the League cup, at Argyle on a midweek night in the 80's.
When I grew up in the 70's most kids at my school supported United, Spurs, Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal & City in very roughly that order. Most supported Argyle too.

unhinched

🚑 Steve Hooper
Apr 16, 2016
I remember United fans singing the Inspiral Carpets song :
"This is how it feels to be City
This is how it feels to be small
this is how it feels when your club wins nothing at all, nothing at all .."

Within a year City were singing
" This is how it feels to be City
You sign Phil Jones , we sign Kun Aguero, Kun Aguero .. "

You just knew things were shifting !!

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Thats the trouble with stats Ave IT - they can be used to mislead. United's fanbase is so vastly bigger than City's that 28% local still means more local fans than City at 48% local.
If City had more local fans why were United always getting loads more than City before the days of Japanese and London tourists.
United are massive in Ireland, Scandanavia and around Britain and the World.
City just don't have that magic, although they have always had very solid support. I remember a good away support in , I think the League cup, at Argyle on a midweek night in the 80's.
When I grew up in the 70's most kids at my school supported United, Spurs, Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal & City in very roughly that order. Most supported Argyle too.
Nothing wrong with stats - I luv 'em. It's just a case of interpreting and questioning them before projecting any meaning on to them.

You're right of course that Man U always had a much bigger fan base around the world - well certainly since the Busby babes era, the Munich disaster, European Cup glory, Georgie B (hence the strong Ireland connection) etc etc....... The stats in that poll don't say anything about absolute numbers just the distribution of the total fan base. So it's quite true to say that most City fans actually live in or near Manchester whereas most Man U fans (or at least people who identify as such) come from far and wide including huge numbers from the south east....... but it's also true more Mancunians support United than City.

I did say I was quoting it for 'devilment' .......Stats eh? Don't you just luv 'em 😉

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
I remember United fans singing the Inspiral Carpets song :
"This is how it feels to be City
this is how it feels when your club wins nothing at all, nothing at all .."

Within a year City were singing
" This is how it feels to be City
You sign Phil Jones , we sign Kun Aguero, Kun Aguero .. "

You just knew things were shifting !!

It's sad what's happened to Phil Jones - he could have been a hell of a player if it hadn't been for injuries and the constant turnover of managers at Man Utd. Bobby Charlton compared him to Duncan Edwards, which seems amazing at this remove.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Early days yet, but if the Jim Ratcliffe sale goes through things are looking extremely positive for Man Utd. There's no way he'll put up with the mediocrity that the Glazers seem to be content with.

On a side note, I wonder what his favourite thing about living in the tax haven of Monaco is.

Nov 18, 2011
Early days yet, but if the Jim Ratcliffe sale goes through things are looking extremely positive for Man Utd. There's no way he'll put up with the mediocrity that the Glazers seem to be content with.

On a side note, I wonder what his favourite thing about living in the tax haven of Monaco is.
Already owns Nice which could be a problem if both clubs make the same European competition.

I'd be surprised if the Glazers want to sell though, Man United is too much of a cash cow for them. I think things would have to become properly toxic before they would consider it.