January shopping list? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

January shopping list?

Jul 28, 2020
i think we need a goal scoring midfield player to ease the burden on the strikers and a right wing back to push edwards even though garrick could play there
I wonder whether Argyle are one the number of clubs thought to be watching Notts county’s versatile attacking midfielder Ruben Rodrigues ?

The former Den Bosch player, aged 25, is the club’s current player of the year. He has hit 8 goals this term ( currently 7th top scorer in the national league).

Speculation is that Rodrigues was the subject of a failed pre- season bid from Rotherham, who still maintain an interest in the player.

Like Ruben Lameiras, Rodrigues is Portuguese, by birth and there are also a number of similarities in their style of play.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
i think we need a goal scoring midfield player to ease the burden on the strikers and a right wing back to push edwards even though garrick could play there
Broom could realistically finish the season with 8-10 goals, is that not enough? The chances of recruiting a Friio or Castle mid-season are slim. I personally think the midfield is the least of our problems.

Jul 28, 2020
Hopefully no players depart but based on the current squad I think we should sign 3 players during the January transfer window - either on loan or permanent.

1. A tall powerful striker just to give the team some variation, especially late in a game as a sub when we can play long balls. Lowe has mentioned he doesn't play that way although he signed Frank Nouble last season so the intent to use a tall striker was there before.

2. Another centre-back due to the injury to Brendan Galloway, even though James Bolton should be back soon.

3. Another Joe Edwards - someone to push Edwards for his place at right wing-back but who can also play in midfield and has a track record of scoring from midfield.

Who are your choices?
Pompey have been linked with two tall powerful strikers within the last few days, in their local press. These two could also be of interest to Argyle- Georgie Kelly ( Bohemians) and Kyle Wotton ( Notts County).

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Pompey have been linked with two tall powerful strikers within the last few days, in their local press. These two could also be of interest to Argyle- Georgie Kelly ( Bohemians) and Kyle Wotton ( Notts County).
Also leaves a question over the future of previous target Harrison

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
I always think that football clubs & agents play silly mind games with other clubs in the transfer window & it is whether the professionals that deal with these matters get sucked in
Will RL revisit the situation with regard to Harrison or will he be looking elsewhere- we are no mugs & therefore whoever walks through the door (if any) are there for the benefit of the club

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
So what do we need?

Keeper
Mike Cooper
Burton
McCormick

Centre-back
Wilson
Bolton
Scarr
Gillesphey
Tomlinson
Law (left centre-back at a push)

Holding midfielder
Houghton
Randell
Edwards
Grant

RWB
Edwards
Garrick
Broom
Bolton

LWB
Grant
Garrick
Cooper
Edwards
Law

Attacking midfielder
Mayor
Broom
Camara
Randell

Strikers
Hardie
Ennis
Agard
Jephcott
Garrick
Shirley

So looking at that we still need a tall powerful striker for variation late in games, a left sided centre-back and an attacking midfielder (Alfie Lewis?)

It also shows how recently Garrick has become so important to the team by covering three positions.

A lot also depends on departures during January.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’m not normally one of those ‘always look back’ people but I wonder if we could pinch Jamille Matt. I think he’d fit the mould of a tall powerful striker and something different to what we have.

Reactions: David Doidge

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I’m not normally one of those ‘always look back’ people but I wonder if we could pinch Jamille Matt. I think he’d fit the mould of a tall powerful striker and something different to what we have.
Would he leave FGR with the strong possibility of promotion?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
18 months left on his 2.2k a week contract so definitely affordable but he would obviously cost us a transfer fee.

Probaly the last real contract offer he would get so I personally think he would come. FGR would be the blocker with JM being a key player for them.

Reactions: Cobi Budge
Jun 27, 2021
The Matt talk has popped up few times and usually gets a negative response, however he’s always been a handful and scores a few here and there, got more than a few this season, shame cause we could have had him for free but now at a fee I feel it’s unlikely.

Sep 6, 2006
Definitely the type of player we need. Not bad scoring record as well as offering more physicality.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Don't think that Matt would be good enough to play in the championship because if that is our target then that is the quality of player that we should be looking for.

Replacements for Camara and Hardie top the list of requirements (assuming they will go) alongside a temporary or permanent replacement for Galloway. Other than that there aren't many weaknesses. I guess we could move George Cooper on.