Lowe - "We're overachieving ............... | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Lowe - "We're overachieving ...............

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Mike Cooper. Surprised how much he has developed in a short period. The confidence from last season MC to this season is incredible in comparison
Agree about MC. He is so assured with the ball at his feet, beyond his years for sure. It won't be long before he moves for big money. I just hope his agent doesn't turn him into a bench warmer for a Prem club

Reactions: Tugboat
Dec 3, 2005
I am dreading the january transfer market. At this rate we will definately have Clubs circling around our players and some, like Broom may well be wanted back by Peterborough.

Reactions: slingsbypobble

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
It makes little difference what the size of the budget is, it's how you spend it.
Except that’s nonsense…!

If your budget is 10 times bigger than mine then you can be 10 times more wasteful than I am and still get better outcomes. Having a bigger budget makes it much easier to be successful, even if you’re not very good.

But yes, how you spend/manage your budget is obviously of great importance.

Reactions: Knibbsworth

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Except that’s nonsense…!

If your budget is 10 times bigger than mine then you can be 10 times more wasteful than I am and still get better outcomes. Having a bigger budget makes it much easier to be successful, even if you’re not very good.

But yes, how you spend/manage your budget is obviously of great importance.

So not actually nonsense then.

Reactions: philevs
Dec 30, 2020
So not actually nonsense
the idea that the size of the budget “makes little difference” is so clearly provable nonsense it’s amazing it even needs saying. Why do you think Argyle are better than Truro City but worse than Chelsea? There will be some over and underachievers but every season the league table always has and always will more or less align with how much different clubs have to spend

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Personally I don’t think any of our players are over performing. I think they are top-half / mid table players currently in very good form. That’s the biggest difference from last year where we had the remnants of a League Two squad and the recruitment brought in players who were only just League One standard.

Reactions: philevs
I am dreading the january transfer market. At this rate we will definately have Clubs circling around our players and some, like Broom may well be wanted back by Peterborough.
It’s about time the January transfer window was abolished Europe-wide. Buy your team at the start of the season, develop them between August and May, and live with your decisions. If clubs need to buy and sell, then this should only happen at the season’s conclusion, when all competitions are finished and a sensible judgement and valuation of players’ contributions to those competitions is possible.

Reactions: BeetleBurger
Feb 8, 2005
Are we punching above our weight?

I have to say that when I think of the football club I think of traditionally being top half of the first division and the bottom half of the Championship. This is where we have plied our football regularly, in the past, and where we should be, according to the size of the club and its support from the fans.

Admittedly the introduction of seats have reduced our numbers that can get into the ground (42,000 used to be our capacity), but that has not been a problem in recent years.

I know we haven't been there for many years, in fact we've been in the bottom division far too long for my liking, and I know times have changed and the levels of the football league have improved immensely since we were regularly there, but I cannot get away from the fact that we are now where we should be competing, top half of the third (now the first) and bottom half of the second (now the Championship). Indeed we have toyed with the top of the first division (Championship) but have always been unable to sustain such a challenge.

Fans of a lesser age than me will not know of the times we had in the second, now Championship, but believe me we were always a sustainable club at that level and alternated between the two divisions regularly. We had another spell in the second more recently before disaster befell us and liquidation was a real threat. However we have overcome that, thanks to James Brent, and have now left that in our past.

Resurgam indeed.

We just have to be sustainable and we can expect decent football from here on in.

Thank you to all those that have made this possible and I look forward to where Ryan Lowe and his team can take us in the next year or two, and may he continue to get the players to "overachieve"

Hang on, the ride should be an exciting one.

Reactions: saxman and Swaz
Apr 28, 2019
Overachieving Clubs:

Leicester, Brentford, Blackpool, Norwich, Accrington, Morecambe, Wycombe and.....Argyle ?

Personally, I think we are under achieving.

As an Argyle fan, I remember many hard fought matches between us and the Clubs listed above, when we were all in the same division.

And what about that infamous play off encounter with Burnley. Which league are they in now with there 16 - 20 000 attendances ?

Argyle, with their 15 000 crowds, huge catchment area. A big local youth talent pool..., we should be doing much better.

So, why do we suddenly tell ourselves, 'okay lads, the shows over, nice while it lasted, now back to mid table we go' ?

Some tactical rethinks, new player additions and we can soon be back to a top 2 position.

Last edited: