James Brent | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

James Brent

Feb 8, 2005
The whole idea of the board subsidising the Club should be shot down immediately.

Whilst Brent, and Hallett, are in charge, the Club has to stand on its own two feet. They will NOT allow the Club to be burdened with debt, and they certainly will not spend/gamble/waste their own money in an effort to push the club where the fanbase want it to go. The club is not ready for that, even if it were an option.

The Club has to support itself. It's the Club that is not as rich as we would like, which is hardly surprising, IS IT???????

Improvement year after year is what we have, and is all that we can expect at the moment. It may not be very quick for some, but it is the right way to go after nearly going out of business.

I really don't know what people come to expect.

You have to be realistic about these things, but it seems there are still more than a few dreamers amongst us with unrealistic ambition.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

jimsing":1caihr4y said:
The whole idea of the board subsidising the Club should be shot down immediately.

Whilst Brent, and Hallett, are in charge, the Club has to stand on its own two feet. They will NOT allow the Club to be burdened with debt, and they certainly will not spend/gamble/waste their own money in an effort to push the club where the fanbase want it to go. The club is not ready for that, even if it were an option.

The Club has to support itself. It's the Club that is not as rich as we would like, which is hardly surprising, IS IT???????

Improvement year after year is what we have, and is all that we can expect at the moment. It may not be very quick for some, but it is the right way to go after nearly going out of business.

You have to be realistic about these things, but it seems there are still more than a few dreamers amongst us with unrealistic ambition.

When you say “they will NOT let the club be burdened with debt, you’re forgetting something. Where do you think the £5m is coming from? It isn’t a gift. It is a debt that must be repaid.

No one anywhere is looking for unabated money squandering.

But actively seeking investment would be rather refreshing.

C

CADMAN

jimsing":1rrjeuix said:

Sorry to be the bearer if bad news, but where do you think the money has come from for the grandstand referb? We are millions of pounds in debt to our owners.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Kentishgreen":3enkc5ty said:
Why else do players move if not for money? Why have 10 players decided to move to Argyle this season?

You’re clearly getting mixed up.

Turning down offers from parent clubs, to move to another for more money - i.e. the Sonny Bradley scenario, is totally different to being released from a Parent club, and then looking for another club, i.e. the majority of our summer signings.

May 8, 2011
The Grumpy Loyal":1yqgy3cx said:
jimsing":1yqgy3cx said:

When you say “they will NOT let the club be burdened with debt, you’re forgetting something. Where do you think the £5m is coming from? It isn’t a gift. It is a debt that must be repaid.

The current board is extremely risk adverse when it comes to money, you only have to see how much money was in the bank from the published accounts.

If Argyle had an owner pumping his/her own money into the Club then Adams would have been sacked last year as the owner would have panicked about losing his/her investment just like Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Fleetwood etc did, so we are lucky we don’t have that sort of owner.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

bringonthemilkman":2v25j6ik said:
Of course the last time Stapleton actively sought outside investors worked out really well.....

And there we have the typical Janner attitude in a nutshell.

We should never look for investment because the last Chairman fooked it up.

:facepalm:

It never ceases to amaze me, the yokel outlook that a lot of fans have.

May 8, 2011
Hubble":2kvlbnrd said:
jimsing":2kvlbnrd said:

Sorry to be the bearer if bad news, but where do you think the money has come from for the grandstand referb? We are millions of pounds in debt to our owners.

We are millions of pounds in debt to the owners, so not to banks or outside lenders which is a good thing.

It wouldn’t surprise we that in the future the loan from Hallett will be converted to shares as happened with all the other loans from Directors or he may even write it off as a thank you one day.

May 16, 2016
jimsing":79fjsnjv said:

Agree, I view things along these lines too.

I can never work out what James Brent is supposed to be most guilty of, being a wealthy ish businessman who got involved in a Football Club, or not being wealthy enough of a businessman for some. I suspect the latter.

There's no denying the land grab part of the deal when he took over, and not sonething I wish had happened, but probably is exactly what any other suitor had up their sleeves anyway. (Cinema was mooted by one bidder I recall ?).

Yes, we are getting the cheaper option, but, we are also getting the least amount of debt. Argyle simply is not a well enough supported club to be able to afford the grand designs and plans of the more fertile imaginations.

We would all love the multi billionaire to ride into view, but Im nearer 60 than ever before, been waiting for quite some time and he still hasnt appeared.

Feb 8, 2005
The Grumpy Loyal":2cvx6q0k said:
jimsing":2cvx6q0k said:

Read my post again, people.

I said BURDENED with debt.

Manageable debt is what we have, and Hallett has already said that he was prepared to put more into the pot but he didn't want to BURDEN the Club with unmanageable debt.

Do you not see the difference?

T

The Grumpy Loyal

You talk as if there is a line in the sand. Up to the line is manageable. Beyond the line is a burden.

What you ignore from my post is the INVESTMENT part.

Seeking INVESTMENT, would allow your line in the sand to shift considerably, and perhaps take Argyle to a level none of us have been to before.

What is sad is there there appears no will from many to ever try, or even hope that we could get there.

Argyle trundling along as perennial lower league fodder is a depressing thought for me. I realise that for some simply Argyle existing is enough. I guess people just have different aspirations

Any investor would seek a return on their investment. 'Perhaps' taking Argyle to the next level is nowhere near the guaranteed return on investment an investor would need...

When people suggest the club looks for an investor, what they actually seem to mean is they want someone to throw their money into the club for little or no chance of any return. That's not an investment.

May 16, 2016
Maybe, after (if) the refurb gets done, and once up and running, proves to be the success in terms of income in the original business plan, then maybe, just maybe, the Club will be easier to "sell" to potential investors or even new owners.

Apr 30, 2011
The Grumpy Loyal":3ewt2r39 said:
jimsing":3ewt2r39 said:
The Grumpy Loyal":3ewt2r39 said:
jimsing":3ewt2r39 said:

Read my post again, people.

I said BURDENED with debt.

Manageable debt is what we have, and Hallett has already said that he was prepared to put more into the pot but he didn't want to BURDEN the Club with unmanageable debt.

Do you not see the difference?

You talk as if there is a line in the sand. Up to the line is manageable. Beyond the line is a burden.

What you ignore from my post is the INVESTMENT part.

Seeking INVESTMENT, would allow your line in the sand to shift considerably, and perhaps take Argyle to a level none of us have been to before.

What is sad is there there appears no will from many to ever try, or even hope that we could get there.

Argyle trundling along as perennial lower league fodder is a depressing thought for me. I realise that for some simply Argyle existing is enough. I guess people just have different aspirations

Isn't the 5 million or so from Mr Hallett an investment?

Theoretically, it will increase non match day revenue, improve spectator experience and make the club more attractive to potential signings, advertisers and other investors? Thus increasing the club's income and asset value, which may prompt us to be self sufficient at Championship level - a position we have not been in before.

If that isn't investment that I really don't know what is.