January shopping list? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

January shopping list?

Jul 28, 2020
I’m not normally one of those ‘always look back’ people but I wonder if we could pinch Jamille Matt. I think he’d fit the mould of a tall powerful striker and something different to what we have.
Jamille Matt was a great player for us in 2016 under DA and enjoyed watching him play- he was very effective- got 5 goals in 11 games. He’s listed as 6’1” but seemed a lot taller than that ( so I’m not sure this is right), he’s 32 though and not that quick - so not sure he’s the guy we need at this stage.

I certainly agree that we need a big ( and preferably quick and mobile) centre forward with a proven goalscoring record.

Arnand Gnanduillet will apparently be leaving Hearts this January. At 6’4” the 29 year old could fit the bill. He’s also quicker than Matt - and has done it all before at this level ( 25 goals in 73 appearances for Blackpool 2018-2020). Could money be an issue here though - transfer fee and wages ?

Out of contract League Of Ireland centre Forward Georgie Kelly - aged 25, 6’2” has been mentioned as a target for various clubs. The Bohemians striker, now a free agent, would represent a gamble inspite of being named as league of Ireland player of the year and top goal scorer. Perhaps a gamble too far for Argyle ? But perhaps a good punt as a ‘development’ player?

It’s interesting that there are noises off stage suggesting that the purse strings be loosened to allow Danny Cowley to sign Kyle Wootton aged 25 ( 6’2”) centre forward at Notts County (See the piece in “the news” by Sam cox, 31/12/21), to solve the goalscoring problems at Pompey.Wootton was in the vanarama nationwide team of the season, last season.Wootton is out of contract in the summer- and has scored 41 goals in 87 games for county. I like what I’ve seen of him - and he put me very much in mind of Mickey Evans- with a bit of pace added.

For me , from that list , Wootton is the man I’d like Argyle to target. He’d cost us, but would be money well spent in my opinion...