Kyle Letheren BUMPED from Southend v Argyle match thread | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Kyle Letheren BUMPED from Southend v Argyle match thread

Sep 2, 2008
Made a cracking save from a Toney free kick. Thought it was going to nestle into the far corner but Lethers got across very quickly. Very agile.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
It is unbelievably primitive thinking to put our upturn in form down to the goalkeeper. There are about 10 reasons, of which Letheren’s performances are one.

Jul 12, 2016
Why are some people so reluctant to praise Letheren? He has surpassed most fans expectations and has given confidence to the whole team.Logical thinking not primitive.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
oldage":3ckxa07f said:
Why are some people so reluctant to praise Letheren? He has surpassed most fans expectations and has given confidence to the whole team.Logical thinking not primitive.

Because:

1. Ryan Edwards and Niall Canavan are playing together and both fully fit.
2. Gary Sawyer is back and has brought experience.
3. We’ve had the same starting lineup or less than one change in 7 matches in a row I think now.
4. Lameiras is in red hot form.
5. Carey has put together his best run of the season.
6. We are pressing higher up the pitch.
7. We are defending less narrow.
8. We’ve become a lot more clinical in front of goal.
9. We’ve got less injuries.

They are all factors. Letheren has done well, but let’s not pretend he is the main reason we are on this great run, there’s way more to it than that.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
oldage":2yk2m4h1 said:

Kyle has certainly proved the doubters wrong thus far. He has waited patiently for his chance and has grabbed it with both hands. Long may his, and the rest of the teams, good form continue. :thumbup: :scarf:

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Nobby":3o3z1uur said:
oldage":3o3z1uur said:

Because:

3. We’ve had the same starting lineup or less than one change in 7 matches in a row I think now.

They are all factors. Letheren has done well, but let’s not pretend he is the main reason we are on this great run, there’s way more to it than that.
Yeah but I think 1,2,6,7 are in correlation with Letheren.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
r4h4al":3jyoo6ra said:
Nobby":3jyoo6ra said:
oldage":3jyoo6ra said:

Because:

Yeah but I think 1,2,6,7 are in correlation with Letheren.

The pressing and defensive width would not be anything to do with Letheren, it’s team shape and not determined by the goalkeeper.

1 and 2 are correlated as they part of the same unit. But my point is prior to Letheren, these players have barely played together as a unit and it is showing that we are for more capable now they’ve had a chance too. Yes that is partially because of KL, but it’s a luxury Matt Macey was not afforded.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I just think when you have a poor GK the natural instinct is for the back 4 to drop back to help protect the goal.

That then means the rest of the team has to drop back, nullifying our attacking play, Ruben and Carey etc.

Mar 16, 2009
London
r4h4al":3ibmklmy said:
I just think when you have a poor GK the natural instinct is for the back 4 to drop back to help protect the goal.

That then means the rest of the team has to drop back, nullifying our attacking play, Ruben and Carey etc.

Macey is not a poor keeper though. He’s been quality in Arsenal’s first team (I was there) - and he’s played out of his skin for us on occasions this season. Nobby’s points are all valid imo.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Justin":2gl6g2nn said:
r4h4al":2gl6g2nn said:

Macey is not a poor keeper though. He’s been quality in Arsenal’s first team (I was there) - and he’s played out of his skin for us on occasions this season. Nobby’s points are all valid imo.
According to Wiki he's not played for Arsenal. He is poor imo.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
r4h4al":2qbdsk91 said:
Justin":2qbdsk91 said:
r4h4al":2qbdsk91 said:

I believe he made an appearance in the Europa League last year. I think he kept a clean sheet v Partizan Belgrade.

Oct 5, 2013
Macey is clearly not a poor goalkeeper, it’s just that he lacks several aspects of the finished article; Letheren is the more complete player (in particular, when it comes to distribution he kicks like an outfield player and is able to find the player he’s looking for, he can throw and set off a quick counterattack, he shouts a lot and commands his defence, he comes out quickly to smother through balls, and he pulls off amazing saves as well).
The table speaks for itself, as the saying goes, and since he’s been picked we’ve gone up 8 places with only one defeat in 6 games.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It's a shame Portsmouth scored from the resulting corner but Kyle's save on Saturday was outstanding and even got him a high five from one of the Portsmouth players.

Sep 6, 2006
r4h4al":2496bjmh said:
Justin":2496bjmh said:
r4h4al":2496bjmh said:

Justin saw it so obviously he has!

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Balham_Green":2kyv56w0 said:
r4h4al":2kyv56w0 said:
Justin":2kyv56w0 said:
r4h4al":2kyv56w0 said:

Justin saw it so obviously he has!

He's played twice for Arsenal. League cup vs Norwich and Europa league vs Red Star Belgrade.
Wikipedia does list both of those appearances.